When the ump wants the game over......

Stedman00

Reaction score
that's a pretty brutal strike zone. BUT on the plus side, the batter at least recognized the issue and swung at pitches 2 & 3. And on the defensive side, can't blame the pitcher / catcher for throwing out there if getting the call.

One question, was the ump that wide on the zone the entire game? If not, then that just magnifies the 'crappiness' of that wide zone.

Buckeye80

Reaction score
She only swung at the 2nd pitch...
The catcher set up behind the LH batter's box for that last pitch...
The coach even tried showing the ump where she set up but he just meandered away...
That was really bad - he wanted out of there...
For 12U though the pitcher did a good job going farther and farther outside...
I doubt it was like that the whole game - there wouldn't be any coaches left by the last inning after getting tossed for complaining about such a horrible zone.... lol

M & R Davis

Reaction score
She only swung at the 2nd pitch...
The catcher set up behind the LH batter's box for that last pitch...
The coach even tried showing the ump where she set up but he just meandered away...
That was really bad - he wanted out of there...
For 12U though the pitcher did a good job going farther and farther outside...
I doubt it was like that the whole game - there wouldn't be any coaches left by the last inning after getting tossed for complaining about such a horrible zone.... lol

agree completely with the last sentence. No way anyone left in the stands either IMO.

Justamom

Reaction score
We've had twice with two different teams, one HS and one Travel, have an ump call the game tying run out at home before the play happened. Both should have been safe but both were called out. The HS ump grabbed his stuff and left as fast as he could. The travel ump was just so hot and ready for a fight. It was a miserable day on turf. After he went back to the ump 'tent city' and retold the story. They all had a big laugh. I had mixed feelings because I was happy to go home since it was so miserable but sad for the girls.

SonicMojo

Reaction score
I've seen a lot worse than that. The final pitch was the only sketchy one. But if that was 12U Nationals, it was probably 'C' Nationals, and she did her spot!

Buckeye80

Reaction score
Calling the last pitch "sketchy" is being waaaaaaayyyyyy too kind.... "horrible", "awful", "ridiculous", "insane", are some other words that seem more fitting... Lol

Last edited:

wow

Reaction score
Arguing balls and strikes is a futile. This stuff happens all the time. Wait till you see HS. Most of those guys call a strike if you throw the ball to second base, especially early in the spring season and they have to stand out there in March for 7 innings and its 38 degrees.

Please let me know the last time a ump changed a ball to strike because it was argued? Teach kids to hit with 2 and you take the ump out of the equation. Good hitters hit outside the zone.

This should help clear it up

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The coach should be pretty angry at that. I'll go one better though. Last Saturday, we had a late make-up game because we got rained out Friday evening. Before the game even started, the HP ump said, "Let's try and get this over quickly." [Game situation] There's still 20 minutes left in a 75 minute finish the inning game, it's the second inning, we're behind by a bunch but hitting pretty well, my batter hits a short one hopper to LC. Their OF stops it and throws to the SS at 2nd base who relays it to the pitcher halfway to HP. My BR rounds first, stops and returns directly to first. HP ump calls her out on the look back rule which was the final out of the inning. 1) Pitcher wasn't in the circle. 2)Even if she was, my BR is allowed one stop and either needs to immediately return to base or advance which she did. But he called her out and then called the game due to darkness (safety) although the sunset was a good 45 minutes away. Needless to say he almost ran off the field.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
It’s unethical for an umpire to artificially get the game over more quickly. It is, essentially, cheating.

I can never figure this out...all winter guys say they can’t wait for the season to start. Then, once the season is started, they act like they can’t wait for the games to get over with!

Umpires, always give it your best effort, no matter the score or the age group or the length of the game. And don’t cheat the teams!