Any teams without daddy ball?

Does daddy ball exist on your current team?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

NoMoreDaddyBall

Reaction score
Is there such a thing? On the truly elite teams I suspect it's less common, but at the mid level teams is there such a thing as life without daddy ball? Do any of those teams have openings?

CoachNate

Reaction score
I have always found the term derogatory. It was probably invented by Parents who make any and every excuse for their lack of production instead of holding them accountable. Are there "DADS" who play their daughter's on their team to a point of favoritism.....sure.....but there are also plenty of "DADS" who bench their daughters the second they deserve it and DP Flex for them when they do not hit etc. Bottom line......why is the term not "Mommy Ball"........why aren't the women who played the sport 10 years ago coaching more?

Hookslide

Reaction score
Is there such a thing? On the truly elite teams I suspect it's less common, but at the mid level teams is there such a thing as life without daddy ball? Do any of those teams have openings?
Valley Extreme 07 14 u has three coaches to former players head coach has no daughter on team

pride03

Reaction score
MOV Pride - Murphy 18U are non parent coaches

coachtomv

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The question should be are there any good softball coaches? Without "daddy", good luck fielding as many teams and orgs as we have in Ohio....just sayin. I really hate that term as well, its usually from parents who think their kid is better than they are or should play where they think and not coaches.-not saying the poster is one of those

I have been around the game quite a few years and my experience is that "daddy's" girl is usually either one of the better players, or gets the worst of it from her daddy coach. Most true "daddy" ball takes place on lower level competitive teams, as it plays itself out quickly.

finfan365

Reaction score
I have been around the game quite a few years and my experience is that "daddy's" girl is usually either one of the better players, or gets the worst of it from her daddy coach. Most true "daddy" ball takes place on lower level competitive teams, as it plays itself out quickly.

This has been my experience as well. I have actually seen more of the described "daddyball" behavior and thinking from parents on the sideline who have unrealistic views of their child's abilities. I've seen my daughter make the same error as a coaches daughter, with a noticeable difference in how each is corrected. God forbid a coaches daughter get picked for an all-star team when she deserves it.

Stedman00

Reaction score
witnessed one this year in 12u. HC and both assistants. all 3 of their DD's batting 1-2-3 in order. Lead team in lowest batting averages. never moved from 1-2-3 all season.

OFCHeat07

Reaction score
I heard an interesting take on this the other day when an organization lead who was looking at me to be a paid coach said if you don't give your kid chances and you constantly bat them deep in the order, that is Daddy ball as well. You should give your kids a chance just like everyone else. I learned this with my older in baseball, he never got the opportunity he deserved because I was too hard on him, and now he leads his team in everything at 16U. I coach fastpitch as well and yes have a kid who bats last on the team, well because she has earned that, a lot of good hitters ahead of her. But yeah I do feel like at times I take advantage of her being my daughter and use her as the one that maybe had to sit 3 innings instead of another kid. So I probably could do better at starting to give her more chances. Parent coaches are desperately needed so saying a blanket statement that the coach has a kid on the team and its daddy ball is dumb, there are some good coaches and bad coaches, and yes some give their kids too much of whatever they want, but there are good ones that don't. Its very team situational and easy to see the good and the bad of it.

Stedman00

Reaction score
I heard an interesting take on this the other day when an organization lead who was looking at me to be a paid coach said if you don't give your kid chances and you constantly bat them deep in the order, that is Daddy ball as well. You should give your kids a chance just like everyone else. I learned this with my older in baseball, he never got the opportunity he deserved because I was too hard on him, and now he leads his team in everything at 16U. I coach fastpitch as well and yes have a kid who bats last on the team, well because she has earned that, a lot of good hitters ahead of her. But yeah I do feel like at times I take advantage of her being my daughter and use her as the one that maybe had to sit 3 innings instead of another kid. So I probably could do better at starting to give her more chances. Parent coaches are desperately needed so saying a blanket statement that the coach has a kid on the team and its daddy ball is dumb, there are some good coaches and bad coaches, and yes some give their kids too much of whatever they want, but there are good ones that don't. Its very team situational and easy to see the good and the bad of it.

I think the problem isn't the kid that is mashing and killing it. It's the kid that is batting clean up , hitting .125 thru 25 games, or plays SS or Pitcher, not matter how unskilled they are. That's the 'daddy ball' scenerio that most instantly jumps to most people's minds.

Milly Ways

Reaction score
The bike helmet was the start of the world we live in now! The helmet, followed by knee and elbow pads. Just to ride a bike! Select/club sports were just that, SELECT! 1-2 teams per age group per organization max! Now you have 4, 5, +++ teams per age group. It's so watered down (not all organizations). At most orgs, (including all sports) after the top 2, it's Rec ball! Then they try to hid it by calling it a "developmental" team.... How many World Series/National Championships are there now?

My son started playing t-ball for the YMCA back in the late 90's. Everyone hit, no outs were recorded. After the game, the coaches said something along the lines of, "great job! you're all winners." My son says on the way home, "dad how come no one got out? and why did they say both teams won?" I didn't know what to say. He was 5, maybe 6. So I was honest and said, I have no idea? He says, "I know we won because I counted all the runs. haha The other team must of had less players!

This "everyone's a winner" has been a negative! They face any type of adversity and they give up and quit! How is that preparing them for adulthood, to become good husbands/wives, fathers/mothers, employees, etc? I have a 26, 24, 16 and 14 yr old and I let them be kids. They are going to get hurt. They are going to make mistakes. And they are going to get cut from teams. But they ARE going to learn from it and be better for it! I've coached my kids. But by 5th /6th grade, I stopped because they needed to learn to play for someone else. I'm not going to be there to hold their hand forever!

When my 16 yr old got cut from her school volleyball team. She went and tried out for cheer, made varsity and will get a state championship ring this year! She could have sat in her room on tic tok or watching Netflix all day. She chose to go out and do something else! She's never cheered and over 20+ girls were cut. Couldn't be happier for her!

And no coach was harder on them than I was! I never lied to them. If they played bad, I let them know. But I always started with what they did good 1st!

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What’s daddy ball?
The term "Daddy Ball" is a derogatory term usually applied to teams that have a parent coach (usually) and their daughter is one of the lesser skilled players on the team but still plays most, if not all innings at a premium position such as Shortstop or Pitcher even though there are much better options sitting on the bench.