Hitting and Hitters Discussion Can someone explain the helicopter drill?

Rerun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the helicopter drill? How does this drill help a hitter? What can this drill do to help improve a batter?

Stedman00

Reaction score
helps them ingrain a bunch of bad habits.. end of story.

Xrayaries

Reaction score
You don't need gimics or special tools to teach hitting and proper mechanics. I have had great success using nothing more than a tee and a bucket. From baseball to softball I can tell you that nothing beats repetition of good solid mechanics.

Unfortunately I have had hitters stop repetition for a season and come back saying they only hit 200 what am I doing wrong.? I pull out the .400 hitter video of them and we take new video. Within a few minutes I can break down the bad habits from not consistently hitting off the tee.

Kris Bryant was asked in an interview. How does he keep his swing so consistent. He hits 100 balls every day off the tee. Keeping his mechanics as a bases for his work. Never ever moves in the box. Foot placement is the same and he uses the front of the plate as a reference for contact.

Never hit off of a wheeled machine because they mess with timing. If you do use a machine use an arm machine because it allows you to time the release.

PaulP

Reaction score
So true, my daughters batting jumped in 9th grade because they hit ever day in high school. Then h.s. got cancelled, and it hurt her hit hitting. Very hard to find time to get in reps to fix bad habits when games are being played. The girls that want it the most, and find time to practice when few others are, will have a greater advantage then previous years.

BouldersDad

Reaction score
This pretty much says it all

JOHN WOODEN: 4 LAWS OF LEARNING
JohnWooden.jpg

16 NOV JOHN WOODEN: 4 LAWS OF LEARNING
Posted at 12:00h in Coaching Philosophyby Rick Torbett 3 Comments
0Likes
The four laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation and repetition. The goal is to create a correct habit that can be produced instinctively under great pressure. To make sure this goal was achieved, I create eight laws of learning — namely explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, and repetition.”

-Coach John Wooden

If only Coach Wooden could have lived long enough to see the Read & React! You would think that his quote came from a Read & React Coaching Clinic!

The Read & React DVD takes care of the first three laws:

1. Explanation
  2. Demonstration
  3. Imitation
    The next 5 Laws of Learning the Read & React are left up to your practice plans:

4. Repetition
  5. Repetition
  6. Repetition
  7. Repetition
  8. Repetition

ALISA WEAVER

Reaction score
As far as I have heard, there is little use in such a device. No machine with a program can replace a man, his unpredictability of actions. Better than normal human training.