OHSAA considering moving 2021 spring sports to fall 2020

TheHitKing

Reaction score
So it appears the OHSAA is considering a plan, should school resume in Ohio this August, to switch the fall sports to spring and the spring to fall meaning we could be playing softball at the HS level rather than fall ball for travel organizations.
I applaud the thinking out of the box, no doubt the weather is much more cooperative in the fall schedule wise, but if we were not to have a summer travel ball season I’m wondering what kind of an impact this move would have on travel organizations as far as rosters and player movement ?...I’m imagining a possible scenario of no real contact practice or tourney wise since February until at least November possibly??...

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So it appears the OHSAA is considering a plan, should school resume in Ohio this August, to switch the fall sports to spring and the spring to fall meaning we could be playing softball at the HS level rather than fall ball for travel organizations.
I applaud the thinking out of the box, no doubt the weather is much more cooperative in the fall schedule wise, but if we were not to have a summer travel ball season I’m wondering what kind of an impact this move would have on travel organizations as far as rosters and player movement ?...I’m imagining a possible scenario of no real contact practice or tourney wise since February until at least November possibly??...

You need to hold your applause!!! It is not for the benefit of Softball and Baseball! It is because they think the Fall could still be in jeopardy and they want to do what is best to try and get a high school football season in for the Spring! And I understand why - Football makes the money to help support many of the other sports.

Moving it to the Fall has been a topic for awhile now - But this isn't the right time or reason!!! They are actually putting the Sport at the bottom of the barrel, don't be fooled by anything else. It all boils down to what is best for Football. Once this Pandemic is over, Football will go back to the Fall!!! Softball will move back to Spring, because it works easier for many of the small schools who have baseball to keep together....

I sure hope they don't screw the kids out of 2 potential seasons. If it is moved, I feel they would have data supporting Fall sports could be in trouble - just like we are hearing about College football. That would def be a shame if the kids missed out on 2 school season, then watched all their friends playing HS Soccer next Spring!

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
with all the multi sport athletes in highschool, this would really be tough on them ... now they have to choose between sports on top of everything else that has happened? looks like a good gesture but maybe not the right solution. i know football is the big money maker but two wrongs dont make it right

grandpa

Reaction score
Think about the logistics to switching football. How many schools play teams from another state? Those states are not switching. How many teams would lose games, especially schools who are close to a border state? Most schedules are filled several years in advance. This would create a schedule nightmare.

FC2019

Reaction score
this actually would be the best thing for everyone i am a football coach too and football in the spring make since and softball and baseball start in july end in oct the weather is the best in those months would have little to zero rain outs

so baseball softball july to oct
then go right into basketball wrestling
then football and vball

it is that simple and should have been done years ago even in college that is the way it should be

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
we have all been dreaming about this for years......

Mad Hornet

Reaction score
Softball wise this would place Ohio players who want to be recruited at an disadvantage over players from other states. Showcasing is HUGE in the fall.

BA824

Reaction score
Not happening. See above fro meeting this week with State Softball Coaches Association and OHSAA

Coach Tony

Reaction score
No chance whatsoever that softball will be moved to fall ... Perhaps other sports may be switched around (football), but I am convinced high schools will not be playing softball this fall or any other fall.

Last edited:

FC2019

Reaction score
i know showcases are huge in the fall just saying if college moved also then the showcases would be in the spring

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
this actually would be the best thing for everyone i am a football coach too and football in the spring make since and softball and baseball start in july end in oct the weather is the best in those months would have little to zero rain outs
so baseball softball july to oct
then go right into basketball wrestling
then football and vball
it is that simple and should have been done years ago even in college that is the way it should be

I think it would bring down the level of play moving to July-October.... Your inner city programs and ladies that do not play any type of travel summer / fall ball this would not effect.
Most if not all of your better players and pitchers would pass on HS to play on their summer/fall teams during these months unless the no contact was removed.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
After yesterdays announcement 20/21 HS sports will be on life support...
Just waiting for districts to pull the plug...

OHsoftball

Reaction score
After yesterdays announcement 20/21 HS sports will be on life support...
Just waiting for districts to pull the plug...

Less than 1% of Covid19 confirmed cases are children 5-18. 3 documented deaths in that age group, all 3 had underlying health conditions. The fatality rate for healthy children 5-18 is ZERO %! There has also been no confirmed or documented cases of children passing the virus to an adult. (I'm sure they can but we kind of freaked about this) All of this info is from the CDC. So tell me the real reason why children will not be in school this fall??

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So tell me the real reason why children will not be in school this fall??
hate to go political BUT - because the Dems want the country to continue its downward slide... it's the only way they can beat Trump but i still think they will lose. Our media and far left has embarrassed our country beyond belief. I really get sick and tired of this crap and bashing and name calling and blaming ALL NEGATIVE every single day all day long for almost 4 years...... SMH. whatever happen to putting political agendas aside in the time of a crisis for the American people and everyone becomes 1 team with 1 goal? the government serves the people..... errrr. well, its suppose to be that way but not any more. there is no ONE TEAM. Maybe some of us coaches need to go teach them a lesson or two on how being ONE TEAM is stronger than the other way... sorry for the mini rant. lol

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Less than 1% of Covid19 confirmed cases are children 5-18. 3 documented deaths in that age group, all 3 had underlying health conditions. The fatality rate for healthy children 5-18 is ZERO %! There has also been no confirmed or documented cases of children passing the virus to an adult. (I'm sure they can but we kind of freaked about this) All of this info is from the CDC. So tell me the real reason why children will not be in school this fall??

I see yesterdays announcement as the start of major changes in our education system. Not to mention what schools, teachers students and parents have went through the past two months...

A lot of districts canceled the contracts of spring sport coaches and fall sport coaches will be around the corner.

Budget cuts will impact school staffing, busing, and other elective activities. Schools that keep sports will see a huge increase in pay to play and your lower income schools may drop sports all together.
Each district/building has to come up with a 10 week plan for fall instruction using blended learning and altering days of hands on instruction that could extend to 20 weeks.
This is going to cause all kinds of issues for students and families not to mention Teachers, Drivers and Coaches getting RIFd.... Sad all the way around and like you said no data to support it....

Last edited: