National and State rankings

swilliamson22

Reaction score
While I think numerous quality teams are overlooked here, it’s a nice representation of the hard work that the ladies are putting in! I believe that teams such as Wolfpack’08, Lady Rebels’08, among others should be on that list. It seems that this list only looks at the premier events as value holders, which I think rewards teams that want to accept that challenge.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While I think numerous quality teams are overlooked here, it’s a nice representation of the hard work that the ladies are putting in! I believe that teams such as Wolfpack’08, Lady Rebels’08, among others should be on that list. It seems that this list only looks at the premier events as value holders, which I think rewards teams that want to accept that challenge.
its obvious that only certain tournaments are included in the results, so if you didn't play in those events, you weren't part of the rankings / group listed. Also i noticed that pool play games are included in the results. I personally don't think pool play games should count toward rankings but this is still cool. I use pool play to develop players and wont always have my best lineup in the game because of that. but i still think its cool to see all these out of state and in state teams and how they compare to a degree.

swilliamson22

Reaction score
For me Friday, Saturday and Sunday are about development, so I think ranking pool play games is fine. It shows the entire depth or scope of the teams. This means very little to nothing, but to start a conversation! I’m honored and blessed to be considered and now my ladies will try to climb the latter and knock some teams off!
Bailey the target got really big on your back!!

tjsmize3

Reaction score
For me Friday, Saturday and Sunday are about development, so I think ranking pool play games is fine. It shows the entire depth or scope of the teams. This means very little to nothing, but to start a conversation! I’m honored and blessed to be considered and now my ladies will try to climb the latter and knock some teams off!
Bailey the target got really big on your back!!
Yes... totally agree about your comment on pool games and how you look at trying to beat some of those ranked above you. Remember, pool may be your ONLY chance to face and beat a team ranked above you or maybe even in the top-10 if you're lucky. Some teams/orgs have goals to face these type of teams as often as possible so rather it's pool or not, if you get a chance to go head-to-head, you need to try to take advantage. What I like about this particular ranking, is that when I coached we had to make sure we were doing well in rankings that college coaches were paying attention to. SO... if you beat a top-10, you had to make sure to send out texts/emails to let the rankings admins know about it. This system seems to track not only your W&Ls, but also WHO you beat through "power rankings." Now there is no more argument about did the inning revert back and all the other BS that can come into play... just W or L. I do not agree with you though where you say this means little to nothing. If this ranking (and this is a big if) starts to become followed by college coaches, then you ignore it at your peril. Take a look at most college websites and they list Extra Inning Softball rankings for their players and their players previous travel teams often. They must at least mean SOMETHING???!

swilliamson22

Reaction score
I should it this way, this particular survey means little to nothing as it is Jan. While I am greatful to have my team listed, I would rather be there in July! My guess is that more 2008 teams will start to creep into this poll over the next 4-6 months because they should beat most 2009 teams. Best of luck to all the teams and more importantly develop the young ladies to get better and the college coaches will certainly find them and your teams!

wellbuckit

Reaction score
Yes... totally agree about your comment on pool games and how you look at trying to beat some of those ranked above you. Remember, pool may be your ONLY chance to face and beat a team ranked above you or maybe even in the top-10 if you're lucky. Some teams/orgs have goals to face these type of teams as often as possible so rather it's pool or not, if you get a chance to go head-to-head, you need to try to take advantage. What I like about this particular ranking, is that when I coached we had to make sure we were doing well in rankings that college coaches were paying attention to. SO... if you beat a top-10, you had to make sure to send out texts/emails to let the rankings admins know about it. This system seems to track not only your W&Ls, but also WHO you beat through "power rankings." Now there is no more argument about did the inning revert back and all the other BS that can come into play... just W or L. I do not agree with you though where you say this means little to nothing. If this ranking (and this is a big if) starts to become followed by college coaches, then you ignore it at your peril. Take a look at most college websites and they list Extra Inning Softball rankings for their players and their players previous travel teams often. They must at least mean SOMETHING???!
I do agree with most of what you stated except for the sentence that I underlined is still happening. Well... it happens mostly in the Showcase tournaments so the older teams might see the drop dead rule where the score will revert back.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
dont get me wrong about pool play because when we are playing the top tier teams we always go at them with our best. But at the younger age lets face it, you are there to develop players and if lil susie doesn't play, you know you will hear it from the parents. Pool play everyone on the roster plays which gives them all more opportunity to play on elimination day Sunday. Sundays lose go home. and i think this is a reason one College Coach I know is usually the only one still hanging around showcases on Sundays. lol

tjsmize3

Reaction score
I do agree with most of what you stated except for the sentence that I underlined is still happening. Well... it happens mostly in the Showcase tournaments so the older teams might see the drop dead rule where the score will revert back.
Right... this is where it always happens. We had many instances over the years in showcases where we had beat a team ranked above us and we both would list it as a win. We would claim revert back and they would claim there was no "revert back" specified in the showcase rules. I guess what I meant is if the ranking admins are taking the W/L info from the TD, then there will always be an "official" winner. More than once we asked a TD who won a game and they would look at you like, "who cares it's a showcase."

AnotherSoftballDad

Reaction score
Everyone brings up some good points. There is no perfect way to do these rankings....someone spent a lot of time doing this and it is interesting to look at...nothing more, nothing less. It is easy to tear apart and find flaws, but I applaud whoever is making the effort to add a little something to the softball world. Also, it sounds like whoever is doing this is willing to add tournaments or things to enhance it.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone brings up some good points. There is no perfect way to do these rankings....someone spent a lot of time doing this and it is interesting to look at...nothing more, nothing less. It is easy to tear apart and find flaws, but I applaud whoever is making the effort to add a little something to the softball world. Also, it sounds like whoever is doing this is willing to add tournaments or things to enhance it.

They are not taking too much time. If your team played in Scenic City in November - you are listed on here. There are several other events included.
Of course the top of each list has what most consider the best or better teams in the State. But the rest of the list is just placing those who played in the included events.
Good, quality events - BUT, if my team didn't win a game - or was outscored at an event by 60, 80, 100 RUNS, I would not be bragging about being ranked somewhere.

This is no different that what many sponsoring bodies have. I will use USFA as example, as there really isn't any of those events in Ohio. But if you go to their site - it will rank every team that has played in a USFA event. So you may be able to brag to someone that you are ranked 3rd in Ohio - yet there is only 3 teams who played in the USFA event and your team went 0-4.
This is the same! Hat's off to all of these teams for paying the $1350-$1700 to play in Scenic City and face the competition! And hats off to those who played well, and won games. Remember, if you don't win - it's a Showcase and you were not playing to win!

141333595_10160701246134408_5463225672186231400_o.jpg

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah ranking teams based on a few tourneys isn't really ranking them to the fullest but its a great start and i appreciate all the hard work and dedication.
July 2021 these rankings will have more clout.

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
Rankings are never going to perfect, even asking the coaches to do a weekly poll, you are always going to have some sort of error within the rankings.... nothing like throwing me to the wolves before the season starts in Ohio though, we have a lot of work left to do.... saw some great 12U teams this Fall, According to this list we have faced Top 50 Nationally Ranked #1, #4, #14,#22, #24, #25, #30, #33, #36, #44 and we also faced the Ace pitcher of #5 on another sister team... so you could say we had a busy Fall.

12U Ohio -- I really like Maz team, I think they are a tough squad, well-coached and fans were cordial and coaches were great and communicative. Lasers Orange & Stingrays 08 are going to duke it out as always beating each other up, I love watching/following those games, both teams are top notch.... Wolfpack will be strong & tough, always thought they were the most fundamental team I ever played against and well-coached and now adding Albertson, just wow.... Storm 08 games are always nail-biters as they keep my team at bay on the basepaths, hitting spots and timely hitting always strong for them. Hawks Ford may be the most complete team from top to bottom. They have depth in pitching and can beat you multiple ways. Great relationship with Hawks Hutch and his team of athletes just find a way to get it done, another fully loaded team... Finesse Munoz/Ice Blue will be looking for a rematch from our earlier contests from earlier years, those teams are really good, Finesse HOF we barely squeaked by in the Fall in a Friendly, but that team was brand new and Musser will have those guys ready next time they face us. Thunder 08, SGS 08, Thunder Elite 08, Dooms, etc will all be in the mix too.... My in-state rivals in the 09 class will be the Emeralds, Rays, Barnett, King, SGS Hall, Black, Outlaws, All really good and looking to knock us off.. Sad to see a lot of the top 09 players in the state have left for teams outside the state, but I understand.... Good Luck to Everyone!!

AnotherSoftballDad

Reaction score
They are not taking too much time. If your team played in Scenic City in November - you are listed on here. There are several other events included.
Of course the top of each list has what most consider the best or better teams in the State. But the rest of the list is just placing those who played in the included events.
Good, quality events - BUT, if my team didn't win a game - or was outscored at an event by 60, 80, 100 RUNS, I would not be bragging about being ranked somewhere.

As I said....there are flaws. There are flaws with any type of rankings. There are flaws with the rankings that Extra Innings puts out. The guy came up with a formula...lists the formula...and explains his rankings. The examples you listed are valid for sure. He put on his site "If you would like another tournament or showcase to be included, please provide a link to the results in your email."
But he listed the criteria and there was no human bias or opinion in the ranking itself. It appears his goal was to rank the top teams and ranking from some of the top showcases and tournaments which is a good place to start. But again, yes it is flawed. It is silly and ridiculous to "brag" about it for sure, I agree. To me....no one needs to tear it apart and purposely try and discredit it...nor should people being beating on their chests and taking this as gospel. A guy made a website, picked out a formula, and used some tournaments to develop HIS version of a ranking....no more or no less.

141333595_10160701246134408_5463225672186231400_o.jpg