Is there a correct amount of players for a roster per age group??

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
Interested to start this topic.
What’s your thoughts on roster size at each group? 8u, 10u, 12u less players?
14u,16u,& 18u more players?

what’s the correct number?

After really thinking this through I feel more is better at 14u+.

reasons for this:
Preps the girls for college environment of competing for their spots.

allows Some pitchers to be Pitcher Only.

if camps are happening and you have 1-2 attending it doesn’t matter you have enough without borrowing an “Ace” to come in and take time from your team.

it weeds out some of the lesser teams and makes for better competition all around.

that’s just some of my thoughts. We have 13 Athletes but I have considered expanding the roster to 15.

thoughts? No bashing please. Just your opinion on roster size.

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We are a split aged 14U team and are carrying 13 this year. Most are truly committed to the team and game itself so few will be missing from the tournament schedule.
That said, my first time through, with my 16U showcase team I found that I needed to carry 15-16 and at 18U showcase closer to 18-20 for various reasons.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
We carried a roster of 12 at 10u and 12U. We were blessed with 4 good pitchers at these ages that could also play other positions. As we went to 14 to 16u we carried 14 2 catchers and 3 pitchers. We lost two pitchers that had been with us for a couple years because the parents wanted them to get more innings and felt 4 was too many. This seems to happen a lot with travel teams. I would have liked to have 4 pitchers at the older ages and we had many tryout as well but at 13u and up its hard to find the talent level needed at pitching and catching to carry that many. At 18 we went back down to a roster of 12 of already committed players. If we were doing showcase events at 18 we would have added 2 or 3 . At 23u we rostered 16 due to the ladies working, and other commitments.

Last edited:

penguinswin

Reaction score
We carried a roster of 12 at 10u and 12U. We were blessed with 4 good pitchers at these ages that could also play other positions. As we went to 14 to 16u we carried 14 2 catchers and 3 pitchers. We lost two pitchers that had been with us for a couple years because the parents wanted them to get more innings and felt 4 was too many. This seems to happen a lot with travel teams. I would have liked to have 4 pitchers at the older ages and we had many tryout as well but at 13u and up its hard to find the talent level needed at pitching and catching to carry that many. At 18 we went back down to a roster of 12 of already committed players. If we were doing showcase events at 18 we would have added 2 or 3 . At 23u we rostered 16 due to the ladies working, and other commitments.

I think a lot depends on age, but also talent level. If you are a legit A level team, then promoting internal competition may be the best thing. If you are a B level or lower, I think playing time is more important. You never know which kids are late bloomers, or their parents can’t afford higher level teams. If everyone played only based on talent, having the same kids sitting all the time doesn’t make most of them better - usually its the opposite. Its the rare kid prior to 18U or even college that has the internal desire to get better because they aren’t playing enough, IMHO....

daboss

Reaction score
This is a good topic. I have an opinion and can share some past experience. I will state upfront that I do not believe there is a perfect answer. The above mentioned reasoning by so many is proof that situations require different mindsets to decide what is best.

Coaches want larger rosters to give them more options for each individual situation that can present itself per game------perhaps per inning. We have the luxury of being able to re-enter players which in turn helps us most of the time. Having the opportunity to "play" more than 9 players by utilizing the roster format is a big help. Many coaches struggle to understand this system including me, but it is there.

Players want to play. Doing anything is still better than nothing but ultimately their goal is to be active all the time. They struggle to be delegated to being a FLEX or DH because they don't consider it a primary position. Players want to be top 9. In those top 9 they want to be in the first 4-5 spots in the batting order. It's the competitive nature of a human being to be "King of the Hill" and to be dethroned can be a negative emotional experience.

While many good coaches take time to explain so many facets of the game, they ignore the impact of something as crucial as the batting order. It's put together by coaches for all the right reasons. They simply don't convey this to the players or more importantly to the family that can judge you. Many coaches leave this detail with a "Because I said so" attitude and that can come back to bite them in the butt.

Having said this, how do you decide how many players you should carry but more importantly how are you going to use them?

Travel rosters are going to be different from REC or school ball rosters. Let's talk travel ball. The first mistake a travel ball coach can make is to carry a larger roster simply to get money (fees). Do not carry a player if there is no intent to play the kid. If a parent insists their child be a part of the team you need to be perfectly clear their involvement would be for the experience and social aspect only. There would be no expectations of ever taking the field. Yes, this does happen. Coaches, make the parents sign a contract to have this documented. They hope by socializing they can somehow crack the ranks and get their kid in the rotation. Don't fall for this ploy.

Parents expect something for their investment (fees). Do not blow them off with the practice and experience is what they are paying for. That's a smoke screen they will eventually see thru and become a real problem later. If you need more money to have the season you want, raise your fees or do fundraisers. Anything else is unethical.

With a mindset that you need to play the girls most if not all the time, how can you achieve this? Diversify the roster. Plan on having pitchers playing secondary positions when not pitching. Have an extra catcher or 2 that can play other positions. They can't all pitch. It's unreasonable to expect 1 catcher can always catch every game. Develop the skills of others to be ready to go whatever might happen. One foul ball to a catcher and you may lose her for a weekend. One line drive to a pitcher and you could lose her as well. This, in a nutshell, is how a coach needs to plan a roster selection to insure the best result you can have under extreme circumstances.

It's been my experience that new teams will probably lose more games than they win. Normally that means playing the minimum amount a games guaranteed on any given weekend. With this, you may not get into a scenario where you need such diversity unless there are injuries or girls not coming. The same can be said for elite teams that just win, win, win. They play the minimum amount of games needed to win it all. It's the teams in the middle. Those teams that may get put into the loser's bracket early, yet make a strong run till the end that really test the fortitude of your roster. All you can do is make the best of it and take the result. You cannot structure a travel ball roster for those moments.

One of the "gimmicks" I used to implement was what I referred to as my "A" list of players. We live in a rural area and fielding a complete roster of dedicated girls for an entire season, without distraction, is not going to happen. The kids are involved in 4-H and FFA, they attend camps for basketball and volleyball that are "voluntary" by the school coaches but can't miss. Most are 2-3 sport athletes, even at 10u-12u age. Because of this, there will be weekends where subs are needed for the team to compete. I would select a core roster of 11-12 players. Others with potential will be offered a chance to be on our "A" list. They signed a contract for being on this list. They did not "pay to play". They were welcome to attend practices with the team and treated mostly equal in receiving instruction from staff. They did not get the perks (uniforms and such) but for the most part were handled just like roster players. If they wanted to come to the games they were welcome to come and sit the bench with the regular players. Their names would be on the tournament roster. They could purchase their own uniform to wear if they wanted but at no time were they considered for any playing time.

Here's the kicker, in the event that our roster was compromised, we would put them in. If we had a player/players that told us they would not be able to play a weekend due to another activity, we would call an "A" list girl up and activate her to full roster status for the day/weekend. If called up, she would receive the same treatment as a full roster girl and get her share of the playing time that predetermined time frame. We had spare uniforms available for her/them if needed but they had to turn them back in after the last game. If our regular girl showed because their activity was canceled or finished early, she sat the bench like an "A" list girl during that time frame. I am not going to go thru the pains of asking a girl to sub, then sit her just because a regular changed her mind or her other plans fell thru. I don't care if she's my starting pitcher---------she sits. Again, it's only ethical.

This "A" list concept achieved a lot of goals. It gives a coach a running list of reserve players to call upon. They practice with the team so they know the system and the staff. It gives us as coaches the opportunity to extend our instruction to more girls to help them hone their skills. Ultimately, coaches are teachers and should be teaching and mentoring. No dropping out of tourneys or forfeits due to player issues. You would be surprised how many girls/families would take advantage of the opportunity. It works!

To me, it is a "win win" for everyone while remaining loyal to your regular roster and remaining ethical.

To summarize; carry a tighter roster and be willing to play with as few as 9 in any given game but with the "A" list working you can do it knowing your back up players are standing by without expectations.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
this really doesnt take that much thought. its not rocket science.
To be fair to all players and families i would say these numbers are close to what you need.

10 - 12u - probably 12 player would be good. You need to prepare for injuries, unexpected family emergencies. Have 3 or 4 pitchers that can play other positions.
13u - 14u i would up it a little 13- 14 players... again depends on how many pitchers you have and if they only pitch or can play some other positions. If they only pitch, your roster might have a few more players.
15- 16u is a huge year for recruiting and the numbers should be too big, this way everyone can play. Usually showcases come into play and we always had primary and secondary positions for each player and would make sure in all showcase games they would be able to play both. So there is more of a showcase rotation than there is in younger ages.
17u - 18u i think depends on how many of the players are committed will determine the number on your roster. If most or all the team is already committed the roster size could be smaller. If you have a lot of players not committed then they will need to be playing and showcasing.....

over all the numbers will be from 12 players up to 15 or so.... I dont see any reason to have more than 15 players on a roster in travelball.

LineDrive1434

Reaction score
We are a split aged 14U team and are carrying 13 this year. Most are truly committed to the team and game itself so few will be missing from the tournament schedule.
That said, my first time through, with my 16U showcase team I found that I needed to carry 15-16 and at 18U showcase closer to 18-20 for various reasons.

Wow....just wow