Is it a violation for D1 coaches to watch games through a paid site

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
Here's a good question and topic for us to discuss and maybe Coach Joe Abraham @JoeA1010 can help us out with this. Our recruiting coordinator found this info today.

D1 coach:
Watching live stream games through a site with a paid subscription (example: FloSoftball) is an NCAA Violation. If it is NOT open to the public it becomes an evaluation and evaluations are not permitted in a dead period.

Any truth to this? Makes sense to me.

Fastpitch04

Reaction score
Related to your question, it might also be a matter of what is considered "watch". It does not say if "watch" is in person or via some other means.

What is a dead period?
During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period.

Source: http://www.ncaa.org/student-athlete... a dead period a,parents during a dead period.

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't most the streaming services offer it for free to College Coaches any way. Almost all streaming services I've heard of, give it to College Coaches free as a way to entice people to pay for the service.

Fastpitch04

Reaction score
Don't most the streaming services offer it for free to College Coaches any way. Almost all streaming services I've heard of, give it to College Coaches free as a way to entice people to pay for the service. I've all wonder about that. Great Topic!

I think that is/might be the issue. The public has to pay, so it is not open to the public.

AnotherSoftballDad

Reaction score
This was directly from Coach Abraham:

"Now that the NCAA has shut down recruiting for Div. I coaches through at least July 31, I am writing here to explain how Toledo plans to handle this summer. I have no idea what other schools will be doing, so this applies only to Toledo.

We can't go out at all. We can, however, watch live streams. The teams/girls who do this the best will get the most views. I understand some of you are using AthletesGoLive and maybe other services to video your games. Obviously, good quality video and streams are critical, but also making sure we know who is batting, who is pitching, etc., at all times, will be important. If we're watching a game and it isn't clear who is batting/pitching, I can't imagine we'll stay with that game.".....

JoeA1010

Reaction score
I should probably update my profile pic with Hillsdale stuff on, but I'm 10 years younger and 25 pounds lighter in it, so I'll just keep it until I can get 10 years younger and lighter again.

Here is what I received from our Compliance office when I asked about this a few weeks ago. The bottom line is that we can watch these because they are not considered "off-campus evaluations." Once you get into live stuff through recruiting services, that appears to be different, but we never do that, anyway.

Observation of Prospective Student-Athletes via Livestream, On-Demand and/or Video (I)

Division: I
Date Published: June 20, 2019
Item Ref:

Interpretation:

The academic and membership affairs staff reviewed several issues related to the observation of prospective student-athletes via livestream, on-demand and/or videos and determined the following:

• Live video streams or video of prospective student-athletes available through live feeds to the general public (e.g., ESPN3, Facebook Live, Instagram Live, YouTube TV) and not provided by recruiting or scouting services are not considered an off-campus evaluation or recruiting activity.
  • If livestream or video that includes prospective student-athletes is delivered to an institutional coaching staff member, or if an institutional coaching staff member accesses the stream or video provided by a recruiting or scouting service to which the institution subscribes, the observation of prospective student-athletes on such a stream or video at an off-campus site (e.g., the coach's home) is not considered an "off-campus activity" and, therefore, is not considered an evaluation or recruiting activity.

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
I should probably update my profile pic with Hillsdale stuff on, but I'm 10 years younger and 25 pounds lighter in it, so I'll just keep it until I can get 10 years younger and lighter again.

Here is what I received from our Compliance office when I asked about this a few weeks ago. The bottom line is that we can watch these because they are not considered "off-campus evaluations." Once you get into live stuff through recruiting services, that appears to be different, but we never do that, anyway.

Observation of Prospective Student-Athletes via Livestream, On-Demand and/or Video (I)

Item Ref:

Interpretation:

The academic and membership affairs staff reviewed several issues related to the observation of prospective student-athletes via livestream, on-demand and/or videos and determined the following:

• Live video streams or video of prospective student-athletes available through live feeds to the general public (e.g., ESPN3, Facebook Live, Instagram Live, YouTube TV) and not provided by recruiting or scouting services are not considered an off-campus evaluation or recruiting activity.
  • If livestream or video that includes prospective student-athletes is delivered to an institutional coaching staff member, or if an institutional coaching staff member accesses the stream or video provided by a recruiting or scouting service to which the institution subscribes, the observation of prospective student-athletes on such a stream or video at an off-campus site (e.g., the coach's home) is not considered an "off-campus activity" and, therefore, is not considered an evaluation or recruiting activity.

Thanks Joe

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net

Item Ref:

Interpretation:

Thanks for the feed back Coach. Have you utilized the AthletesGoLive yet this year and what’s your thoughts on it since you are able to use it and it’s not a violation? Reason I ask is because our recruiting coordinator is part of their advisory board. Any feed back helps since coaches are actually allowed to use the service.

Thanks,
Jeff Hill

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Coach Joe is the man! Thanks Coach

Coach03

Reaction score
Would love to hear Joe's opinion on athletes go live now an the streaming . Anything that helps with making streaming better for them. I know narrating is a huge plus. Or any of the other coaches on what they have found to work the best. Cant wait till they can get back to the field an evaluate live. Hopefully there are no more delay s.

ALLPH0

Reaction score
Has anyone else had issues with athletes go live? Have they been resolved?

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
we have no issues with our AthletesGoLive account other than scoring. I am hearing it is super difficult to keep up with it. So a lot of times we don't worry about the scoring, just the players name, number, position. I can't wait for Camps to open back up!!! That's the biggie that sucks with all of this. IMO

My DD is scheduled for the Findlay camp July 15th so hopefully this still happens. As of now its a go. Only 27 spots total from what I understand. Probably need to reach out to Coach Lowe and check status.

AnotherSoftballDad

Reaction score
Athletesgolive scoring is getting better but still has some work to do. But during peak times it often times can't connect with the server for at some times an inning long. We have to keep score on GameChanger too to catch up on the game when it does this. You can tell it is coming at the top of every hour (when new games are starting all over the country). Our feedback from college coaches is they like to know who is up or who is pitching inside the scoring box on the broadcast.