Dead Period?

google1

Reaction score
With the cancelation of the high school season, is there a "dead period" still in place or are the players officially released. Are high school players allowed to practice with travel teams now? When I say practice, I mean are they allowed to do small organized hitting sessions? Don't want anyone to get into trouble...

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
OHSAA does not want the kids playing or practicing with travel teams at this time.

With that said, Jerry's update today was as clear as mud as it relates to summer. He said he would wait to see how things play out basically over the next month and recommendations/restrictions from the Governor. No contact period may be extended and the 10 contact days may also be put aside this summer.

IMO, Its up to the parent on what they want to do and where they want to go with their kid. Ohio will most likely have a lot of restrictions on youth sports through fall so if kids are to play it will most likely be in other states. Practice will be limited as long as there is a gathering restriction in place.

google1

Reaction score
OHSAA does not want the kids playing or practicing with travel teams at this time.

I know they don't "want" them practicing with their travel teams but I didn't see any language that requires them to not to.
I didn't see any mention of club teams except that they was gonna have a meeting in regards to it.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know they don't "want" them practicing with their travel teams but I didn't see any language that requires them to not to.
I didn't see any mention of club teams except that they was gonna have a meeting in regards to it.

I don't see how they can possibly have any control over what they do???
High School season is over and it never actually began for probably 98% of Ohio teams.

If allowed by all the Orders, then they and their parents should do whatever the hell they want to do!

Mad Hornet

Reaction score
The OHSAA can exercise considerable control over travel teams if they require high school facilities to remain closed. Many events take place on school grounds as do practices. Everyone will be clamoring for any available rec field that may be open at that point. Or you go out to states with less stringent orders.

google1

Reaction score
The OHSAA can exercise considerable control over travel teams if they require high school facilities to remain closed. Many events take place on school grounds as do practices.

That's what I'm wondering... are their restrictions ONLY on the use of school fields? If so, this doesn't effect players from practicing

Mad Hornet

Reaction score
That's what I'm wondering... are their restrictions ONLY on the use of school fields? If so, this doesn't effect players from practicing

Correct. I know gyms are allowed to open May 1 so I would expect private indoor facilities or private properties would be practicable.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com

OHSAA has not relaxed any of their General sports regulations that covers players through Memorial day. This includes all facilities and locations.
OHSAA recommends parents contact their schools ADs if they have any concerns or questions.
You can contact Lauren Prochaska for softball related questions if you do not get an answer from your AD. <lprochaska@ohsaa.org>; 614‐267‐2502 EXT 127

With that said, IMO you as a parent (especially in these unique times) have the freedom to do what you feel is best for your athlete and family.
The 2020 coaches manual has no provisions on eligibility from infractions from one season to the next and its not like anything HS related going to start back up this spring/summer and by next spring the whole landscape of HS sports may look different.

Last edited:

Stedman00

Reaction score
Cannot see how OHSAA has any control on any spring sport athlete at this time. Season is cancelled. School is closed until earliest August? if players can find fields to safely practice, go for it. What't the potential penalty? Their HS team would forfeit the wins for the balance of the season this is already cancelled???

As far as schools closing outdoor field access, at least in my local area, I am seeing small groups using multiple fields on multiple days weather permitting. And all on school fields. Now, they appeared to be dad throwing with son / dd or hitting grounders, etc. Versus large organized practices, but certainly not closed to all usage.

Mad Hornet

Reaction score
OHSAA has not relaxed any of their General sports regulations that covers players through Memorial day. This includes all facilities and locations.
OHSAA recommends parents contact their schools ADs if they have any concerns or questions.
You can contact Lauren Prochaska for softball related questions if you do not get an answer from your AD. <lprochaska@ohsaa.org>; 614‐267‐2502 EXT 127

IMO, you as a parent (especially in these unique times) have the freedom to do what you feel is best for your athlete and family. Its not like anything is HS related going to start back up this spring/summer and by next spring the whole landscape of HS sports may look different.

Keep in mind softball players were always considered released to their travel teams once they were eliminated from the state tournament which in many cases was well before Memorial Day.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
at this point i honestly dont think anyone is going to care who does what... i am sure their minds are wrapped up in bigger and better things that are more important than if lil suzie went and practiced with her travel team. HS season is over. do what you feel you need to do and i would not worry too much about it.

daboss

Reaction score
I'm not trying to put words in anyone's mouth but the comments above could be referring to other reasons why it would be difficult to have any type of practicing right now. School ball fields are still closed. Parks are still closed for gatherings. Private fields are still closed for any gatherings to my knowledge. Indoor hitting/practice facilities are still closed due to being non-essential. These factors any many more would be reasons that some would say OHSAA is still influencing no contact or whatever term you want to use right now.

Bottom line; unless you have property of your own and you practice social distancing and all the other safety suggestions that are still in place, plus you keep the numbers to a minimum, it may be frowned upon to have any sessions right now. Just be patient. Things will get better. Find a family activity to burn your time away. Perhaps find some chores or start a project at home to occupy the family time. We simply need more time apart before we can get back together. It will happen.........

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Keep in mind softball players were always considered released to their travel teams once they were eliminated from the state tournament which in many cases was well before Memorial Day.

Again, I agree with you 100% ...OHSAA has stumbled through this whole process going all the way back to winter tournaments. I know of teams that are getting together at private facilities, and players working out with their private instructors. There are teams planning to get started in May with tournament ball out of state as TN,SC,AL,GA all have events still on. I look for FLA, and other southern states to also resume with some restrictions/guidelines...

What Jerry said yesterday is with the Governors order in place on mass gatherings, parks and schools closed he was going to hold off on releasing any new OHSAA guidelines as it relates to summer activities and contact periods until mid May but current guidelines were still in place. I guess he forgot about the ladies or teams that complete the season early or do not participate in OHSAA tournaments.

Snodgrass has hinted through his press releases that he may remove the 10 day contact period and extend other contact restrictions but right now everything is as clear as mud.

jt7663

Reaction score
My take .... Many of the A+ Organizations will & "ARE" still Practicing maybe somewhat limited but those girls will benefit greatly compared to the many that are developing their "Couch Potato Game" during this shutdown. (Little Leary at this time of using the original Post "Dead Period" although don't think it could be any more "Dead" than this!!

daboss

Reaction score
My take .... Many of the A+ Organizations will & "ARE" still Practicing maybe somewhat limited but those girls will benefit greatly compared to the many that are developing their "Couch Potato Game" during this shutdown. (Little Leary at this time of using the original Post "Dead Period" although don't think it could be any more "Dead" than this!!

You can't fix stupid no matter how hard you try. Parents participating with organizations that are still practicing during the pandemic are playing Russian roulette with a hand grenade. They'll be smug if they get away unscathed and quick to blame somebody if it takes a negative path. I have no respect for people that believe going against the grain is okay with society and justify their own gains from it.

It would do my heart good to hear that a TD turns them away from entering their tourney because they had direct knowledge of them doing this during the pandemic. All for a game? Come on!!!!!!!

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
not sure who these A+ org's are that you mention.... we sure aint practicing!!! and i know a lot of coaches from other teams that arent doing anything either...
where is Sam Kinison when you need him ?? OH OH OHHHHH!! NAME THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jk lol

Last edited:

OhPhat

Reaction score
From the players and coaches I know personally from very high level teams, none of them are practicing outside of their players individual workouts at home. I have even heard from a couple coaches that their organization presidents issued organization wide announcement enforcing the no contact rules.

As for the couch potato game, I would imagine that while there are many girls out there putting in little to no work, the girls on elite teams or with the desire to play on an elite level soon have been putting in a lot of work at home during this quarantine period.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
From the players and coaches I know personally from very high level teams, none of them are practicing outside of their players individual workouts at home. I have even heard from a couple coaches that their organization presidents issued organization wide announcement enforcing the no contact rules.

As for the couch potato game, I would imagine that while there are many girls out there putting in little to no work, the girls on elite teams or with the desire to play on an elite level soon have been putting in a lot of work at home during this quarantine period.
yup agree.. this is when self motivation and desire come into play. be smart guys! there are a lot of things girls can be working on.
if your going to do anything, now is a great time to... Work on your weaknesses!!

Long Baller

Reaction score

I have not heard of anyone practicing either, both Ohio and the neighboring states teams that I know of. I could imagine a scenario of kids/parents not wanting to practice, but reluctantly meeting up with the team and rogue coach for for fear of being benched when the season finally starts. The travel ball group is a crazy bunch.

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah...we are. I shut down our team practices a week before the stay at home order went into effect. We are still "practicing" virtually however. Powerpoint is a good tool to know how to uase as is Zoom. We virtually meet every week. We go over defenses in different game situations, base running scenarios, hitting scenarios, issue fun challenges such as the video virtual ball toss and all around have fun as a team. God forbid the girls actually get the training/education they and their families paid for.

Last edited: