Softball Showcase Question

Rerun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you had a choice between playing in a Showcase with only 18 under, 16 under and 14 under teams only? Would you rather attend the age focus group instead of a showcase with age groups all the way down to 10 under girl softball teams?

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
I think it’s pointless to have a “Showcase” event for 10u & 12u. Showcase events are designed for Athletes to showcase their talents for college coaches. 10u & 12u they are working on the fundamentals and still learning their base fundamentals. If a tournament is labeled “showcase” for 10u & 12u it’s no more than a money grab IMO. College coaches cannot recruit a 10u or 12u player. They can’t talk to them till their junior year so they typically start watching them at 14u. Parents get so caught up in the “Label”. Just play the best competition you possibly can at 10u & 12u and build the fundamentals and win trophies.
Once they get into 14u then worry about the “showcase” events not the trophies.

Personally I enjoy watching some 10u & 12u ball here and there. Those guys and gals are the REAL coaches. They are setting the roots and creating the base of the foundation. 10u & 12u coaching is tough but fun. Focus on the fun and build the Athletes. No need to worry about recruiting at 10yrs old. What fun is that? That’s stress from parents and coaches. Let them be kids compete win trophies and have fun!

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it’s pointless to have a “Showcase” event for 10u & 12u.
But what about L'il Suzy playing for the Hittin' Kittens who's such a stud at 10U that it's a foregone conclusion she will be battling against Monica Abbott when she reaches the NPF?:rolleyes:

08DDF2

Reaction score
The benefit in our area is that a showcase tournament at young age groups brings good competition from potentially multiple states. This is a benefit to a true A team, the experience of playing similar teams in talent is the real value. Plus parents get to see where their daughter needs to be as she continues to grow. That has been an eye opening experience for me.

Cat-Man

Reaction score
Well, the Florida Gators did offer a scholarship to an 11 year old in 2018. So there's that.

Cat-Man

Reaction score
That is not allowed anymore. So there's that.

Whether or not they can "offer" a scholarship is irrelevant. The point is they are watching. If they weren't, then it would be pointless to have a Showcase that included teams all the way down to 10U as the OP mentioned.

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
Whether or not they can "offer" a scholarship is irrelevant. The point is they are watching. If they weren't, then it would be pointless to have a Showcase that included teams all the way down to 10U as the OP mentioned.

It is pointless. Other than being able to charge more for “Showcase” label. At 10u and 12u it comes down to following those top teams. If a Director gets a top team to sign up for their tournament normally it helps pull other top teams. But to label it “Showcase” is just a way to charge an extra $200 per team and something else for parents to pump their chest about.

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This really comes into play with a exclusive hard to get into tournament like Stingrays as a example. A finite amount of recruitable age teams get in, alot dont. But theres a whole complex of 10 & 12's playing. WHY??? Ive known alot of college coaches and i cant tell you one that watches below 14u, the majority stuck to 16u.

Taryn Howard

Reaction score
Save the showcase tournaments for the older players. It’d be a pricey experience and not much of a benefit for 10& 12 U.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
funny but i think calling a tourney SHOWCASE is kinda like when all the teams started calling themselves Premier, GOLD, ELite etc......... this is just a way to say that their tourney is a very important one! SHOWCASE..... how many showcase events actually have a crowd of college coaches attend?
If no college coaches attend your SHOWCASE event... it aint no showcase! and as far as 10- 12u goes... from a players point of view I think these young ones have an opportunity to go over to some of the 14u 16u games and actually see college coaches watching games, holding their clipboards, wearing their college gear, talking to coaches and doing their recruiting thing... is pretty motivating for these young ladies and gives them motivation to work their buttts off knowing they will be on those fields soon!!

daboss

Reaction score
My advice is don't get wrapped up in the gimmicks to lure you into a tourney. Play in whatever tourney that fits your needs in your schedule for the sole purpose of the competition. Don't worry about any hype.