The Shortage of umpires is coming in 2021

Rerun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If 2020 hasn’t effect tournaments enough the new concern for all tournament directors moving into the 2021 travel season will definitely be finding umpires. Umpires are going to be at a Premium price and umpire will be able to negotiate higher pay.

Just look around at the current umpire on the diamonds. Most umpires are over the age of 55 and not many younger umpires are joining the umpire ranks. Most of the older umpires are unable or unwilling to do more them four to five games in a day.

After discussion with a few tournament directors that have already been put on notice of the upcoming shortage for 2021 season here what I’ve learned.

Due to so many tournaments running on the same weekend, one Sanctioned Body has informed tournament directors that they will only supply umpires for 16 diamonds a weekend. Causing some tournaments directors to look at changing weekends in order to have umpires.

The price of umpires is going up, it won’t be long before you see umpires asking and receiving $50 dollars a game. Fielding two umpires a game will cost $100 instead of the normal $70 to $80 dollars. Of course this increase in cost will be past along to teams added another $100+ on entry fee’s on a 4 game Guaranteed event.

Some tournament directors will be force to either taking less teams or reducing the amount of games guaranteed. One tournament director I talk with has already decided to reduce the amount of teams he’s taken for his events in 2021.

Another tournament director I’ve talk with is looking at only using one umpire a game and paying them $60 a game just to insure he has his tournament covered for the weekend.

Lots of interesting points and thing to think about in the future when in comes to umpires.

Last edited:

jpkeating

Reaction score
It’s called supply and demand. I don’t see having to many umpires happening for a long time

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There seems to be many, many non sanctioned events being offered with only One umpire!
I don't understand why teams are content with this either! Select Ball NEEDS 2 UMPIRES!
But many are offering events using only One. I have been curious if this is what many of these teams that are basically just wanting to play a modified Rec schedule by play Rec style with the One Umpire? I can offer cheaper options for teams, if they want to play this style.

As a Coach, I want 2 Umpires on the field and I would rather pay for that cost, than to step back!
I just saw a team offering an event in July and said they would be using 1 Ump - I am dumbfounded by that and curious to see the response....

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
funny story, my teenage daughter thought about umpiring games. Then i reminded her how crazy the young teams parents can get... and i didnt want to have to "ump" parents while she "umps" games, so we decided it wasn't the best idea for us both..... lol

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The majority of your umps are older and they dont see it as worth it to do it with everthing going on. Younger people just dont have the drive or desire to do it now. I do see people eventually umpiring when the shortage gets so bad , the pay will rise to the point itll be atractive to do ti.

wilsey73

Reaction score
We have no umpires becuz parents are jerk offs....following them to berate them, coming on the field...why would anyone want too? But every girl is a D1 player

daboss

Reaction score
Hitter23, myself, and a handful of others that are regular on here have tried to warn everyone this would happen. Especially as mentioned by wilsey73 and DanMaz the issue with parents and their actions. Sad thing is; they continue to do it and when called out they won't own up to it.

I quit volunteering as a summer coach due to the actions of a handful of parents. Not all, but it only took 1 or 2 to end my 19 years of summer coaching. It was that bad. I've been doing the private lessons for pitchers since--------------and considered last winter to be my last due to a parent. I decided to go again this winter, even with covid because I care that much for the kids that come.

I've only ever told 1 girl to leave and that was because I absolutely would not tolerate her actions disrespecting her father during a lesson. This winter if the family from last winter calls, I will decline having them due to the dad. Anymore issues, I will quit altogether.

My point is; I feel for and understand why people don't want to be umpires. There are those umpires that should not be doing it at all. Somehow we need to make this work. My opinion is parents need to learn to stay out of it and a reality check is in order to start the process. The other, start planning to spend much more money to play ball..................

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
Our team played ALL NON-Sanctioned events this fall and they ALL had 2 umpires per field per game.

parents and some coaches can be rough on the umpires but they are all human. I teach my Athletes the umpires are human and they are going to make mistakes. Don’t belittle them. Treat them as you want to be treated. Talk to them with respect and reason with them.

I have always said umpires are under paid. We would probably get more athletic with better eye sight umpires if they are paid a little more. Lol.

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We do a lot of one day 4 team 4 game friendlies during Fall. I only budgeted for one umpire at $50 a game and had no issue finding umpires for them. As a matter of fact, Mike Roby and his son Dylan did all 8 games together which gave us 2 umpires per game one friendly and Mike and Fred did the same thing the following weekend. Thanks again guys! we really appreciate the hard work.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i have no problems finding good very good umps!

but dont ask me for their numbers.... lol my secret. :rolleyes:

mroby5172

Reaction score
Thanks Yocoach, those were very long days but enjoyed it so much. I love the game and don't mind taking less money sometimes.

brownsfan

Reaction score
I was asked if I'd umpire since I folded my team. Ah, no.....all there would be is young ladies playing as I'd have all of the parents thrown out. I'd even throw myself out with some of my own actions....LOL.

Reaction score
I can tell you as an umpire of 14 years. The sad part is I'm still one of the youngest in the room to keep my high school license at 31. You will always have bad parents because they are so invested in there child winning. Some of my hardest moments as an umpire have been when I have been left out on a diamond doing 5 games in a row with barely a checkup by a td or umpire director by myself. I have done almost every level of ball and it is true the young kids parents are the worst. I think the most ask question I have heard in every meeting is "what do I do with people who are out of line". Umpires need to teach umpires better on how to deal with people. I have found it a lot easier to umpire when I know the line people are not supposed to cross. A lot of this has come with experience. Please be nice to your umpires they are not trying to cheat you out of a win.