fielding

1. Chelsea Raker

Central Ohio Instruction @ D-BAT Columbus East

I am now offering private lessons, camp, and clinic opportunities at D-BAT Columbus East. Private Instruction will be offered on Mondays & Wednesdays 4PM-7PM, and the November Hitting Clinic will be offered every Wednesday from 6PM-7PM. Please visit www.dbatcolumbuseast.com to reserve your spot now!
  2. Rerun

Player was hit hard by Ball now afraid to field Grounders need help.

Short Stop has never been afraid of anything until 3 weeks ago when she took a bad hop off the ground that hit her chin hard. Now she's afraid when fielding ground balls. What could you recommend to get her back to her old self?
  3. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders team competition practice

FIELDING: THAT GAME DRILL We have called this drill "that game" because my daughter and I don't have a name for it. You split your team into 3 teams it works well with 12 players and 2 coaches. One team goes to the outfield, one team playes the infield and the other team is up to bat. One coach...
  4. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Infielder's learning to get rid of the ball quickly

FIELDING: STAR DRILL GAME This is a drill that I think we all have used, it just slipped my mind when I was doing this site. Thanks to Scott Otto for bringing it to my attention!! You get your infielder's at their position (except the pitcher). The ball starts at the catcher, she throws to the...
  5. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Improve the mental aspect of your fielding skills

FIELDING: SITUATIONS DRILL One drill that our coaches use with us is where the infield takes their positions and the coach makes up situations for us. Like...A runner on 1st and 2nd...2 outs...and then she hits the ball to us making us like its a real situation and we have to figure out what to...
  6. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Work on three skills and keeps 10 players busy.

Quick Play - Drill Work on three skills and keeps 10 players busy. Hands and Eyes Coordination. Fielding Technique, Throwing, Thrown ball and receiving Thrown ball.
  7. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Teaches them to be ready for anything

FIELDING: READY FOR ANYTHING DRILL Have someone to throw the ball and to catch. First you form a line about 30 to 40 feet away from the person that is throwing the ball. Tell the players just to charge the ball. Also tell them that they could expect almost anything. Grounder, Pop Fly, or a line...
  8. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Fun drill for fielder's

Ram Game Cones are set just behind baseline and 15-20 feet apart. Coach tries to hit balls past the two fielder teams. Bobbles are OK as long as ball doesn't pass the cones. When fielders miss ball, the next team is up. Fielders can either be at same depth, or one can move closer to the...
  9. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Improve the players reaction time

FIELDING: PEPPER GAME The name of this game is Pepper. A coach gathers a small group of players which are only a few feet from her. The coach then hits or bunts the ball to the players in any random order, then the players must use quick reactions to retrieve the ball and accuracy to pitch...
  10. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Fielding indoor softball game

FIELDING: KNOCK OUT GAME When my team is stuck in the gym for a couple of days it's hard to keep up their interest. I do an X-out drill where the team is divided into two teams and stands on the corner of gym on opposing corners. Each coach stands on the opposite end at the corners and...
  11. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders 75-100 ground balls within 20 minutes

FIELDING: GROUNDERS DRILL I coach fastpitch girls at Northwest High School and Northwest Senior League levels, in Southern Ohio. Our high school and Sr. League team works frantically with this favorite of mine. It allows for each fielder to see nearly 75-100 ground balls within 20 minutes...
  12. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders FIELDING GUTS GAME work on fielding

FIELDING: GUTS GAME The girls have created their own names for this drill - guts, kill your teammate, the grounder game. Simply divide the girls into two teams. Have the teams form two lines about 40 to 60 feet apart, with players shoulder to shoulder three feet apart. Place something two feet...
  13. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Teach agressive baserunning, hitting, and fielding

FIELDING: GLOVES OFF GAME We use this drill to teach agressive baserunning, hitting, and fielding. The drill uses a whiffle ball and a plastic bat. First set the bases at about 40 feet apart. Divide your team in two. One half fields and the other bats. Fielders do not use their gloves. We want...
  14. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Get completely in front of the ball

FIELDING: FUNNEL DRILL This drill was one of the most helpful drills as a player, and now as an assistant coach. Players can do this drill after warming up their arms, with their partner. One player keeps their glove on, the other takes their glove off. The partner with the glove rolls them the...
  15. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Fielding ground balls, throwing accuracy, and pivoting

FIELDING: FOUR CORNERS DRILL I call this drill the Four Corners. Players are located at 3B fielding position, 2B (on bag), 1B (on bag) and at catcher. All other players are lined up at 3B coaching box. Coach hits ground ball to 3B who throws to 2B who throws to 1B who throws to catcher. After...
  16. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Keeping your eye on the ball drill

FIELDING: COLORED NUMBERS DRILL This drill is to help the kids keep an eye on the ball. I write numbers on the balls in different colors 1-5. The girls have to field the ball and call out the color the number is written in. When they get the hang of that have them call out the number written. I...
  17. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Hitting, Fielding, Throwing, Base Running practice

FIELDING: BAT AROUND THE HORN GAME My name is Gary Shepherd. I'm a high school coach at Fox, Oklahoma. I call this drill BAT AROUND THE HORN. It works on every aspect of the game--Hitting, Fielding, Throwing, Base Running and requires two teams of 5 players. (It can be played with 6 players or...
  18. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Fielding Drill game for Short Stop

FIELDING: BARNEY GAME I got this drill from our current Hitting Coach, Coach Burney. It is the most fun game we play and the players absolutely LOVE IT!!! You get a Barney (or any other stuffed animal, but Barney works the best because they hate him) and put him on a chair by 1st base. If you...
  19. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Fielding and Throwing drill

Eight Ball Drill 1) Player stands shoulder width apart, puts throwing arm up at 90 degree angle, holds elbow with glove, throws ball to partner just using her wrist action. 2) Player sits with legs spread and has arm in same position only this time she can use from her elbow up and throws the...
  20. C

Former OSU All-American running Mini Clinics

Former Buckeye All-American and current assistant coach Cammi Prantl will be running Mini clinics starting this week! We will have catching on Tuesdays, Hitting on Wednesdays, and Fielding (infield) on Thursdays. for more info or to sign up...