Handling Holiday Schedules

Rerun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Travel ball coaches, how do you handle time off for your team? Since many tournaments are during Holiday Weekends and most parents plan vacations around the holiday weekends how do you handle long term planning for a season?

IRdad09

Reaction score
HAHA....There are no vacations on Holiday weekends. Softball is the vacation.

Rerun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
HAHA....There are no vacations on Holiday weekends. Softball is the vacation.

most normal people with multiple kids don’t believe they should sacrifice the whole family vacation over Softball.

IRdad09

Reaction score
Maybe you never had a child in travel softball.....maybe you did I have no idea. There is plenty of time to take a vacation. It however does not happen between April and July. Those weekends for the most part are reserved for our softball family. If that makes me not normal I'm all in. I'm helping my DD live her dreams not mine.

Rerun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe you never had a child in travel softball.....maybe you did I have no idea. There is plenty of time to take a vacation. It however does not happen between April and July. Those weekends for the most part are reserved for our softball family. If that makes me not normal I'm all in. I'm helping my DD live her dreams not mine.

so if your a coach how would you handle vacation for non believers?

Jkb69933

Reaction score
Agree with IRdad09. Been in travel ball for 7 years now with 3 girls 7 different teams over the years. Don’t think we’ve ever had a holiday weekend off? Maybe 1 here or there. May-July uij usually have a couple scheduled weekends off but usually not a holiday weekend

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always been told as a softball parent and AC we will play the schedule and the schedule will be out in plenty of time for you to make plans for a family vacation. Whether we played on a holiday or not, which we often did, was immaterial and often times our family vacation revolved around a tournament in South Carolina, NC, FL, etc. As the HC, I've been doing the same thing. Yes, there have been players/families that have taken a holiday weekend off here and there but I just get a sub for them and the team plays. I also try to schedule a "beach" tourney or something that has a lot of attractions like Pigeon Forge, Tennessee so families can use that as an option.

Xrayaries

Reaction score
When you make a commitment to a team the commitment is binding and should be thought of that way. I would let my parents know before they even agreed to join the team. You cannot let the other 10-11 girls down because you want to hit the beach. Fall and winter is understandable. Many girls are starting other sports, so tournaments during this time I feel should be voted upon. Give them dates and times and see when you can have your team all together for a weekend. Go play rec ball if you want summer vacations.

brownsfan

Reaction score
so if your a coach how would you handle vacation for non believers?

As a coach, you should be upfront with them with what type of team you plan on. It's plain and simple, you ask both the young ladies and the parents, what is the desire of your dd? If you know players personally who played made it and witnessed the work ethic, you use them and a few others has the example.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i think i have spent every mothers day, fathers day, memorial day, labor day, birthdays, graduation parties, family reunions etc.... all on the ball field. NOTHING matters when your playing travel ball but travel ball.

T2 Beast Crew

Reaction score
We are going out of state this year. I believe that's most of our team's vacation lol.

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
I have to agree with all. Travel ball schedule comes first. My family schedules vacations in August after I hold tryouts. In spring after I release my girls to their school ball teams. Most families playing at travel level understand this is a huge commitment and a huge financial commitment. You can’t let the other 11-12 girls down just cause your aunt Sally’s 61st birthday party or your family decides to go to Myrtle beach mid June. Not happening.

I let my Athletes and parents know at the first meeting we expect them to be committed and to be at every tournament during season. They have to do it if they want to play at college so might as well start now.

I always had a questionnaire at tryouts and one question was if your Best friend was having a birthday party and your team had a tournament game or practice at the same time which would you go to?

If the answer is the party then the team is probably not for you.

Commitment.
Big word. It Takes a lot of work, effort, desire, heart, & Passion.

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
Vacation.... Vacation... we talking vacation (AI flashback to practice) - Vacation, not sure what that is, sounds nice but I know most of the people that responded and they are pretty spot on. Get used to quick get-aways during the week or on an extended Winter weekend

YOUNGER TEAMS - MS & Below
1. If your coach gets the schedule out early, you can schedule the vacation on the off-week, but remember if there is a rainout of a tourney earlier in the season, that "off" week looks very enticing to crazy coaches like me

OLDER TEAMS - HS age
2. Your team already starting late after HS Ball season, coaches going every week whether tourney or practice - go take your vacation, but don't ask why Suzy doesn't have her spot back when you get back