Best and Worst Coached Teams - 14U, 16U and 18U

LineDrive1434

Reaction score
So I think it could help the hundreds of parents who flock to TSZ for help in a variety of categories to hear opinions on who are the best coached teams from 14U through 18U. While it's important to get good coaching at all ages these are the years when it really counts the most for those ladies looking to at least play after high school regardless of where.

Coaching can make the difference for those who are not naturally elite or gifted (which of course is the majority as we all know).

This is not meant to be a trash fest, so if you're just angry at a coach because he doesn't play your daughter post it elsewhere please. BUT if you know of a team or two where the coaches are anything but that please share. You might be able to help a family avoid a mistake that could cost them an important year in their softball lives.

And I know it's hard for coaches to get on here and not provide praise for themselves under a different name or to pick on another coach but let's please try and make this a helpful tool for the families.

So let's hear it folks.......

Cheri Leann Selley

Reaction score
So I think it could help the hundreds of parents who flock to TSZ for help in a variety of categories to hear opinions on who are the best coached teams from 14U through 18U. While it's important to get good coaching at all ages these are the years when it really counts the most for those ladies looking to at least play after high school regardless of where.

Coaching can make the difference for those who are not naturally elite or gifted (which of course is the majority as we all know).

This is not meant to be a trash fest, so if you're just angry at a coach because he doesn't play your daughter post it elsewhere please. BUT if you know of a team or two where the coaches are anything but that please share. You might be able to help a family avoid a mistake that could cost them an important year in their softball lives.

And I know it's hard for coaches to get on here and not provide praise for themselves under a different name or to pick on another coach but let's please try and make this a helpful tool for the families.

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
WE'll definitely be watching this one....

animated-eye-image-0013.gif

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
I have been around the game for 30 years coaching at all levels of play and honestly I would say I have only met a handful of what I would consider poor coaches.
By far I have experienced more good to very good/effective coaches at all levels of play than what I would consider poor coaching.

Now there are some entry level / new to coaching or, a coach that may be experiencing a step up in level of play that may struggle in some areas but that does not mean they are bad coaches just lacking in experience and needing growth.

I think a better question would be, what are the attributes of an effective coach? If families/players know what makes up an effective coach they can look for those attributes and see if it matches what they are looking for in a team/coach. This can be done with observing tryouts, practice , games or with direct communication.

I would think some basics would be (in no specific order) of an effective coach would be:
Mastery of All forms of communication
Organization and Planning
Planning and running effective meaningful practice not just physical skill sets but including softball IQ/class rules, safety, conditioning etc.
Establishing expectations and managing to those expectations
A quest for personal knowledge, A coach working as hard on his/her game as they ask the players to work.
Are they a certified coach, are they planning to become a certified coach? What investments have they made to their craft?
As coaches grow from recreational through the various levels of play they also build a network of coaches within local recreational, travel, HS and college communities. If one has no network and they have been coaching for 3 or more years that could an indicator of a growth area.
What form of professional networking do they use to help themselves, players and families? Especially on 14U and above exposure teams
Are they balanced and objective with criticism (giving and receiving)
Are they realistic of their coaching and teams abilities

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

i will only say this........... when i am playing a team with daddy coaches... it usually doesnt take long to know who the kid is of each coach. HINT- those coaches kids usually get screamed at more than any other players on that team. i usually chuckle but in all seriousness its sad to see this. we always tried to have this rule when being a parent coach - " you should not be able to tell who the child is of a parent coach" coaches... step back for a moment and ask your self if you act like this to your kid at practices and games... if you do, PLEASE STOP IT. Its their game... not yours! and if you haven't realized it yet.. girls do not respond well to screaming. Go coach boys football if you want to scream at kids.

daboss

Reaction score
I have been around the game for 30 years coaching at all levels of play and honestly I would say I have only met a handful of what I would consider poor coaches.
By far I have experienced more good to very good/effective coaches at all levels of play than what I would consider poor coaching.

Now there are some entry level / new to coaching or, a coach that may be experiencing a step up in level of play that may struggle in some areas but that does not mean they are bad coaches just lacking in experience and needing growth.

I think a better question would be, what are the attributes of an effective coach? If families/players know what makes up an effective coach they can look for those attributes and see if it matches what they are looking for in a team/coach. This can be done with observing tryouts, practice , games or with direct communication.

I would think some basics would be (in no specific order) of an effective coach would be:
Mastery of All forms of communication
Organization and Planning
Planning and running effective meaningful practice not just physical skill sets but including softball IQ/class rules, safety, conditioning etc.
Establishing expectations and managing to those expectations
A quest for personal knowledge, A coach working as hard on his/her game as they ask the players to work.
Are they a certified coach, are they planning to become a certified coach? What investments have they made to their craft?
As coaches grow from recreational through the various levels of play they also build a network of coaches within local recreational, travel, HS and college communities. If one has no network and they have been coaching for 3 or more years that could an indicator of a growth area.
What form of professional networking do they use to help themselves, players and families? Especially on 14U and above exposure teams
Are they balanced and objective with criticism (giving and receiving)
Are they realistic of their coaching and teams abilities

You said it all. Thank you for sharing!

Cat-Man

Reaction score
i will only say this........... when i am playing a team with daddy coaches... it usually doesnt take long to know who the kid is of each coach. HINT- those coaches kids usually get screamed at more than any other players on that team. i usually chuckle but in all seriousness its sad to see this. we always tried to have this rule when being a parent coach - " you should not be able to tell who the child is of a parent coach" coaches... step back for a moment and ask your self if you act like this to your kid at practices and games... if you do, PLEASE STOP IT. Its their game... not yours! and if you haven't realized it yet.. girls do not respond well to screaming. Go coach boys football if you want to scream at kids.

I don't disagree with you at all, but you have to admit that MOST Dad-coaches feel like they need to yell and be harder on their own kids to try and PROVE to the parents (and the other kids) that there is no nepotism involved. If I had a dime for every time I heard a coach say "I don't show any favoritism to my daughter, I'm harder on her than anyone else on the team", I'd be richer than Jeff Bezos. lol But you are right, you shouldn't be able to tell who the coaches daughter is. By yelling and screaming, or having her play SS and bat 4th.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
agree with some of your thoughts but most dads are wrong....... you don't have to prove anything. if you are harder on your daughter than anyone else.. you are not being fair to your own kid. Being harder doesn't mean getting better results.