Hearing GAPSS is cancelled again this year..

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
I am hearing from a pretty reliable source GAPSS is cancelling again this year. If so that 2 yrs in a row after a strong 17 years. That sucks to see. Hurts our area for sure.

jt7663

Reaction score
Once again the Girls are ROBBED .............

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
I think it’s more so they probably was having a hard time to fill this tournament. The talent level for this event has dropped off significantly over the past few years. You have the Great Lakes showcase event the same weekend and A TON of teams from Ohio in that event.

td@gapss.org

Reaction score
Coaches/Players/Parents:

It is with a heavy heart that I write this response. Yes, the GAPSS organization has decided to cancel its 2021 tournament and cease to operate going forward. While this is not ideal, we wanted to make this announcement early enough so you could find another option for your teams. We will be issuing full refunds to all registered/paid teams within the next 2-3 weeks.

Since its founding 18 years ago, the GAPSS organization has always existed for the purpose of showcasing players AND raising money to support the Olentangy School District high school softball program(s). The cancelation of the tournament in 2020 due to COVID coupled with the evolving landscape of showcase-style tournaments has resulted in a much smaller than expected/normal number of registered teams which makes running a quality tournament difficult to justify from a fundraising perspective. In addition, as tournament director, I have reached the end of my ability to lead the organization. 12 years is a long time. While I have tried to figure out a way, I see no clear path for transitioning the GAPSS organization to the next generation of volunteers which is what has led us to cease operations going forward.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience and I am disappointed this is the outcome after 18 years.

Mike Wilson
GAPSS Tournament Director

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
Mike,
we are sorry to hear this. GAPSS has always ran a top notch event but as you said there's more and more "showcase" events out there and they all try to run on the same weekends. Very well run tournament so hopefully the coming years you can get this back off the ground again. Good Luck and take care.

Doom Leader

Reaction score
As three time champions of this tourney, this tournament use to be one of the top showcases around! Nice run GAPSS! Great memories!
DoomStrong!

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
My 14u team came up short in the Ship in 2019. I will say the Bat that was given out for trophies is probably my favorite piece of hardware as a coach. Mike and the staff always worked hard and made sure fields done before games and always clean. Clean ports potties too! Great run GAPSS! In a year or two coaches will for sure regret not registering for this event.

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Beavercreek's Beaver, USFA's Panama City Nationals Surfboard and GAPSS Bat are 3 coolest trophies I have received!

daboss

Reaction score
Thank you to all the volunteers that have dedicated their time and effort over the years to make this tourney a favorite to so many organizations. Take pride in knowing you have done a wonderful job. A special thank you to those volunteers that have worked for many of the years after they really needed. It shows the level of commitment they were willing to put into the project without personal expectations. Good people, good times, and many great memories.