State Protocals are posted!

Bob_Himmelein

Reaction score
Some one asked when my next tournament is. I have serious doubts as to if we want to do tournaments this year. I want to take the night to review this, we had a family issue today so not in a mood to be real objective. I will say this, I know many want to play, but this is worse than it looks. More to follow.

sftball follower

Reaction score
Some one asked when my next tournament is. I have serious doubts as to if we want to do tournaments this year. I want to take the night to review this, we had a family issue today so not in a mood to be real objective. I will say this, I know many want to play, but this is worse than it looks. More to follow.

Understood Bob and hope everyone is well and safe. Seriously if you need any help running any tournaments please reach out to me through a message. Take care. Thanks.

PaulP

Reaction score
I may be biased, but from the first time I read the guidelines, I thought it meant during gameplay, the girls only need masks when they are in the dugout or when grouped together on the field before or after games.

Softydad

Reaction score
So I'm taking it as the players & coaches are required to wear masks while in the dugout... (NOT in field of play and NOT as a spectator). Since the dugout area isn't mentioned.
If a park/venue decides the players sit outside the dugout (which I've seen suggested) does this mean they could get by without having to wear them since they are social distancing?

Im assuming the masks are because they can't social distance in the dugout and umpires being so close to the catcher. No one else is required to wear face coverings....
Great point. I think depending on the rigidity of the tournament director and umpires you can probably get away with not wearing masks at all if you spread your girls out when they're hitting instead of all being jammed into the dugout. More and more the scientists are saying there is no evidence of outdoors disease transmission at all, so there's probably a good chance after the first tournament or two this stuff about the masks is relaxed unless a specific hyper sensitive coach, parent, or umpire makes a stink about it. I think most of us realize that outside with plenty of space, the breeze and sunshine that forcing girls to wear masks when not in the field and it's 80-90° outside doesn't make a whole lot of sense and isn't preventing any transmission of disease. It just looks nice and makes governor Dewine and his nitwit Dr. Doolittle feel better about their "Guidelines".

Last edited:

Softydad

Reaction score
I think it's only worse than it looks if the tournament directors, umpires, coaches, parents etc. are too rigid. I'm sure some tournaments will be fine and others will be terrible, it'll depend on the people running it and those who use common sense vs the letter of the law types, like everything else in life. Honestly, a lot of it will probably come down to conservative vs liberal beliefs as to their view of the virus, because the political beliefs of those running the tournaments will filter down into how their tournaments are run.

Look at the vast differences between the various States simply depending on the governor's running them. The Governors in the blue states are micromanaging everything with ridiculous lockdowns and putting incredible burdens on their citizens making it virtually impossible for anybody to do anything. Those in the red States generally have more relaxed, reasonable Governors who are using common sense to reopen their economies.

I have a feeling the tournaments are going to probably run the gamut from very enjoyable to horrendous depending on how those who are in charge think and run things. Some tournaments will probably be very enjoyable where the TD's, umps, coaches etc are using a lot of common sense, while others will likely be run in a way where they are not fun due to overly rigid enforcement about everything.

Last edited:

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
After sharing the link with my players and their families, the feedback from 50% or so of the parents was they'd rather withdraw from every tournament and try again next year. I'm not going to let the others down so I guess I'll be doing a lot of posting for subs:(

RedsDad

Reaction score
After sharing the link with my players and their families, the feedback from 50% or so of the parents was they'd rather withdraw from every tournament and try again next year. I'm not going to let the others down so I guess I'll be doing a lot of posting for subs:(
That's honestly shocking. If this is the song and dance we have to do for a bit to allow these girls to play, then so be it.

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's honestly shocking. If this is the song and dance we have to do for a bit to allow these girls to play, then so be it.
A lot of them are worried about their DD's having to wear masks on super-hot days. They're already going to be hot and sweaty just from the sun and now you're going to make them breathe their own hot breath? Good chance for heat exhaustion according to them. The others are just against it on GP.

SonicMojo

Reaction score
A lot of them are worried about their DD's having to wear masks on super-hot days. They're already going to be hot and sweaty just from the sun and now you're going to make them breathe their own hot breath? Good chance for heat exhaustion according to them. The others are just against it on GP.

If that's the case then I'm sorry, but you're parents are being idiots. They don't have to have surgical masks. Most dugout "masks" will be cold frog toggs, like so many girls already use now. Please ask them to not be so reactive and try to use a little common sense.

Last edited:

Briguy6913

Reaction score
Field of play means batter and on deck batter won't need to have one on.

I would think WARM UP falls under PRACTICE. Because that is what you are doing. Masks are not required during practice. The whole reason they say you don't need one in the field of play is because of the possible breathing/asthma issues and that opens them up to even more negligence if a kid dies of an asthma attack while wearing a mask on the field. Warm up is just as strenuous.

Just guessing, but the thought of having the girls wearing a mask when not on the field is them probably thinking there would be 10+ people crammed in a dugout. You notice there are no number in dugout restrictions? IMO if you allow your kids to spread out in between innings, and maybe sit by their parents, and not in the dugout, they can probably get away with not wearing a mask between innings.

Coaches wearing a mask is going to suck. No lip reading and it will muffle yelling instructions. Not sure I understand no gum chewing? Because they don't want you to share? Choking hazard? Don't want you spitting out a contaminated piece?
You state no dugout restrictions, take a look at each sanctioning body, ASA, USSSA, FASA they have posted their guidelines and rules also that are on top of states rules, there will be no dugouts used, still have to distance in them and sanitize between games, TD wont be able to comply.

Briguy6913

Reaction score
Also keep in mind these are the starting point. Maybe they get relaxed some? Either way happy we have guidance and are allowed to play. Go back to the other thread and see how many people said no way we would
Play in June and doubtful in July and August. Field of play means both offensive and defensive players do not need to wear face coverings.
Also keep in mind these are the starting point. Maybe they get relaxed some? Either way happy we have guidance and are allowed to play. Go back to the other thread and see how many people said no way we would
Play in June and doubtful in July and August. Field of play means both offensive and defensive players do not need to wear face coverings.
I believe this will be eased over the weeks also as see how things playout, I do believe When in field of play it is meant inside the lines so offense beside batter/runner would have to comply. Is a different world

badmonkeys

Reaction score
The mandatory guideline states coaches " Must adhere to six-foot social distancing practices." it does not state "on the field of play" or " while the ball is in play". Does this mean that coaches cannot get within six feet of a player? Talking to a batter, pitcher or infield about strategy? From six feet away?
Practice: "Coaches and players must adhere to physical six-foot distancing except when the ball is in play" also Athletes: "Must adhere to six foot social distancing practices off the field of play."
So does this mean that teams should not be doing warm ups that involve two players or a player and coach doing side toss within six feet of each other? Drills where one player or coach sets a ball on a tee for the other player? Warm up jogs and runs? Six feet apart?
What about the traditional pregame fielding lines down 1st and 3rd?
And what about teams that travel out of state? Is the the 14 day self quarantine of your household when returning to Ohio from another state still in effect? Will that be lifted or an exception made for teams traveling for tournaments?

Bob_Himmelein

Reaction score
I have had some time to thing about this and read some of these post.. To the person who posted you can probably get away without them and calling other players parents idiots, your dead wrong and if these programs get shutdown, your attitude will be a major reason why. All Tournaments for the first couple of weeks will be checked on and the idea you are looking to see what you can get away with is offensive to those that have worked to make things open up.

Also found the comment that some parents of 12u players are "idiots" is so stupid, you need to look in a mirror to see the true definition of stupid. at least sign your name if you want to start calling parents names! The Warriors organization is well run and they care about players.

SonicMojo

Reaction score
People who are complainers will find something in this to complain about. There is nothing of real substance to these "mandatory" guidelines. The guidelines are an absolute gift to people who want to play this summer. If there are parents on your team saying they won't play because of these guidelines, then it's probably good riddance.

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
Personally I don’t see the big deal about their guidelines. I think they have been put together pretty well.

I am more worried about the guidelines to come from the venues.

If I have to wear a mask to protect you and your family so my girls can play ball I have no problem doing that. Done Deal!

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If that's the case then I'm sorry, but you're parents are being idiots. They don't have to have surgical masks. Most dugout "masks" will be cold frog toggs, like so many girls already use now. Please ask them to not be so reactive and try to use a little common sense.

While I agree with the sentiment of your post and the point you made, please refrain from calling the parents "idiots," or anyone else. They, like you, are entitled to their opinions right or wrong; informed or uninformed.

As a side note, I did talk to each set of parents individually and I did get 4 out of 5 onboard. I haven't reached the fifth set though. Hopefully sooner rather than later.