BUYERS BEWARE

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
There are lots of factors that comes into play with High Performance bats. One Myth is the bat cost a lot so it must be durable (that is not the case).
Actually the most durable bats cost the least. What parents/players need (as discussed earlier) is an education on the "tools of the game" and bats are one of the least understood piece of equipment by players and coaches. Amazing how many players/parents do not know the areas of a bat, end load vs. balanced, multi piece vs. single construction, what the color or number ring is for, types of grips etc.

Getting the right bat for the player is key: What type of hitter they are, physical strength and size all play a part in selecting the correct size and model.
Since this is about drop 11/12 bats these have always had durability issues from all manufactures because the weight is cut from the handle/knob to keep barrel standards.
I seen a post about a titanium bat in the thread. I will have to go back and check but 1993 when they came out there were breakage issues as well as so many injuries from batted balls MFG had to put disclaimers on them. By 2004 most sanctioning bodies outlawed them. (We also used 50.core 400+ comp balls back then). I remember the 11" super green dots 47cor,400 comp were like hitting a baseball.

Understanding how batting cage balls, Hurricanes and other objects outside of softballs effect bat performance and life is a key factor in durability.
Other factors include the temperature of the bat, balls, playing / practice day effect performance and life of bat.
Drop 11/12 are generally used by very small ladies at the younger ages (under 12) or by slappers. My teams 14 to 18 were sponsored by Miken so we had team bats every year and huge discounts on player bats and equipment so we would use them anywhere regardless of practice, game conditions.

We also used our sponsorship as a fundraiser selling over 300 bats during that time. Most of our warranty issues were the pink Halo -11. It was a hot bat to swing but just did not have a long striking life like most -11/-12 during that period.

Good short video
https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/Certified-Equipment/Fast-Pitch-Study-with-Voice-Over

Last edited:

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
It's all about sizing the bat properly. Don't forget... mass x acceleration=velocity. Just because you go to a slightly heavier bat and lose a few MPH of swing speed doesn't mean your DD will lose distance. On the contrary. It usually means she will gain some...and some bat longevity as well.

Great point, My DD swung the heaver bats 34"-25/27oz all through HS/College. Its not for every player but those around 15 that are able to swing heaver bats should be making the transition to do so.

jt7663

Reaction score
I'm a little amazed all the Activity with this Post. Goes to show when we are talking $$$ our interest is PEAKED! lol

daboss

Reaction score
There are lots of factors that comes into play with High Performance bats. One Myth is the bat cost a lot so it must be durable (that is not the case).
Actually the most durable bats cost the least. What parents/players need (as discussed earlier) is an education on the "tools of the game" and bats are one of the least understood piece of equipment by players and coaches. Amazing how many players/parents do not know the areas of a bat, end load vs. balanced, multi piece vs. single construction, what the color or number ring is for, types of grips etc.

Getting the right bat for the player is key: What type of hitter they are, physical strength and size all play a part in selecting the correct size and model.
Since this is about drop 11/12 bats these have always had durability issues from all manufactures because the weight is cut from the handle/knob to keep barrel standards.
I seen a post about a titanium bat in the thread. I will have to go back and check but 1993 when they came out there were breakage issues as well as so many injuries from batted balls MFG had to put disclaimers on them. By 2004 most sanctioning bodies outlawed them. (We also used 50.core 400+ comp balls back then). I remember the 11" super green dots 47cor,400 comp were like hitting a baseball.

Understanding how batting cage balls, Hurricanes and other objects outside of softballs effect bat performance and life is a key factor in durability.
Other factors include the temperature of the bat, balls, playing / practice day effect performance and life of bat.
Drop 11/12 are generally used by very small ladies at the younger ages (under 12) or by slappers. My teams 14 to 18 were sponsored by Miken so we had team bats every year and huge discounts on player bats and equipment so we would use them anywhere regardless of practice, game conditions.

We also used our sponsorship as a fundraiser selling over 300 bats during that time. Most of our warranty issues were the pink Halo -11. It was a hot bat to swing but just did not have a long striking life like most -11/-12 during that period.

Good short video
https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/Certified-Equipment/Fast-Pitch-Study-with-Voice-Over

Excellent post and full of top quality information. Thank you for sharing with everyone and I wholeheartedly agree with every point of interest.

daboss

Reaction score
It's all about sizing the bat properly. Don't forget... mass x acceleration=velocity. Just because you go to a slightly heavier bat and lose a few MPH of swing speed doesn't mean your DD will lose distance. On the contrary. It usually means she will gain some...and some bat longevity as well.

Again, great information. It's refreshing to see coaches that are so in tune with the equipment used in the game and your post is spot on target. Many are unaware of the formula to consider when sizing a player for a bat.

When you start sizing a girl at about 14u or above, you really need to consider swing speed and weight to get the most production out of a hitter. In my opinion, at the youngest of age we need lighter bats to help teach a proper swing, meaning mechanics and form. With the newest equipment now available we have it to work with, unlike 20 years ago when manufacturers didn't take the market that serious. Now, it really takes a coach and knowledgeable parents/players to "fit" the older hitters with the equipment that can sustain consistency and productivity and that might mean a heavier bat.

Again, great info!!!!!