Softball in West Virginia ?

Heat Miser

Reaction score
My wife is from WV and her family said it is business as usual down there with the governor. If Dewine doesn’t move on opening up fields, I’ll be thinking of taking my daughter down there as a sub until her team is allowed to start back up.

IRdad09

Reaction score
We were just asked last night as a team if we would be willing to go to Morgantown, Memorial Day weekend. 6gg Saturday, Sunday and Monday. As of now it is on. However, if I'm understanding their reopening plan that would be the 1st weekend the fields and such would be open. It may be pushing things that early.

wpaguy

Reaction score
We were just asked last night as a team if we would be willing to go to Morgantown, Memorial Day weekend. 6gg Saturday, Sunday and Monday. As of now it is on. However, if I'm understanding their reopening plan that would be the 1st weekend the fields and such would be open. It may be pushing things that early.

what was the name of the Tournament ?

jt7663

Reaction score
Were Ready will be looking for Sub Opportunity!

RedsDad

Reaction score
I know you later posted that the tourney ended up cancelling, however I'm curious about the logistics of traveling out of state right now to play. Since your team was planning/willing to do so, perhaps you have insight with regard to having to self quarantine for two weeks upon return from out of state? Curious to know if you're aware of the current directive from the DOH to do so, and if that was an acceptable consequence/result for your team/parents? If so, was this discussed among the group, or was this decision made solely by coaching staff?

I've seen other parents from another big organization posting on social media that they're heading out of state here in just a few weeks to play since they can't here in OH, and I'm asking myself if they are willing to accept the quarantine or if they're simply blowing that off? Certainly not trying to stir any pots, and not judging, just looking for friendly insight/perspective. Believe me, I'm as ready as any to see my DD and all of these girls get back to playing. I'm just curious to hear some others takes in that regard.

Thanks, and good luck in your season, whenever that may begin!

IRdad09

Reaction score
I know you later posted that the tourney ended up cancelling, however I'm curious about the logistics of traveling out of state right now to play. Since your team was planning/willing to do so, perhaps you have insight with regard to having to self quarantine for two weeks upon return from out of state? Curious to know if you're aware of the current directive from the DOH to do so, and if that was an acceptable consequence/result for your team/parents? If so, was this discussed among the group, or was this decision made solely by coaching staff?

I've seen other parents from another big organization posting on social media that they're heading out of state here in just a few weeks to play since they can't here in OH, and I'm asking myself if they are willing to accept the quarantine or if they're simply blowing that off? Certainly not trying to stir any pots, and not judging, just looking for friendly insight/perspective. Believe me, I'm as ready as any to see my DD and all of these girls get back to playing. I'm just curious to hear some others takes in that regard.

I'll take the bait here. Our team is made up of girls from 3 states. My understanding is there was no plans to get hotel rooms or stay in the Morgantown area. Although it would have sucked it would have been a lot of driving back and forth. I do not know the results of the poll that was put up. Only the head coach could see the results. I do know teams from multiple states had been signed up for the tournament as well.

I'm working from home and yes I am aware of the "directive" to quarantine for 2 weeks after traveling. However, by then we will have retail and other shopping options open, so in my opinion the quarantine period is pointless. Additionally, as of the last time I looked WV had under 2k total cases. So compared to Ohio and PA that might as well be zero.

I've mentioned before under the current situation I have zero issues going to a field to play or practice. It is an open space with plenty of air movement. I hate to say it, but we cannot be scared forever of other people. Are we never going to gather again? Can't shake my neighbors hand? It has all gone to far, the numbers are not there to back it up the continued control over the American citizen. Testing is increasing and the fact the schools for next year are already beginning to talk about how they will be impacted and possibly not having sports is truly blowing my mind. Go to school 2 days a week and continue to distance learn. SMH. This Virus will be around for the foreseeable future and even when a vaccine is created, will it be 100% effective who knows or will it be like the flu vaccine that only protects against certain strains. Who knows, I sure don't.

SonicMojo

Reaction score

Where can anyone play in a few weeks??? As to your question about self-quarantining, Dewine himself said in his Monday press conference that he views the 10-person limit on gatherings as a "personal choice" and thinks that people can gather in groups of more than 10 when the individuals feel it's appropriate to do so. When he says things like that, it's hard to take other parts of the order seriously.

Tyberius

Reaction score
Reaction score
This comes right from the order itself. It states they are asking you to self quarantine, not requiring it.

"This Order allows travel into or out of the State including travel that originates and ends outside of the state. However, persons entering the State with the intent to stay are asked to self-quarantine for fourteen days unless they are doing so for critical infrastructure or healthcare workforce purposes."

jt7663

Reaction score
It's like were Lab Rats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RedsDad

Reaction score
This comes right from the order itself. It states they are asking you to self quarantine, not requiring it.

"This Order allows travel into or out of the State including travel that originates and ends outside of the state. However, persons entering the State with the intent to stay are asked to self-quarantine for fourteen days unless they are doing so for critical infrastructure or healthcare workforce purposes."

That's a good point about "asked" v. "requiring". In fact, I agree with you, Irdad09, and SonicMojo here. I know my employer is taking precautions to the extreme and wouldn't allow me to report to work for fourteen days if I were to leave state right now. I'm just thinking I can't be the only one in that situation and was wondering how this particular team was approaching traveling with that in mind since they were planning to do so. Like I said in my question, I too am ready to see these girls get after it. There are simply a lot of factors to think about, and I was curious to hear others perspective. Thanks for the insight.

SonicMojo

Reaction score
It's also hard to imagine going out of state to play in a tournament when no one has been able to practice for the last 2 months.

IRdad09

Reaction score
It's also hard to imagine going out of state to play in a tournament when no one has been able to practice for the last 2 months.

That is actually the point I brought up. For us, literally we haven't been together as a team since mid February due to basketball season. Sure everyone works on their own, but that is not a replacement for practice time and building team chemistry. It would have been a mess.

Last edited:

IRdad09

Reaction score
That's a good point about "asked" v. "requiring". In fact, I agree with you, Irdad09, and SonicMojo here. I know my employer is taking precautions to the extreme and wouldn't allow me to report to work for fourteen days if I were to leave state right now. I'm just thinking I can't be the only one in that situation and was wondering how this particular team was approaching traveling with that in mind since they were planning to do so. Like I said in my question, I too am ready to see these girls get after it. There are simply a lot of factors to think about, and I was curious to hear others perspective. Thanks for the insight.

The families from Ohio here would potentially be the only ones impacted there. There are no such "mandates" for Pennsylvania and West Virginia. West Virginia does have something in place, but only if you are coming from select areas.
I have a question for your @RedsDad. This is strictly out of curiosity. How is your employer tracking what you are doing and where you are going? I'm not suggesting anything by this, only I have seen a ton of stories of employers doing different things to help out. (Keep bad PR away)

RedsDad

Reaction score
I have a question for your @RedsDad. This is strictly out of curiosity. How is your employer tracking what you are doing and where you are going? I'm not suggesting anything by this, only I have seen a ton of stories of employers doing different things to help out. (Keep bad PR away)
My employer isn't specifically "tracking" me as an employee to ensure that I'm not leaving state. However, I do have to take time off from work to travel with my DD to tourneys, and it'd be pretty hard to keep the fact that she's playing under wraps. I have a multitude of strict guidelines I currently have to follow at work due to this pandemic, such as having my temp taken as I enter the building, wear a mask, etc. My point being that my employer is taking this to the extreme with regard to "setting the right example" (their words, not mine) in relation to health/safety during this situation, and I know me flirting with the wording of the DOH directive with regard to "asking" v. "requiring" would be a problematic battle for me until that directive is rescinded.

IRdad09

Reaction score
My employer isn't specifically "tracking" me as an employee to ensure that I'm not leaving state. However, I do have to take time off from work to travel with my DD to tourneys, and it'd be pretty hard to keep the fact that she's playing under wraps. I have a multitude of strict guidelines I currently have to follow at work due to this pandemic, such as having my temp taken as I enter the building, wear a mask, etc. My point being that my employer is taking this to the extreme with regard to "setting the right example" (their words, not mine) in relation to health/safety during this situation, and I know me flirting with the wording of the DOH directive with regard to "asking" v. "requiring" would be a problematic battle for me until that directive is rescinded.

Understood. Like I said I was just curious. Thanks for the reply and good luck with the season.

Stacey Cole

Reaction score
ok... Im from WV, we have less that 1300 cases and less that 500 active cases, we are set to go ahead June 8th and play
.. Where is Ohio, we have several tournaments and not sure if we should cancel those and reschedule for WV tournaments or go south.
Thanks