what's the rule after hitting a home run?

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok, when coaching 3rd base and your hitter puts one out...

can you give a high 5 as she rounds 3rd or is that assisting the runner?

Bob45429

Reaction score
I don't see a high five being assisting. On the other hand a swat on the backside as she rounds third would be an assist towards home. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brettman - any umpires can let me know the true rules on this ? slap on back ...nono? high five --- ok ?

please give some insight. I have heard both sides but would like a veteran umpire to share some knowledge. thanks

sftball follower

Reaction score
The actual rule is that coaches, or other players besides another runner, may not physically assist a runner during a LIVE ball. After an over-the-fence home run, the ball is DEAD. So the rule doesn't even apply here. But, even if it did...

Slapping hands to congratulate someone is NOT assisting them in running the bases. It doesn't stop their advance when they shouldn't be advancing, it doesn't encourage them to advance when they otherwise wouldn't, it doesn't aid them in touching a base, or alter their path, or help them to regain their footing. In short, it offers no advantage or assistance to a legally advancing runner.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
It looks like you got your answer. It’s a huge rule MYTH that a coach can’t ever touch a runner, under any circumstance, and if they do then the runner is called out. It’s a myth that’s been perpetuated over the years, born out of ignorance and kept alive by umpires who think they know what they’re doing, but really don’t. It’s one of those myths that’s been repeated so many times that people think it’s true. It’s a myth that ranks right up there with “the hands are part of the bat”!

The rules prevent a coach from physically assisting a runner in her base running duties. For instance, pushing her forward to get her to advance, grabbing ahold of her to get her to stop, or helping a runner who has fallen up off the ground.

A congratulatory high five, handshake, or pat on the back during a home run trot should NEVER be regarded as assisting the runner. It’s perfectly legal and there’s no penalty for doing it.

luvthegame

Reaction score
The actual rule is that coaches, or other players besides another runner, may not physically assist a runner during a LIVE ball. After an over-the-fence home run, the ball is DEAD. So the rule doesn't even apply here. But, even if it did...

Slapping hands to congratulate someone is NOT assisting them in running the bases. It doesn't stop their advance when they shouldn't be advancing, it doesn't encourage them to advance when they otherwise wouldn't, it doesn't aid them in touching a base, or alter their path, or help them to regain their footing. In short, it offers no advantage or assistance to a legally advancing runner.

If it's a dead ball... then why even touch all the bases? Speed up play. If it's a dead ball.... then why did the college player from whatever college, I don't remember, get called out for not touching home after she hit a game winner over the fence?

wilsey73

Reaction score
If it's a dead ball... then why even touch all the bases? Speed up play. If it's a dead ball.... then why did the college player from whatever college, I don't remember, get called out for not touching home after she hit a game winner over the fence?
Becuz the coach grabbed her and pulled her back...That is assisting, runner is out for coaches assistance...That is actually a dead ball appeal that woulda had to be made by the other team...

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
1) Rules state that all awarded bases must be legally run. A home run is a four base award, so...

2) There are instances when assisting a runner can be called when the ball is dead. The above noted college play was one of them.

Danno

Reaction score
I’ve gotten into many a discussion on the following.
Runner runs past first veers slightly to the left and goes directly back to first.
Is she liable to be tagged?
I say no as she was never making an attempt at second.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve gotten into many a discussion on the following.
Runner runs past first veers slightly to the left and goes directly back to first.
Is she liable to be tagged?
I say no as she was never making an attempt at second.
agree! A left turn is also a myth a lot of people try to push. Just because she turns left instead of right... does NOT mean she made an attempt to go to 2nd base... now if she runs a few steps toward 2nd then changes her mind, go tag her! lol in fact tag her either way... who knows what the ump will call!

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The rule reads, Section 7 The Runner is out "When the batter-runner legally overruns first base, attempts to run to second base and is legally touched with the ball while not in contact with the base." Thus, they have to not only overrun 1st base but attempt to run to second...both. Although it shouldn't depend on an umpires judgement, unfortunately, it often does. As an example, I had a BR last year overrun 1st, veer left directly towards the right fielder, turn left and return directly to first base. First baseman had the ball, tagged her but the ump called her safe. The other coach appealed but the call stood; rightfully IMO. I've also seen the same thing called as an out; wrongfully IMO since in the act of returning directly to first is not "attempting to run to second." Both parts of the rule have to be fulfilled.