catching coach

1. S

Catching and Catchers discussion Catching Coach Dayton Area?

I have several girls that are interested in catching lessons in the Dayton area. please send me a message if you are interested. These girls are travel ball players. Thank you!
  2. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Blocking, Framing, Throwing drills combo

Blocking Drills 1) Shadow Blocking (No ball)-- Coach stands behind the catcher. Catcher assumes their stance. The coach tells the catcher what pitch is thrown and where. The coach will give the catcher a few seconds to get ready. When the coach claps their hands, the catcher will assume the...
  3. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catcher Quick feet

CATCHER: QUICK FEET Helps a catcher develop quick feet. Catchers assume their stance with runners on base. On command from the coach they jump with their feet so that they are facing 90 degrees to where they started. On each command they jump another 90 degrees. They never come out of their...
  4. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catcher Softball hands drill

CATCHERS: TENNIS SOFT HAND Teaches the catchers to catch the ball properly. Equipment: Tennis balls or safety balls, catchers gear if desired. Procedure: Catcher assumes her stance without a glove. The coach or partner throws tennis balls or safety balls close to the strike zone. The catcher...
  5. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Working on catchers stance

CATCHER: STANCE Show the catchers how to crouch properly, give a sign, and position themselves the right distance from homeplate. Equipment: Homeplate, glove, bat and catchers gear if desired. Procedure: Pair the players up as a catcher and a hitter. The hitter should take her stance at home...
  6. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers teaching catchers quickness an coordination

CATCHING: CATCHER'S PADDLE DRILL I am a catcher for my high school softball team and would like to share a drill that benefitted me greatly. Have your catcher stand behind a plate in full gear. I find that this drill works best in a gym with a backstop or wall behind the catcher. Instead of...
  7. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catching throwing thru a hoop at second bases

CATCHING: HOOP DRILL You will need a hula-hoop and some softball. Place the hula-hoop upright over second base (a coach will hold it) and instruct your catcher to make her throw from homeplate through the hoop. This develops accurate throws. The second part of the drill, you can put a...
  8. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catcher keeping the ball in front of you

CATCHING: PING PONG DRILL I have been catching for 2 years now and I was taught the ping pong drill last year. The catcher is in FULL gear and the coach is at least 3 feet away throwing ping pongs at the catcher. The catcher does this drill first without a glove, then with a glove. It teaches...
  9. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catchers, Catching POP-UPS

CATCHING: POP-UP DRILL Here is a good catching drill that our catchers do at every practice. The catcher is in ready position with all the gear on. The player/coach stands behind the catcher. The person in back tosses the ball high into the air and yells "ball" and the catcher imediately throws...
  10. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catching, Catcher's reaction time practice

CATCHING: REACTION DRILL I was a high school catcher and we had several drills we incorporated into practice. Two which I have just recently revived are reaction type drills: The purpose of the first is to get beginning catchers (or rusty veterans) used to seeing a flying object come directly...
  11. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catchers in the dirt and pop ups

CATCHING: REPETITION DRILL The best thing for catchers is repetion, throw 50 balls in the dirt for blocking the plate, make them throw 50 to second off the pitch. A good one for flies is have them crouch with the coach on his knees in front off her, with ball in hand stretched out so the...
  12. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catchers Wild Ball practices

CATCHING: WILD BALL DRILL Keep a full bucket of balls on the pitchers mound, and throw every ball in the dirt in front of the catcher. Vary the pitches - some to the glove side, some right at the catcher, and some to the backhand side. After throwing all the balls in the bucket into the dirt...
  13. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Speed and accuracy for catcher

CATCHING: TRIO DRILL Hi, I've been playing softball for 6 years and just started catching 2 years ago. On our team we do a drill that involves the catcher, the pitcher and the short stop. What happens is the pitcher pitches the ball, when the catcher catches it the pitcher drops to the ground...
  14. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catchers working on the wild pitch

CATCHING: SIDE TO SIDE SPEED DRILL I have been a high school catcher for 3 years now. A very good drill we did to enhance speed and the ability to move from side to side quickly was to get behind the plate in full gear, and have the coach or pitcher throw or pitch balls to both sides of you...
  15. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catching thowing down to second base

CATCHING: SECOND BASE THROW DOWN DRILL Hi There!! I've been a catcher since eighth grade--that's 7 years--and I've caught for many pitchers and with many different teams. Here's a drill for strengthening and quickening throw downs to second base. The idea of a trash can is great--for more...
  16. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catcher throwing down to second base

A significant thing that is not stressed with catchers is the throwing mechanics when attempting to pickoff a baserunning stealing second base. A catcher should always bring their hand up to their ear and throw (of course with a snap). When a catcher throws their glove (which should be extended...
  17. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catcher blocking the ball

One the best drill for catchers is to set up the pitching machine at the pitchers mound and to shoot the balls into the ground just behind home plate and in front of home plate, in full gear of course. Inside drill is to tie catchers hands behind there back and throw sponge balls into the floor...
  18. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catcher working on the passed ball

CATCHING: BACKSTOP DRILL One thing I like to have my catchers work on is retrieving balls near the backstop and making the play at the plate. I dump a bucket of balls along the backstop behind the catcher. The catcher starts in her usual stance; the pitcher starts approximately halfway to home...
  19. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catcher's Checklist

A Catcher's Checklist I. Position/Setting Up Catcher positions herself arm's length from the batter. In a squat position, feet slightly wider than hips. Give a large target to the pitcher. Hold still and stay low. No runners on base, butt can rest on heels. Runners on base, butt parallel to...
  20. SoftballBomb

Catching and Catchers discussion Working with young catchers

During my years in High School I volunteer with my old youth league to help train young players. It was a great experience that I really enjoyed. I’m not really sure how I was selected as the instructor for the catchers since I played SS since I pickup my dads golf balls and try throwing them...