pitchers step back rule? how, when, what, dbl step?

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
please simplify the pitchers step back rule

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com

2020 NFHS rule video.
In HS, most leagues today struggle getting ladies with any pitching instruction outside of season or, are willing to dedicate the time needed to actually pitch.

This year I have seen many games where the pitchers had no windmill, large kick back and looked more like slow pitch than fast pitch.

In summer league play the pitching rules are enforced more but the ladies also get private instruction. High school may have been impacted more with the year off and covid protocols this year also but there is a overall decline in pitching.
Those few that have it are generally undefeated in their league or have went on long winning streaks as a result.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i guess more specifically i want to know is the step back foot, when can they or cant they?

when can they step back? does the step back foot need to be back prior to getting sign with push off foot on rubber? or if both feet are already on rubber, get sign hands apart, then can she step back?
stupid rules. lol

IRdad09

Reaction score
i guess more specifically i want to know is the step back foot, when can they or cant they?

when can they step back? does the step back foot need to be back prior to getting sign with push off foot on rubber? or if both feet are already on rubber, get sign hands apart, then can she step back?
stupid rules. lol

I'm following this closely. Each week at 12u it seems to be something different. If you play in a PGF it is one thing (no step back) if you play somewhere else it is another set of rules (you can step back). I understand the PGF part since they use College rules. This doesn't make sense to me since 12u is no where near College, but whatever. I just want some consistency and better understanding.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
The NCAA rule is entirely different than the NFHS/high school rule. USA softball only began allowing a step back last year and their new rule matches up with the high school rule. As for all the other alphabet soup of sanctioning bodies...you’ll have to check their rule books.

For NFHS and USA softball, the pitcher may start in her preliminary position with the pivot foot in contact with the pitching plate and the stride foot either in contact or behind the plate.

One step backwards with the stride foot may be taken. It must begin before the hands are separated after being brought together.