Jerry Snodgrass fired last night by OHSAA

First2Third

Reaction score
Here's a link to the press release. https://www.ohsaa.org/news-media/articles/bob-goldring-named-ohsaa-interim-executive-director

Any thoughts on why, or the implication? There was a strange statement from OHSAA Board President Dan Leffingwell: "We have had zero conversations to date regarding the return to play plans or any switching of the fall and spring seasons. This had nothing to do with the change of leadership at the OHSAA."

I sincerely doubt anyone believes that there have been "zero conversations" about return to play plans with fall sports starting in just a few weeks. That doesn't quite seem right. Seems even stranger to make that proclamation.

Seeing all kinds of thoughts overall about this. Jerry was too much in favor of returning without delay, Jerry was talking about delaying the fall, Jerry was in favor of switching spring and fall sports, Jerry was against switching spring and fall sports, etc.

Thoughts?

Stedman00

Reaction score
my best guess and it's only a guess, is Jerry wasn't willing to bow down to political pressure for stuff, and they removed him, installed interim guy they can steam roll over, etc....

again, only a guess.

First2Third

Reaction score
But what stuff? What do you think he was being pressured to do that he wouldn't? General sentiment "online" seems to be that he was too in favor of sports returning. I think it's the opposite--that he was too wishy washy on it, and the OSHAA board wants things to return to normal.

Reaction score
Sounds like he was hesitant to let football start up fully in 3 weeks, was concerned about falls sports proceeding as normal, so they gave him the boot.

City Slicker

Reaction score
Jerry was great for OHSAA and will be missed. He always had the kids as the top priority and made HS sports in Ohio about the kids.

As a coach and parent, I appreciate all that Jerry did for the student-athletes in Ohio.

First2Third

Reaction score
Sounds like he was hesitant to let football start up fully in 3 weeks, was concerned about falls sports proceeding as normal, so they gave him the boot.

This looks like the correct answer. It has become clear in the last couple hours that the OHSAA board didn't think Snodgrass was pushing hard enough for a full return/resumption of fall sports.

ALLPH0

Reaction score
It sounds worrisome for what is to come of sports in high school for Ohio

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The latest I've seen on social media is that HS football was going to be canceled in certain areas depending upon the "hot zones." Maybe he pushed too hard against that. Either way, this is a detriment to ALL HS sports. He was great for them in general. As others said, a class act.