Scoring decision question...

Softballdadx6

Reaction score
Situation: Runner at first base takes typical lead on pitch. Catcher throws to first on a pickoff attempt and runner heads back toward first however the ball goes into right field so runner breaks for second. Right fielder throws to shortstop who places tag for the out. It wouldn't be an error on catcher since the runner didn't advance but is that a 9-6 on the putout and is that considered a pickoff or caught stealing? Or would that be 2-9-6 on the putout? It was entered in book as caught stealing 2-6. Thanks!

22dad

Reaction score
It was entered in book as caught stealing 2-6.

I guess the scorekeeper is the catcher's parent....

I score it 9-6 tagged out in GC. No error but also no assist for catcher.

Stedman00

Reaction score
9-6 caught stealing. if runner was safe at 2B, then you have to determine if error was truly catcher, or potentially 1b. GC you can assign the error after moving the runner to 2b and explaining why runner is now there (passed ball, wp, result of play, steal, error, etc)

22dad

Reaction score
9-6 caught stealing. if runner was safe at 2B, then you have to determine if error was truly catcher, or potentially 1b. GC you can assign the error after moving the runner to 2b and explaining why runner is now there (passed ball, wp, result of play, steal, error, etc)

Curious, why caught stealing? Do you give a stolen base if safe in this situation? I think not, its E2.

Stedman00

Reaction score
Curious, why caught stealing? Do you give a stolen base if safe in this situation? I think not, its E2.
caught stealing is the basically what you say it is, and have to make GC indicate 9-6. and its caught stealing because the runner was attempting to advance without being forced by ball in play. similiar to delayed steal. if pitcher throws her out at 2b, it's 1-6 caught stealing. If she just beats the throw, it's a steal.

IF makes it safely to 2B (or further), then you get into the error and who to charge error to. be that a bad throw, throw off the 1b glove, etc. then assign the errors. And it gets really crazy if there's a crap throw in from RF that allows runner advance again to 3B.