Do you think Summer Season will be cancelled ?

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yocoacg. ok i ge
Any mask that is not an N95 will have a very limited effect on any virus that is airborne which Covid-19 is. They now believe that not only can it become airborne through breathing, but passing gas as well. Cloth and surgical masks are for protection from diseases transmitted by larger aerosolized particles i.e. sneezing and coughing; not breathing. Granted, something is better than nothing but it's more about the optics/politicization of this virus than actual protection. In other words, it's more about the politicians looking like they are doing something and making the population feel like they are doing something to mitigate the spread of Covid-19 than actual safety.

https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/guidelines/isolation/scientific-review.html
hey yo! i understand your frustration along with everyone else. I have said this from the start.... IF you wear a mask or even face covering it is not to protect you... it is to protect all others around you! you might accidentally cough, or you might sneeze.... you might get excited and breathe too hard and release some virus particles. IT protects others... not necessarily you. If you dont care about protecting others... dont wear it. its that simple. give it a couple weeks and things will loosen up. In Japan if one feels sick, they wear a mask in public because it is said to be disrespectful if you get someone else sick. just sayin....

Dwheeler83

Reaction score
Just spoke to my state representative and things are going to get interesting on May 4. The assertion of Dewine having an 85% approval of his handling of the pandemic are way wrong. Hopefully he wasn't blowing smoke but it sounds like the legislature is ready to rein him in.
Softball bomb keep believing all the lies and false numbers you want. This is wrong the way it’s being handled no matter which way you slice it. I know for absolute fact first hand that some of the deaths are being tagged covid-19 that are not covid-19. For example a lady 92 year old that my wife has taken care for 2 years with cancer, 8 months ago the doctors told her she had 2 months to live. She passed away April 2nd and without any evidence of her ever having corona virus she died from the virus they say(bs)! The numbers are all lies, the hospitals tag people with this virus to collect money from the government and they are controlling us with it as well. As for wearing a mask I don’t live in a communist country and I’ll be damned if you will make me wear a mask.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Softball bomb keep believing all the lies and false numbers you want. This is wrong the way it’s being handled no matter which way you slice it. I know for absolute fact first hand that some of the deaths are being tagged covid-19 that are not covid-19. For example a lady 92 year old that my wife has taken care for 2 years with cancer, 8 months ago the doctors told her she had 2 months to live. She passed away April 2nd and without any evidence of her ever having corona virus she died from the virus they say(bs)! The numbers are all lies, the hospitals tag people with this virus to collect money from the government and they are controlling us with it as well. As for wearing a mask I don’t live in a communist country and I’ll be damned if you will make me wear a mask.
heard the same thing.... get grant $$$ for every covid death. heard some 3000 plus deaths added in NY a week or so ago ... money is the root of all evil!!!!!!

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yocoacg. ok i ge

hey yo! i understand your frustration along with everyone else. I have said this from the start.... IF you wear a mask or even face covering it is not to protect you... it is to protect all others around you! you might accidentally cough, or you might sneeze.... you might get excited and breathe too hard and release some virus particles. IT protects others... not necessarily you. If you dont care about protecting others... dont wear it. its that simple. give it a couple weeks and things will loosen up. In Japan if one feels sick, they wear a mask in public because it is said to be disrespectful if you get someone else sick. just sayin....

Dan, maybe you misunderstand. Just by breathing, if infected, you can spread it through any mask that isn't an N95. You can contract it from anyone wearing a mask that isn't an N95 even if you're also wearing a cloth or surgical mask. I was just reading a medical article the other day that said even wearing a non-N95 mask, the virus can spread as far as 30 feet. I believe there was also a television news story on it Sunday morning on one of the networks. Of course, that left the news cycle after the first airing. Wonder why?

I'm not saying I won't wear one, just that it'll be an N95. The entire point is, what I ended my last post with. If Medical Professionals, who advise our politicians, know that anything other than a N95 mask does little to no good against airborne pathogens, which they do, then why are the politicians trying to mandate them?

Last edited:

SoftballBomb

Reaction score

I clearly understand your stance on freedom and your willingness to sacrifice other people life to protect your rights. Very noble of you Sir!

Mad Hornet

Reaction score
Dan, maybe you misunderstand. Just by breathing, if infected, you can spread it through any mask that isn't an N95. You can contract it from anyone wearing a mask that isn't an N95 even if you're also wearing a cloth or surgical mask. I was just reading a medical article the other day that said even wearing a non-N95 mask, the virus can spread as far as 30 feet. I believe there was also a television news story on it Sunday morning on one of the networks. Of course, that left the news cycle after the first airing. Wonder why?

I'm not saying I won't wear one, just that it'll be an N95. The entire point is, what I ended my last post with. If Medical Professionals, who advise our politicians, know that anything other than a N95 mask does little to no good against airborne pathogens, which they do, then why are the politicians trying to mandate them?

I've still yet to see a politician or doctor on TV actually wearing one. Do as I say and not as I do? Or good for thee but not for me?

coachjwb

Reaction score
DeWine wears a mask, but I know. he's just a politician. Pence should be ashamed of himself going to the Mayo Clinic yesterday and not bothering to wear one ... some of the doctors and nurses putting their lives on the line every day to save others had to be insulted by it.

coachjwb

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I get so frustrated trying to intelligently debate important topics with people these days. They ask for facts and when you give them facts, they call them fake news and have some kind of crazy conspiracy theory for everything. And then the government is not allowed to tell anyone to do anything if they don't want to even if it protects other. Hell, what gives police the right to arrest someone going 100 mph on the freeway, and killing someone that pisses them off?? Just venting sorry ...

And while a late start to the summer season is still possible, no I still don't think it will happen.

SonicMojo

Reaction score
DeWine wears a mask, but I know. he's just a politician. Pence should be ashamed of himself going to the Mayo Clinic yesterday and not bothering to wear one ... some of the doctors and nurses putting their lives on the line every day to save others had to be insulted by it.

And if Pence had worn a mask he would have been attacked for wasting PPE since he gets tested regularly and the point of the mask is to protect others. Since he knows he doesn't have it, he doesn't have anything to protect others from. It is so frustrating trying to intelligently debate important topics when some people just want to twist every little thing into some ridiculous political attack and ignore actual issues of substance.

Softydad

Reaction score
I think the people that agree with DeWine's decrees now weren't paying attention early on. The goal was to not overwhelm the health care system. That was the goal. It was the only goal. It was the reason behind every move we made.

As citizens, we said we are OK with that and will do what is necessary to prevent our health care system from being overrun. Mission accomplished. It is now time to open things back up with that same goal in mind. It is NOT to stop the transmission of this virus, rather, it is to keep our hospitals available for those that need it. We are willing to take some risks as long as the risk stays low as it is now.

Governor DeWine lied and is now being taken to task for his lie. His popularity has gone to is head. Quit taking victory laps on national television.
Bingo...1000% correct. Unfortunately that nitwit doctor Amy Acton acts like the world is going to end at every press conference, she too is enjoying the spotlight way too much. There is growing evidence worldwide that this virus has basically a statistically 0% effect on kids under 18 so to deny kids a summer of pools, friends and the outdoor sports they love is not fair to them. It is having a severely negative impact on many of their lives already. They are already missing their friends and sports from the spring season and the seniors especially are missing once in a lifetime experiences. Those who are at risk need to protect themselves and the rest of us need to get on with our lives. We are talking about playing softball outside in big Open Spaces in the sunshine. We are all smart enough to take reasonable precautions while going to softball games, it's not that difficult. Our forefathers who founded this country would be rolling in their graves watching what we're doing and how we're reacting to this....it's pitiful.

Last edited:

Softydad

Reaction score
I clearly understand your stance on freedom and your willingness to sacrifice other people life to protect your rights. Very noble of you Sir!

So is it fair for the many millions of peoples whose lives are being ruined financially and the real negative impact to their kids and their futures and everything they have worked for, to bear the brunt of this virus when it would almost certainly not affect them in any way healthwise? This virus that is likely going to have an effective infection fatality rate of around .1 to .2% when it's all said and done. Unfortunately every year flu-like viruses and influenza kill millions of people across the world, mostly the elderly and weak...that is the circle of life. In 2019 influenza and related pneumonia was the number 3 killer worldwide / 3.3 million people. I'll bet 90-plus percent of people in the US right now who are younger and healthy with kids would much prefer the option of getting the flu in their family with virtually no chance of a negative Health effect then watching their Financial reality and their kids futures severly impacted by this. Why should these tens of millions of Americans pay the price for the virus instead of those who are actually affected by the virus? Sweden got it right. They made a couple of changes as far as mass gatherings but have generally decided to leave everything open and let the virus run through their country... therefore they're not going to have to keep facing second and third waves. They haven't ruined their economy and they have not negatively affected their kids futures. They will have herd immunity in the near future and this virus will be a thing of the past for them. Switzerland just decided to open up all their schools and have all kids go back to school because there's no evidence it's affecting kids at all, most of them don't even catch the virus and those that do don't have any negative health effects. I will bet that when those in the future look back on this pandemic Sweden will be the one who got it right and everybody else will be looking at that model as the way to handle these type of things in the future. Just let it run through the country with some reasonable adjustments as to large gatherings etc and to isolate those at higher risk as long as your health system can handle the inevitable peaks... and then be able to move on from it when herd immunity is developed much quicker. Then you don't wreck everything about your country in the process, causing all kinds of future economic and psychological damage that we will be digging out from for years and years...and you develop herd immunity so repeated waves won't be an issue. Much of the damage that we're doing right now won't be seen by the news media, simply because it won't be another Covid 19 death on the news, but those consequences will be just as real none the less as millions of families and their kids futures are going to be negatively affected in massive ways leading to all kinds of depressing situations down the line, it just won't be in the spotlight of our socislist media who thinks the only consideration is protecting every life at the expense of everything and everyone else...it's ridiculous and short sighted. Does taking away a chance for kids to play sports, whether it's just the improved mental health of these kids, or for some the chance to get a scholarship in college that eventually leads them down a better path in their lives not matter? What price are we really paying to not only shut down the economy, but denying opportunities to play sports that have such positive long term ramifications on millions of kids futures?

Last edited:

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I could give 2 shits about how you "feel" . When you have opinions calling to "thin the herd" and its just the circle of life where its survival of the fittest killing the elderly and the weak is ok for the sake of the "millions " of potential pyschologically damaged girls not having a chance at a scholarship , somethings wrong.

Softydad

Reaction score
I could give 2 shits about how you "feel" . When you have opinions calling to "thin the herd" and its just the circle of life where its survival of the fittest killing the elderly and the weak is ok for the sake of the "millions " of potential pyschologically damaged girls not having a chance at a scholarship , somethings wrong.
Okay Lefty, you really hurt my feelings with that intelligent response. I'll tell you what: if the governor opens things back up and we have summer travel ball you and your daughter can sit home in your house with your face masks on to protect everyone else and those of us who are just selfish and feel we should get back to living will all go play softball...deal?

Last edited:

OHsoftball

Reaction score
Well I have not said that at all so don't say "you" when that person did not say it. And again, everyone has their opinion and I have not once got the impression that anyone wanted people to die, thats just crazy. I think some just think the fix can't be more damaging than the virus itself in the long run. No one knows the right answer.

Last edited:

Tallmadge Force Gold

Reaction score
Seems to me, this thread is a fairly intelligent debate with people that have different opinions. Just because you have a different opinion from someone else doesn't necessarily mean that person is unintelligent.

Personally, I'm for opening up softball and all the other things that we can safely resume. I'm not focused specifically on softball but since this forum is dedicated to the sport, it is going to come up in regards to this discussion. I don't think it makes much sense to belittle someone because they think it is safe to play softball.

IRdad09

Reaction score
Seems to me, this thread is a fairly intelligent debate with people that have different opinions. Just because you have a different opinion from someone else doesn't necessarily mean that person is unintelligent.

Personally, I'm for opening up softball and all the other things that we can safely resume. I'm not focused specifically on softball but since this forum is dedicated to the sport, it is going to come up in regards to this discussion. I don't think it makes much sense to belittle someone because they think it is safe to play softball.

I think this is a very good point. I'm not trying to push softball on anyone. This is a softball forum as I have stated before. I am for all things opening back up in a logical manner, not just being able to play softball. IMO softball should be "easier" than some other things. Am I fine with me and my family, including my parents, who are in their 60's and 70;s, going to an open field in nice weather with relativity few people around. 100% I am. We are already going to crowded local parks to fish and walk trails softball fields would be no different. On the other hand would I take my family out to dinner and sit in a crowded restaurant in the current state or even very near future. 100% I would not.

As this discussion points out and I too feel it is a fairly intelligent one as well, there is no right or wrong answer. Do we all have opinions, absolutely. This is what makes this country great is the ability to have our own opinion. You certainly do not have to agree with me that is perfectly fine. However, allow those that have an opinion to voice them which will allow this discussion to carry on.

Last edited: