Umpires...Will You Call Games This Summer?

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
After talking with more than my share of umpires across the country, many have said that they and their fellow umpires are in the high risk group for Covid-19 and will not call a game until 2021. Others have told me depending upon the tournament guidelines they might call games and yet another group has told me that they will call games regardless of the circumstances. I'm curious. For our umpires on here, which group do you belong to? If you're willing to call games under certain circumstances, what would they be?

Bob_Himmelein

Reaction score
We have many umpires in our group add to numerous tournaments. While we have some "older" umpires only a few have indicated they are not willing to work. The biggest issue is if and how the state may allow games to be played. If they start coming up with rules that cannot be easy to follow this is not going to increase the desire for umpires or teams. We can all play what-if, but until we get some rules on if, when or how tournaments can go forward not much more can be decided.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
The latest round of direction from the state says that umpires would need to wear face coverings at all times. Have you ever worn a mask while physically exerting yourself? I have, because I started a new job that requires it. It makes for a horribly miserable experience!

Breathing your own hot exhalations, while you’re already hot and breathing heavily, makes it feel like you’re being smothered and makes you get even hotter. Not to mention that you’re now breathing in more carbon dioxide, and thus less oxygen. And this was in moderate to cooler indoor temperatures. I can’t even imagine what it would be like on a hot summer day.

Wearing a mask while exerting myself has been such a horrible experience that I’m thinking it would make me want to not umpire if it’s required.

The latest order also says that officials should maintain the standard six foot distance when interacting with players. Then it goes on to say that umpires calling balls and strikes should maintain “adequate distance” behind the catcher. So which is it? Six feet or some ill-defined adequate distance?

wilsey73

Reaction score
My name is Dale and I'm my Assc. President...Out of 50 umpires, I have 8 saying yes. Sorry folks, but unless things change, there won't be alot of tournaments...

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My name is Dale and I'm my Assc. President...Out of 50 umpires, I have 8 saying yes. Sorry folks, but unless things change, there won't be alot of tournaments...
wow. only 8 of 50? what part of the states or states do these 50 primarily ump?

SonicMojo

Reaction score
The latest order also says that officials should maintain the standard six foot distance when interacting with players. Then it goes on to say that umpires calling balls and strikes should maintain “adequate distance” behind the catcher. So which is it? Six feet or some ill-defined adequate distance?

It just means stay 6 feet away when not actively engaged in calling the game, but don't let the social distancing stuff interfere with your mechanics when you are calling the game.

Reaction score
Both the field and home plate umpire umpire must wear masks. It doesn't make any sense for the field ump or base coaches to wear masks the vast majority of the time. And , if the home plate umpire has to wear a facemask, why wouldn't the catcher also have to wear one? I don't think either should have to---to me it is a safety hazard for the reasons Bretman listed as well as a safety hazard if the face mask should rise up and obscure the pitch or even a play at the plate.

Keep in mind that the Health Commissioners on the committee are the ones who came up with this-- they have to follow strict guidelines and from my limited experiences with them, they do not let good common sense enter into their thinking. They will definitely show up at each event and they will shut it down if they see the slightest thing wrong--they do not turn their heads.

jpkeating

Reaction score
I’m still up in the air with it, I don’t know about anybody else, but my job requires a mask at all times. After about a half hour of wearing a mask I get a headache. 10 minutes after I take the mask off the headache goes away.
So calling a game with one on could be interesting.

Coach Tony

Reaction score
I umpired for about three years. I really enjoyed it.

There is no way I would umpire a game wearing ANY type of face covering. Not a chance...

sftball follower

Reaction score
Both the field and home plate umpire umpire must wear masks. It doesn't make any sense for the field ump or base coaches to wear masks the vast majority of the time. And , if the home plate umpire has to wear a facemask, why wouldn't the catcher also have to wear one? I don't think either should have to---to me it is a safety hazard for the reasons Bretman listed as well as a safety hazard if the face mask should rise up and obscure the pitch or even a play at the plate.

Keep in mind that the Health Commissioners on the committee are the ones who came up with this-- they have to follow strict guidelines and from my limited experiences with them, they do not let good common sense enter into their thinking. They will definitely show up at each event and they will shut it down if they see the slightest thing wrong--they do not turn their heads.

...and i agree with you that if the Health Commissioners show up they will shut down the tournament if they see any violations. With that being said all it's going to take is one tragedy or near tragedy by WEARING a mask, and then they will have bigger issues on their hands. Umpire or player goes down in heat because of wearing mask#lawsuits.....Unfortunately then and only then will the mask become "strongly recommended".

If I were running tournaments masks would strictly be optional for each team, coach, player, umpire, fan, etc....I would deal with the health so-called "experts" if needed

PLAY BALL!!!!!

SonicMojo

Reaction score
...and i agree with you that if the Health Commissioners show up they will shut down the tournament if they see any violations. With that being said all it's going to take is one tragedy or near tragedy by WEARING a mask, and then they will have bigger issues on their hands. Umpire or player goes down in heat because of wearing mask#lawsuits.....Unfortunately then and only then will the mask become "strongly recommended".

If I were running tournaments masks would strictly be optional for each team, coach, player, umpire, fan, etc....I would deal with the health so-called "experts" if needed

PLAY BALL!!!!!

I really do not see health commissioners getting involved in any of these events, or even local youth league games, unless they receive specific complaints. They have much larger fish to fry than to try to police these, and there simply aren't enough of them.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Now that the state has rescinded the mandate for umpires to wear masks...it looks like I’ll be back on the field again as soon as the season starts up.

I wonder what prompted the change? It’s not like umpires have a huge lobbying group at the statehouse!

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that the state has rescinded the mandate for umpires to wear masks...it looks like I’ll be back on the field again as soon as the season starts up.

I wonder what prompted the change? It’s not like umpires have a huge lobbying group at the statehouse!
@Mike_Craig_-_Ohio USSSA reported in another thread that the Governor's office and the committee had another conference call. Once again he strongly advised against mandating the masks and they actually listened and reconsidered.