Do you think Summer Season will be cancelled ?

Richard Smith

Reaction score
LOL, lefty? Check my past posts newb, im far from one. Your post was over the top and extreme. You came across as the stereotypical crazed younger age group parent that expects their DD to go to Arizona at 10u let alone get a scholarship. And people dying be damn if thats getting in YOUR way. Youre letting that frustration get in the way of reality.
Whether you believe it or not, this wasnt your "usual" virus. Yes, it is primarily taking older and people with extenuating conditions, but it has inflicted others. If defensive measures werent taken who knows how bad it could be right now. It is a totally unique situation where no one has ever dealt with before and obviously some things worked, and others didnt. But bitching because things are cramping your DD's (actually YOUR ambitions} does nothing but make you look ignorant and selfish.

I do agree on healthy debate and will concede "stupid" was not the best way to describe how far this has gotten off track.
However, had defensive measures been put in place in January, we possibly wouldn't be in this position as a country or a state 3 1/2 months later. Just think, had Dewine and Acton informed the citizens of Ohio and put all these rules & restrictions in place then(January), like wearing masks, social distancing, 50% capacity in restaurants, workers wearing masks at work, maybe, just maybe, there would have been no need to shut down the state economy, unemploy millions of workers, strip people of their Rights under the 1st & 14th Amendments of the Constitution, and place financial burdens on families. Hell no, they knew about it in January, and for 2 months allowed people to gather at NBA games, college Basketball games, high school BB games, malls, Mardi Gras, political rallies, fly on planes, go on vacations, and cruises. Their failure to act months ago is inexcusable, and piss poor planning on their part, is the reason we are, where we are today. Has the measures of staying home, social distancing helped in slowing the spread? Absolutely. Should have it been done 3 months ago,? Absolutely.

As for softball. Anyone who thought softball was happening in April should have known that was not happening after the schools were closed in late March. Anyone who thought softball was happening in May should have known that was not happening when Dewine shut down the economy, ordered non essential people to go on unemployment, closed small businesses and cancelled school for the rest of the year. When school was cancelled for the rest of the year and HS sports was cancelled, it was a clear sign that school fields would close, and that tournaments in June are a possibility.

I agree with most on this thread, there is hope and optimism for summer softball/baseball. That there is a need for safety measures to protect players coaches, parents, grandparents and others. What I don't agree with Dewine on, is this. Opening up malls, stores and outlets with an unlimited number of people allowed inside, opening up restaurants while allowing 50% capacity in a confined space, and then singling out youth sports by restricting outdoor events in open spaces to no more than 10 people in a group. Contradiction at best.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
However, had defensive measures been put in place in January, we possibly wouldn't be in this position as a country or a state 3 1/2 months later. Just think, had Dewine and Acton informed the citizens of Ohio and put all these rules & restrictions in place then(January), like wearing masks, social distancing, 50% capacity in restaurants, workers wearing masks at work, maybe, just maybe, there would have been no need to shut down the state economy, unemploy millions of workers, strip people of their Rights under the 1st & 14th Amendments of the Constitution, and place financial burdens on families. Hell no, they knew about it in January, and for 2 months allowed people to gather at NBA games, college Basketball games, high school BB games, malls, Mardi Gras, political rallies, fly on planes, go on vacations, and cruises. Their failure to act months ago is inexcusable, and piss poor planning on their part, is the reason we are, where we are today. Has the measures of staying home, social distancing helped in slowing the spread? Absolutely. Should have it been done 3 months ago,? Absolutely.
Arm chair quarterback -- too easy to sit here today and shout out should have could have... in January? go back in time and check your dates. check what WHO stated mid January saying it was not human to human transmittable (close down the USA now?) noway anyone knew how crazy and fast transmitting this thing was and nobody in neither of our lifetimes had to shut down the entire USA economy and most of the WORLD.... comeon man. I know everyone is mad as hell...but be realistic. if your getting your info from CNN or MSNBC then your brainwashed. the president and Private sectors have done an outstanding and amazing job working together to the best of their abilities. JMHO friends.

Richard Smith

Reaction score
Arm chair quarterback -- too easy to sit here today and shout out should have could have... in January? go back in time and check your dates. check what WHO stated mid January saying it was not human to human transmittable (close down the USA now?) noway anyone knew how crazy and fast transmitting this thing was and nobody in neither of our lifetimes had to shut down the entire USA economy and most of the WORLD.... comeon man. I know everyone is mad as hell...but be realistic. if your getting your info from CNN or MSNBC then your brainwashed. the president and Private sectors have done an outstanding and amazing job working together to the best of their abilities.
My information came from the Ohio Department of Health website not CNN, MSNBC, FOX, ABC, or any other news source. My point in the post was life and the summer tournament outlook may be different today, had they acted sooner. No one has to be brainwashed to read the timeline on the Ohio Health Department’s website.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
not gonna argue about facts. do some research. you wanted to close the entire state of Ohio down in January? based on what facts? i would be happy to debate this subject / everyone has their opinions.

Last edited:

Richard Smith

Reaction score
not gonna argue about facts. do some research. you wanted to close the entire state of Ohio down in January? based on what facts?
Read my post, I never said to close down the state and economy in January. I said had they implemented measures in January like wearing masks, masks for workers, social distancing, went to 50% capacity in restaurants, maybe, just maybe there would have been no need to shut down the economy.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
based on what facts sir? explain if you were governor you would have done these things and based on what exact details would you ? now i am curious.
IF is a big word... ez to say IF - now. could have should have... why even think about it? the old dont cry over spilt milk comes to mind. personally i dont believe there was enough evidence from WHO - or the USA government in January for any governor to do much (maybe NY). Fauci was advising the USA and president that is was only a flu... it would pass.. etc... hell Pelosi was telling everyone to go to china town in February. How the heck would Dewine know other than what US gov. and Fauci advises all state governors. Ohioans would have his head if he did all this in January! lol

Last edited:

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I dont think anyone is reading what each other says at this point in this thread. No one took it as seriously at the beginning because we havent had anything like to deal with before, and we just DIDNT KNOW. Had we had realized that this was as serious as it turned out to be, more measures would have been taken back then, but i doubt they would have been a strict as they are now because of not knowing what we were really dealing with. So, yes, if they had, then things might not have got to the point they have.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
for sure hitter... a lot of crazy fake news and assumptions from all over... but i gotta say it when i see people saying IF this or that...
IF my aunt had balls...... she would be my uncle. so i dont see any reason talking about IF. jmho

Buckeye80

Reaction score
My crystal ball indicates DeWine will allow athletic events if hospitalization rates don’t increase by the end of May. But there will be conditions that will be difficult to meet. Having a catcher (and an umpire) wear a mask on a hot summer afternoon would be cruel. Fielding a team may be difficult as some players for fear of getting infected by a dangerous virus will not play this season under any condition. And finding enough umpires may be next to impossible. I’m hoping some how, some way, it’s possible to play softball games safely this summer.

Good points PP... someone else made a similar point about teams possibly not having enough players.... there will be players/parents who will decide that it is not worth the risk just to play a softball game... if you have 10-12 players on your team and 3-5 players/parents decide not to risk it (which I could definitely see happening) then you don't have enough players to play... and there are many umpires who are older (and even potentially younger ones) who may decide on there own, or their family will decide for them, that it is not worth the risk... I know that a lot of the posts on here are from people who are frustrated and want to "play some ball" but a significant number of people are, and will continue to be, fearful of putting themselves and their loved ones at risk.... JMHO

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good points PP... someone else made a similar point about teams possibly not having enough players.... there will be players/parents who will decide that it is not worth the risk just to play a softball game... if you have 10-12 players on your team and 3-5 players/parents decide not to risk it (which I could definitely see happening) then you don't have enough players to play... and there are many umpires who are older (and even potentially younger ones) who may decide on there own, or their family will decide for them, that it is not worth the risk... I know that a lot of the posts on here are from people who are frustrated and want to "play some ball" but a significant number of people are, and will continue to be, fearful of putting themselves and their loved ones at risk.... JMHO
umps... no umps. players no problem.... umps. i am still waiting to here from someone about umps.

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
umps... no umps. players no problem.... umps. i am still waiting to here from someone about umps.
I belong to another SB Forum that is more international/national in nature. A lot of the umpires from all over the country I talk to are saying that they are all older and will not be calling a game until 2021. They also tell me a majority of their friends/fellow umpires are of the same mind. I'm thinking that locally, we're going to see about half, or less than half of the ump availability we had last year. I can also see umpire fees going up as multiple TD's holding tourneys on the same weekend in the same region compete for those few available and willing.

Dwheeler83

Reaction score
well if we are paying more for umpires then they should be able to take an ass chewing for messing up. There the only ones on the field that are getting payed and also have the ability to kick a person out.

her mom

Reaction score
Just received an email from scenic city tournament that everything is a go for June 6th!

I wonder how that will work for the teams that are coming from states that have been told to quarantine themselves for 14 days after leaving and entering back into their state (not sure all the states that follow under this-I know OH and KY). Unless a lot of those parents are still not working but for those that are aren't going to be able to afford to do that.. That is given those teams are still wanting to go I guess also. And given that the states are still under that. It really sucks that everything is still so up in the air.. Do you know if they are following any certain restrictions or all is well and play and spectate like normal?

coachjwb

Reaction score
A couple of good points made above ... 1) There was no precedent for this that either the federal or state governments knew how to deal with effectively ... it sounds like some advisors had said we should be prepared on how to better deal with a pandemic, but the fact is we weren't. And the other fact is that this was a new strain of coronavirus that we couldn't have had an immunization before. Certainly we should be better prepared in the future, though it worries me now that people are revolting with what is currently going on and will try to resist the best advice of the experts in the future. 2) The state governments looked to the federal government for advice early on, and then to see what the other states were doing later. My take from watching national news is that Ohio was more on top of it than most, so I just don't get all of the criticism of DeWine specifically. If he had been even more aggressive, he would have gotten grief as Dan notes above, and if he had been less aggressive, some more of us or our loved ones might not be here to even debate about it.

It sounds as if most are willing to give it a try now to get things going again, and see what happens. There will no doubt be a price to pay in my opinion, but the question is what is the right trade-off with the impact on the economy? It would appear there is a decent chance that the opportunity for softball might be there still this summer, but will communities/organizations open up the parks, will there be enough umpires, and will there be enough families and consequently players participating?

her mom

Reaction score
At this moment Lasers Showcase is still on. Latest update from City of Columbus states Berliner is shut down through May 29. After that depends what the Governor says.

Sorry to post again, but where could we find the list of teams etc and has there already been a schedule made? If so, will that be on there also where the list of teams are that will be in it? Thanks for responding earlier :)

BA824

Reaction score
Sorry to post again, but where could we find the list of teams etc and has there already been a schedule made? If so, will that be on there also where the list of teams are that will be in it? Thanks for responding earlier :)

Here is 12u teams for Lasers Showcase. That is all I have
Pools 2020 12+U
A1 Ohio Blast - Dado
A2 Ohio Ice Black
A3 Ohio Hawks - Burton
A4 Lasers Scarlet 07
A5 Finesse - Gee
A6 Smash House Premier
A7 PA Stingrays 07
B1 Central Ohio Pride 07
B2 Ohio Blast - Fisher
B3 Ohio Storm 07 - Veno