Do you think Summer Season will be cancelled ?

Dawgsdad

Reaction score
At this point, we have heard the same points over and over. Either you agree or disagree. How about someone who has the ability, just make a poll and let everyone vote?

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay Lefty, you really hurt my feelings with that intelligent response. I'll tell you what: if the governor opens things back up and we have summer travel ball you and your daughter can sit home in your house with your face masks on to protect everyone else and those of us who are just selfish and feel we should get back to living will all go play softball...deal?
LOL, lefty? Check my past posts newb, im far from one. Your post was over the top and extreme. You came across as the stereotypical crazed younger age group parent that expects their DD to go to Arizona at 10u let alone get a scholarship. And people dying be damn if thats getting in YOUR way. Youre letting that frustration get in the way of reality.
Whether you believe it or not, this wasnt your "usual" virus. Yes, it is primarily taking older and people with extenuating conditions, but it has inflicted others. If defensive measures werent taken who knows how bad it could be right now. It is a totally unique situation where no one has ever dealt with before and obviously some things worked, and others didnt. But bitching because things are cramping your DD's (actually YOUR ambitions} does nothing but make you look ignorant and selfish.

I do agree on healthy debate and will concede "stupid" was not the best way to describe how far this has gotten off track.

Last edited:

Dwheeler83

Reaction score
The same people who believe in abortion are same people complaining about letting this virus run it’s course because it cruel. Let’s get back to life and that includes softball

coachjwb

Reaction score
I see it as an intelligent and relevant debate as well. And just to be transparent, I have no "political" view on this subject. I am an independent voter, and on this particular issue I am pleased with how our Republican governor has handled the situation, and disappointed with how the Republican DC administration has. I do think the mortality rate of this virus will be much much higher than the annual flus that go around which have little if any social distancing, but none of us are going to know that for a while.

Let me throw a different wrench into the equation. Let's assume summer ball did start up at some point ... whether it was on May 15 or July 1. Given there is wide disparity of opinions about the severity of the situation, on a typical 10-12 player roster, how many parents might choose for their child not to play? Let's assume an 11 player roster ... what if say 4 parents say they're not doing it. What happens then?

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
I see it as an intelligent and relevant debate as well. And just to be transparent, I have no "political" view on this subject. I am an independent voter, and on this particular issue I am pleased with how our Republican governor has handled the situation, and disappointed with how the Republican DC administration has. I do think the mortality rate of this virus will be much much higher than the annual flus that go around which have little if any social distancing, but none of us are going to know that for a while.

Let me throw a different wrench into the equation. Let's assume summer ball did start up at some point ... whether it was on May 15 or July 1. Given there is wide disparity of opinions about the severity of the situation, on a typical 10-12 player roster, how many parents might choose for their child not to play? Let's assume an 11 player roster ... what if say 4 parents say they're not doing it. What happens then?

I read a post about what you're saying Jeff but couldn't find it. Someone said there team pull out of all tournaments and we're going to look at opportunity in July to play maybe a few tournaments in August but I believe the org poster said the team also sent back money from the players fee's because over 50% of the team parents were furloughed if I remember right the team was returning all they could to help and not so much worry about softball but making sure the family had the extra money in there pockets.

On aother point I've talk to a few TD'S that are saying they won't be able to find umpires and will have to take less teams then they had plan. At least one TD said he's going to need to reduce his tournament in half.

Last edited:

Cat-Man

Reaction score
Breaking News - The Little League World Series has just been cancelled.

Not as bad as it may seem. From the President and CEO of Little League:

Travel restrictions is one of the main obstacles facing the Little League World Series this summer, with complex immigration policies impacting teams from other countries. Keener said it would “irresponsible and impossible” to bring in teams from across the world.

There is hope for Little League baseball and softball on the local level. As individual states begin to reopen activities, Keener says there is optimism about restarting local Little League seasons, but that they will not conclude with a World Series tournament.

Local teams could compete and take part in district tournaments, and perhaps even sectional, or state tournaments.

Softydad

Reaction score
LOL, lefty? Check my past posts newb, im far from one. Your post was over the top and extreme. You came across as the stereotypical crazed younger age group parent that expects their DD to go to Arizona at 10u let alone get a scholarship. And people dying be damn if thats getting in YOUR way. Youre letting that frustration get in the way of reality.
Whether you believe it or not, this wasnt your "usual" virus. Yes, it is primarily taking older and people with extenuating conditions, but it has inflicted others. If defensive measures werent taken who knows how bad it could be right now. It is a totally unique situation where no one has ever dealt with before and obviously some things worked, and others didnt. But bitching because things are cramping your DD's (actually YOUR ambitions} does nothing but make you look ignorant and selfish.

I do agree on healthy debate and will concede "stupid" was not the best way to describe how far this has gotten off track.
Your post is about as far off from reality as it could be when it comes to my views and where my daughter and I are coming from on this issue. You literally couldn't be more wrong on any of it as far as my viewpoint and why I feel the way I do. This may shock you, but there are massive numbers of people who agree with me and think the government's reaction has gone way too far. They're stepping on civil liberties and destroying millions of peoples lives financially when the data does not support the measures that have been taken. Our own nitwit Dr. Acton said in the beginning of the lock down we would be getting 62,000 new cases a day during the peak in Ohio. When that number became ridiculous after 2-3 weeks she changed course and said we would still be getting 10,000 new cases a day. Of course that was also lunacy and in reality she has been so far off of everything when it comes to actual data...not her guesses...it's been absurd. The hospitals in Ohio and across the country are mostly empty and many are literally going bankrupt because of this nonsense. When you take out the prisons and nursing homes cases on Ohio, which is the correct way to evaluate the numbers for the general population, Ohio had a TOTAL OF 700 NEW CASES LAST WEEK IN THE ENTIRE STATE OF OHIO. That is about 63 new cases for every 100,000 people. When this lockdown was started we were all told 100% the reason was to limit the spikes in serious virus cases so our hospitals could handle the massive number of cases that were "sure to come" without getting overwhelmed. That was the stated goal and reason for the action as said by our Governor and Dr. "make it up as I go" Acton. Well, we have passed our "peak" with now approximately 9% of ICU beds occupied. So, if they were being honest initially then we should all be getting back to living fairly normally very soon...but that's not what's happening because they keep moving the goal posts. We were told by Mike Dewine and Dr. Acton that they were going to be very transparent and all of their decisions would be based on the actual data, not models, but that is not reality.

As to softball this year, my daughter actually is a very good player in 14U (she had 12+ offers last summer simply from coaches who sought her out, mostly after seeing her play against their teams... half were teams that had to bump up to 16U this year) and she is the one who has been asking me everyday since this started if we will have travelball, because SHE is the one who is going to be devastated if we don't have a travel softball season after not getting to play on her HS versity team this past spring. No idea if she wants to play in college, we haven't really talked about it and she likes basketball as much as softball. She is simply missing the competition and seeing her friends on the team. So to summarize, you are way off with your assumptions about us....and surprisingly there are many who don't agree with your CNN left-wing views about the virus and how it should be handled going forward. My opinion is the health aspects of the damage from the virus needs to be balanced against all the other extremely damaging long term impacts created by our response... and in my opinion that's not what's happening. I believe we're way too slanted towards the health aspects while essentially ignoring the rest of it and that needs to change soon as a country or we're going to go down a path that's going to lead to serious, permanent damage for many more than the virus will take. As to softball tourneys, I think adults are very capable of being smart enough to keep a reasonably safe distance from each other and wearing a face mask if required at a large softball complex watching softball games...really not that difficult. Lastly, the serology testing for antibodies that is starting to ramp up is already consistently showing the fatality rate from this disease for people who are reasonable healthy without other co-morbidity factors and under the age of 70 is going to be tiny.

And those will be my last words on the subject, which I'm sure some or many of you will appreciate. Hopefully we will all be watching our girls playing softball outside in the sunshine soon.

Last edited:

AnotherSoftballDad

Reaction score
Not as bad as it may seem. From the President and CEO of Little League:

Travel restrictions is one of the main obstacles facing the Little League World Series this summer, with complex immigration policies impacting teams from other countries. Keener said it would “irresponsible and impossible” to bring in teams from across the world.

There is hope for Little League baseball and softball on the local level. As individual states begin to reopen activities, Keener says there is optimism about restarting local Little League seasons, but that they will not conclude with a World Series tournament.

Local teams could compete and take part in district tournaments, and perhaps even sectional, or state tournaments.
Thank you for giving more info than just giving the headline....that is a big thing nowadays. Deliver the headline without the other pertinent information.

Robert Reiter

Reaction score
My bad, I presumed that people here were intelligent enough to do their own research

sunny11

Reaction score
Your post is about as far off from reality as it could be when it comes to my views and where my daughter and I are coming from on this issue. You literally couldn't be more wrong on any of it as far as my viewpoint and why I feel the way I do. This may shock you, but there are massive numbers of people who agree with me and think the government's reaction has gone way too far. They're stepping on civil liberties and destroying millions of peoples lives financially when the data does not support the measures that have been taken. Our own nitwit Dr. Acton said in the beginning of the lock down we would be getting 62,000 new cases a day during the peak in Ohio. When that number became ridiculous after 2-3 weeks she changed course and said we would still be getting 10,000 new cases a day. Of course that was also lunacy and in reality she has been so far off of everything when it comes to actual data...not her guesses...it's been absurd. The hospitals in Ohio and across the country are mostly empty and many are literally going bankrupt because of this nonsense. When you take out the prisons and nursing homes cases on Ohio, which is the correct way to evaluate the numbers for the general population, Ohio had a TOTAL OF 700 NEW CASES LAST WEEK IN THE ENTIRE STATE OF OHIO. That is about 63 new cases for every 100,000 people. When this lockdown was started we were all told 100% the reason was to limit the spikes in serious virus cases so our hospitals could handle the massive number of cases that were "sure to come" without getting overwhelmed. That was the stated goal and reason for the action as said by our Governor and Dr. "make it up as I go" Acton. Well, we have passed our "peak" with now approximately 9% of ICU beds occupied. So, if they were being honest initially then we should all be getting back to living fairly normally very soon...but that's not what's happening because they keep moving the goal posts. We were told by Mike Dewine and Dr. Acton that they were going to be very transparent and all of their decisions would be based on the actual data, not models, but that is not reality.

As to softball this year, my daughter actually is a very good player in 14U (she had 12+ offers last summer simply from coaches who sought her out, mostly after seeing her play against their teams... half were teams that had to bump up to 16U this year) and she is the one who has been asking me everyday since this started if we will have travelball, because SHE is the one who is going to be devastated if we don't have a travel softball season after not getting to play on her HS versity team this past spring. No idea if she wants to play in college, we haven't really talked about it and she likes basketball as much as softball. She is simply missing the competition and seeing her friends on the team. So to summarize, you are way off with your assumptions about us....and surprisingly there are many who don't agree with your CNN left-wing views about the virus and how it should be handled going forward. My opinion is the health aspects of the damage from the virus needs to be balanced against all the other extremely damaging long term impacts created by our response... and in my opinion that's not what's happening. I believe we're way too slanted towards the health aspects while essentially ignoring the rest of it and that needs to change soon as a country or we're going to go down a path that's going to lead to serious, permanent damage for many more than the virus will take. As to softball tourneys, I think adults are very capable of being smart enough to keep a reasonably safe distance from each other and wearing a face mask if required at a large softball complex watching softball games...really not that difficult. Lastly, the serology testing for antibodies that is starting to ramp up is already consistently showing the fatality rate from this disease for people who are reasonable healthy without other co-morbidity factors and under the age of 70 is going to be tiny.

And those will be my last words on the subject, which I'm sure some or many of you will appreciate. Hopefully we will all be watching our girls playing softball outside in the sunshine soon.
Very well said. I can't imagine someone saying it better.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
anyone that has fields that can be used might end up playing 3 tourneys a week instead of just weekends. meaning 1 tourney monday and tuesday... another tourney wed and thursday, another one fri and saturday.... 3 a week. might be a good idea ? get the most out of the fields when you can. like opening up a second and 3rd shift in a manufacturing facility. operate 24/7

PaulP

Reaction score
I'm sorry but with only ten post you can't have a opinion on any post.

Just kidding. LOL[/QUOTE
anyone that has fields that can be used might end up playing 3 tourneys a week instead of just weekends. meaning 1 tourney monday and tuesday... another tourney wed and thursday, another one fri and saturday.... 3 a week. might be a good idea ? get the most out of the fields when you can. like opening up a second and 3rd shift in a manufacturing facility. operate 24/7
I can see organizations with access to ball fields setting up friendlies/mini tournaments if the larger tournaments are cancelled.

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I maintain and have control over a very nice private field. I've been thinking of holding a couple of round robins on our off weekends. Maybe 8 teams, 7 inning games or 2 hour time limits. The only cost would be an ump (if we could find one) and a new ball per team per game. We'd have to start Friday night to get 3 games for everyone but WTH. Why not?