trainging drills

1. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Conditioning and control training

THROWING: TARGET PRACTICE GAME This drill is for conditioning and control. Player set-up A catcher stands between first and second base with a discard bucket. The rest of the team stands between third base and home with gloves. Ball set-up Place three balls on the first baseline, spacing them...
  2. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Improve the mental aspect of your fielding skills

FIELDING: SITUATIONS DRILL One drill that our coaches use with us is where the infield takes their positions and the coach makes up situations for us. Like...A runner on 1st and 2nd...2 outs...and then she hits the ball to us making us like its a real situation and we have to figure out what to...
  3. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Field the ball with both hands and use soft hands

FIELDING: PADDLE DRILL For this drill we made paddles with straps out of ping pong paddles and stapled a strap on to the back of the paddle. Have the players strap on the paddles and hit them tennis balls on the ground. This teaches them to go to the ball with both hands and also to have soft...
  4. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Fielding indoor softball game

FIELDING: KNOCK OUT GAME When my team is stuck in the gym for a couple of days it's hard to keep up their interest. I do an X-out drill where the team is divided into two teams and stands on the corner of gym on opposing corners. Each coach stands on the opposite end at the corners and...
  5. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Underhand shovel toss

There are many instances where the underhand shovel toss is the proper throw for an infielder. The first baseman shovels the ball to the pitcher covering first base. The middle infielders use the underhand toss for plays around second base. As the fielder fields the ball she doesn't stand...
  6. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders 75-100 ground balls within 20 minutes

FIELDING: GROUNDERS DRILL I coach fastpitch girls at Northwest High School and Northwest Senior League levels, in Southern Ohio. Our high school and Sr. League team works frantically with this favorite of mine. It allows for each fielder to see nearly 75-100 ground balls within 20 minutes...
  7. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Fielding ground balls, throwing accuracy, and pivoting

FIELDING: FOUR CORNERS DRILL I call this drill the Four Corners. Players are located at 3B fielding position, 2B (on bag), 1B (on bag) and at catcher. All other players are lined up at 3B coaching box. Coach hits ground ball to 3B who throws to 2B who throws to 1B who throws to catcher. After...
  8. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Keeping your eye on the ball drill

FIELDING: COLORED NUMBERS DRILL This drill is to help the kids keep an eye on the ball. I write numbers on the balls in different colors 1-5. The girls have to field the ball and call out the color the number is written in. When they get the hang of that have them call out the number written. I...
  9. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Cross Fire working on throws from 3rd base

Cross - Fire Drill Work on three skills and keeps 10 players busy. Hitting, Hands and Eyes Coordination. Fielding Technique, Throwing. Receiving Thrown ball. There is a hitter and catcher, and one or usually more fielders. I use 10 player when I do this drill. Place both hitters and Catchers...