MAC post season

eddienite

Reaction score
Did anyone else catch the news yesterday that the MAC is cancelling post season tournament play for Softball and some other sports? From the news last night, I believe it's 4 years of no post season.

I am interested in seeing how this plays out for recruiting and girls desire to play at a MAC school. Does this mean that people will just view MAC schools as just another small college instead of D1?

IRdad09

Reaction score
Did anyone else catch the news yesterday that the MAC is cancelling post season tournament play for Softball and some other sports? From the news last night, I believe it's 4 years of no post season.

I am interested in seeing how this plays out for recruiting and girls desire to play at a MAC school. Does this mean that people will just view MAC schools as just another small college instead of D1?

Yes I did see that. Very sad, but unfortunately it is probably just the beginning for these smaller conferences. However, when it is all said and done I'm sure some larger conferences will be doing something similar. https://www.cleveland.com/sports/co...-womens-basketball-and-volleyball-report.html

SonicMojo

Reaction score
This is on their Facebook page (sorry to continue the thread hijack--which was started by a "Super Moderator"! :)):

City of Kettering, Ohio - Government
15 hrs ·

Thank you for your patience during the past several weeks as we have worked to ensure the health and safety of our customers and staff. The following updates are additions to our original facility closures and program cancellations due to the continued impact of COVID-19:

Fraze Pavilion - All concerts and events are canceled for the 2020 summer season.

All Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts indoor facilities remain closed until further notice. This includes the Kettering Recreation Complex (including Main Pool), Charles I. Lathrem Senior Center, Kettering Fitness and Wellness Center, Habitat Environmental Center and Rosewood Arts Centre. For ideas to stay engaged, keep moving or unwind, visit our Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Department at www.playkettering.org and follow our Play Kettering social media outlets.

The Adventure Reef Water Park will not open for the summer 2020 season.

The Splash Pad at J. F. Kennedy Park will not open in 2020.

All Summer Camps are canceled.

All Summer Sports Programs are canceled.

Go 4th Fireworks Independence Day Celebration is canceled.

Refunds for any tickets, passes or enrollments will be processed automatically within the next two weeks.

The care and consideration for the safety of our customers and staff is paramount in making these difficult decisions. These facilities and camps are a big part of what makes Kettering home. We will continue to follow the direction and information provided by the CDC, Montgomery County Public Health and the Ohio Department of Health to determine a timeline for re-opening these important facilities.

Please continue to remain safe, healthy and active during this unprecedented and difficult time. We will remain ever vigilant in providing updates regarding our facility closures and program cancellations.

Mad Hornet

Reaction score
The way I read that it was that the end of season conference tournaments would not take place. However it seems to me the MAC can still send their outright conference champion to the NCAA tournament so there would still be some although less opportunity for post season for the MAC schools. No?

IRdad09

Reaction score
The way I read that it was that the end of season conference tournaments would not take place. However it seems to me the MAC can still send their outright conference champion to the NCAA tournament so there would still be some although less opportunity for post season for the MAC schools. No?

This is how I took it as well. This is just an end of year Conference thing outside of the NCAA tournaments or championships. So in theory there would still be opportunity.

eddienite

Reaction score
This is how I took it as well. This is just an end of year Conference thing outside of the NCAA tournaments or championships. So in theory there would still be opportunity.

I guess the way I read it, was that only Basketball( Mens & Women's) & Football would be going to NCAA tournament or bowl game.

I took it as there is no post season for baseball, softball, men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s tennis, women’s lacrosse and field hockey. No Conference tournament nor NCAA tournament play.

We shall see next year what it really means ....

Edward Melcher

Reaction score
I guess the way I read it, was that only Basketball( Mens & Women's) & Football would be going to NCAA tournament or bowl game.

I took it as there is no post season for baseball, softball, men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s tennis, women’s lacrosse and field hockey. No Conference tournament nor NCAA tournament play.

We shall see next year what it really means ....
Akron has announcements tomorrow as to what 8 sports they are eliminating. Ugh

Stedman00

Reaction score
Akron has announcements tomorrow as to what 8 sports they are eliminating. Ugh

Akron is in huge financial hole with recent announcement of closing 5 of 11 colleges within their university. Eliminating 8 sports might make it hard to still have 14 and remain a Div 1 NCAA school.

Can't blame them too much with a forecasted deficit of ~$65 million.

PaulP

Reaction score
Does anyone know way softball is a relatively expensive sport for colleges? Only thing I can think of is the field is expensive to maintain and isn’t shared with other sports.