White Fielding Gloves

SoftballDad001

Reaction score
What type of oil/conditioner has anyone used to break in white gloves. Just want to make sure color doesn’t change.

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No matter what kind you use, the leather itself will darken temporarily due to adding moisturizer/conditioner. That said, I've broken in many white Rawlings Liberty Catchers mitts and Vinci Catchers mitts with either the Mizuno Strong Oil (which is actually a paste) or the Vinci Conditioner without it affecting the final outcome i.e. yellowing.

OhPhat

Reaction score
Have used Nokona leather conditioner on my daughters white gloves and it does discolor slightly but it seems to work well. No matter what you use it will still get dirty.

Last edited:

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Maybe you don’t need any conditioner!

As far as a glove opening and closing, the thing that gives the most resistance is the heel padding. If you can loosen up that pad it goes a long way toward letting the glove open or close.

Try this...hold the glove by grabbing each side of the heel padding. Work it back and forth as hard and as fast as you can. Keep working it and you’ll feel the padding start to get loose.

You can also find all the hinge points, the places where the glove naturally wants to fold through the palm as you open and close it, then bend and work those points back and forth.

I’ve gotten gloves game ready doing nothing but this, then playing catch.

jt7663

Reaction score
Bret Man What is the Ruling on color for a Pitchers Fielding Mit ? I have had White questioned & had a Multi Color Glove Ok'd ??

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
White used to be illegal, back when they used a white ball. Now optic yellow gloves are illegal! But white should be fine.

It’s really strange but every sanctioning body has different glove requirements. So, a glove that’s legal in one night not be legal in another.

A few examples:

- USA softball: Gloves can be any color or combination of colors, except the pitcher’s glove cannot be the color of the ball.

NFHS/high school: Maximum of two colors, not including laces or manufacturer’s logo. May not be entirely optic in color. May not have an optic colored marking on the outside that gives the appearance of the ball.

USSSA: May be any combination of colors other than the color of the ball.

Your mileage might vary for other organizations...check their rule books!