Do you think Summer Season will be cancelled ?

SonicMojo

Reaction score
Just spoke to my state representative and things are going to get interesting on May 4. The assertion of Dewine having an 85% approval of his handling of the pandemic are way wrong. Hopefully he wasn't blowing smoke but it sounds like the legislature is ready to rein him in.

Are they going to introduce their reopen plan legislatively?

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just spoke to my state representative and things are going to get interesting on May 4. The assertion of Dewine having an 85% approval of his handling of the pandemic are way wrong. Hopefully he wasn't blowing smoke but it sounds like the legislature is ready to rein him in.
Agree! how many people on this site participated in this poll they speak of? I know i sure didn't get that opportunity.

coachjwb

Reaction score
Last edited:

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
coach, 800? out of 6 million+ registered voters. how is this even closely significant? i mean, it doesn't matter to me so no disrespect to you my friend! I dont follow or believe too many polls. they seem to be misleading at times, or politically steered or guided by media with agenda's or all of the above. JMHO

coachjwb

Reaction score
The significance depends somewhat on how the sample was selected ... but here's some info on the poll and how it was done ... and yes, believe it or not, 800 people is statistically significant assuming so. There's always a margin of error as evidenced by what happened in the 2016 election ... but even if it was off 10 percent, the point is that the vast majority of Ohio residents are pleased with how he's handled it, regardless of how the legislators feel or a few hundred people protesting in Columbus. Let's keep in mind that DeWine is Republican and that universities tend to be highly Democratic, and they are suffering financially as much as anyone from the quarantine. Not that it matters, but I do have a CPA/accounting/auditing background, and almost double majored in statistics in college ... so I am pretty familiar with statistical sampling.

https://www.bw.edu/news/2020/spring...-cautious-about-lifting-covid-19-restrictions

Last edited:

IRdad09

Reaction score
Per the governor's announcement. Face masks will no longer be required. That lasted a whole 24hrs. Again, I think just an example of speaking too soon. But this could certainly help out getting back to normal sooner rather than later.

coachjwb

Reaction score
I'm disappointed he backed down ... all 3 people I live with work in retail, and 2 have underlying conditions that could put them at risk ... MS and Type 1 (juvenile) diabetes. Though I recognized yesterday it would be all put impossible to enforce anyhow ...

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
the mask wearing is totally up to the employer / owner of the establishment. If they want you to wear masks in order to come in, they can enforce it. Dewine was just asked this questions and that was his reply. so, keep your masks handy!

Tallmadge Force Gold

Reaction score
He is losing support because he keeps either moving the goalposts or hiding the goalposts. When this started, we were told the purpose was to "flatten the curve" so that hospitals would not be overwhelmed. Mission accomplished. They're empty. The decisions are not being driven by science at this point. There's only one reporter who asks tough, data-driven questions and he is summarily dismissed by DeWine everyday.

I think the people that agree with DeWine's decrees now weren't paying attention early on. The goal was to not overwhelm the health care system. That was the goal. It was the only goal. It was the reason behind every move we made.

As citizens, we said we are OK with that and will do what is necessary to prevent our health care system from being overrun. Mission accomplished. It is now time to open things back up with that same goal in mind. It is NOT to stop the transmission of this virus, rather, it is to keep our hospitals available for those that need it. We are willing to take some risks as long as the risk stays low as it is now.

Governor DeWine lied and is now being taken to task for his lie. His popularity has gone to is head. Quit taking victory laps on national television.

IRdad09

Reaction score
the mask wearing is totally up to the employer / owner of the establishment. If they want you to wear masks in order to come in, they can enforce it. Dewine was just asked this questions and that was his reply. so, keep your masks handy!

“I understand some people may find that offensive, the government telling you what to do,” DeWine told WLW’s Bill Cunningham. "So what we’re going to say is we really recommend that you do this but if you want to walk in without one, that’s fine.”
“We made a decision that for retail customers, this is not going to be mandated. Government’s not going to mandate it,” DeWine said. "…I emphasize, I heard you, and we’re not going to mandate this. We’re going to leave it up to the individual customer.
I was more upset with he was trying to make we wear one when I went to the store. 100% agree that your employer could still make you wear one. Keep working from home if you can.
To your point yes, the owner could require you as a customer to wear one. However, there will be plenty of places that do not. It is my family and I's decision to wear a mask or not. Not anyone else's.

Tallmadge Force Gold

Reaction score
Faces of life cut short due to coronavirus.

Dwheeler83 I’m glad your ok with these people losing their battle with coronavirus. So tell me how many of the weak people life’s are you willing to sacrifice to protect your freedom? Is 50,00 or 100,000 life’s on your shoulders ok or would you be willing to sacrifice 250,000 life’s to protect your freedom?

You think this is only about "freedom". There are risks and benefits to every decision that we make. For every life saved from stay-at-home orders might be a life taken due to suicide, drug overdoses, obesity, child abuse, domestic abuse, or lack of proper medical care for other diseases.

I'm sure the list of tragedies due to car accidents would have many more sympathetic pictures of lives of young people cut short. Again, those are risks that we allow as acceptable.

Dave Coffee

Reaction score
“I understand some people may find that offensive, the government telling you what to do,” DeWine told WLW’s Bill Cunningham. "So what we’re going to say is we really recommend that you do this but if you want to walk in without one, that’s fine.”
“We made a decision that for retail customers, this is not going to be mandated. Government’s not going to mandate it,” DeWine said. "…I emphasize, I heard you, and we’re not going to mandate this. We’re going to leave it up to the individual customer.
I was more upset with he was trying to make we wear one when I went to the store. 100% agree that your employer could still make you wear one. Keep working from home if you can.

Why is it a big problem to wear a mask? If everyone wear a mask your protecting others. He'll the Japanese wear mask when they are sick because it's considered rude and unethical in Japan to pass your illness on to others. I'm not OK going into a store and seeing the workers wearing mask then watching all the filthy shoppers coughing all over my love ones. But I've never care for gross people anyway.

Robert Reiter

Reaction score
The Legislature can't overrule an Order from the Director of Health during an epidemic. Read the law. How long is it going to take someone to die from obesity? Drug addicts die every day and we keep bringing them back with Narcan. The other abuses are going to occur whether we're locked down or not. Is it so difficult to wear a mask when you consider that you may have prevented sickness, yours or a passerby, by doing it.

AnotherSoftballDad

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how bad they want the business to turn people away because of it. Especially when the shopping traffic is slow.

Run26

Reaction score
I don’t have a dog in this fight from a softball perspective (daughters are 22 & 25) but I understand those of you that are struggling with missing travel ball. TB was a great time in our lives and my daughters still say “Dad, remember when.....”. I of course remember everything as I’m sure most of you do as well.
Now with that being said; I think it’s important to ask yourself how much would your daughters suffer if they couldn’t ask you these questions? Let’s say one of you gets sick and don’t recover?
Yes, I too agree the data definitely looks skewed and the initial assessment may have been either overblown or a scare tactic. I guess we’ll never truly know what would have happened if we didn’t do the lockdown. Do I want to get out, hell yes but we have to be logical about how we do it.
Do us all a favor and give it a couple more weeks before we start bashing our governor or his medical officer. They are trying to keep the population safe and that includes all of us.
If the numbers stay low after we do the initial reopen then he’ll open up more. If people aren’t smart and act like idiots and we see a spike you may not see softball this summer.
Bottom line, we control our destiny. Do your best to make sure you have one

PaulP

Reaction score
My crystal ball indicates DeWine will allow athletic events if hospitalization rates don’t increase by the end of May. But there will be conditions that will be difficult to meet. Having a catcher (and an umpire) wear a mask on a hot summer afternoon would be cruel. Fielding a team may be difficult as some players for fear of getting infected by a dangerous virus will not play this season under any condition. And finding enough umpires may be next to impossible. I’m hoping some how, some way, it’s possible to play softball games safely this summer.

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why is it a big problem to wear a mask? If everyone wear a mask your protecting others.

Any mask that is not an N95 will have a very limited effect on any virus that is airborne which Covid-19 is. They now believe that not only can it become airborne through breathing, but passing gas as well. Cloth and surgical masks are for protection from diseases transmitted by larger aerosolized particles i.e. sneezing and coughing; not breathing. Granted, something is better than nothing but it's more about the optics/politicization of this virus than actual protection. In other words, it's more about the politicians looking like they are doing something and making the population feel like they are doing something to mitigate the spread of Covid-19 than actual safety.

https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/guidelines/isolation/scientific-review.html

Last edited: