training

1. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Conditioning, eye on the ball, coordination, soft hands

Three Player Weave (conditioning, eye on the ball, coordination, soft hands) Sart on an endline of the basketball gym floor with three across. Explain that this drill takes a lot of coordination and teamwork. Using a safety softball (no gloves) each player is to run the floor weaving in and out...
  2. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Don't forget to work on throwing

Players form two lines facing each other about 15 - 20 feet apart. The coach flips a ball to the first player. That player throws to the player across from her. That player immediately throws the ball to the next player in line across from her. This continues until the catcher receives the ball...
  3. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Gets her in shape and be alert the whole time.

My Coach this year taught our team this drill. You have to divide your team up into 3 groups. The first group stands between first base and second base. The second group stands at short stop. The third groupstands at home plate. A coach and the catcher stand a little to the side of the plate...
  4. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Conditioning and control training

THROWING: TARGET PRACTICE GAME This drill is for conditioning and control. Player set-up A catcher stands between first and second base with a discard bucket. The rest of the team stands between third base and home with gloves. Ball set-up Place three balls on the first baseline, spacing them...
  5. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Mechanics of proper throwing techniques, using certain isolation training

This throwing drill is used for warm ups and is done is a series. It allows the players to focus on the "mechanics" of proper throwing techniques, using certain isolation drills. 1.) Indian style: have the players start approx. 10-12 yards from their partners sitting indian style. By throwing...
  6. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Make three good throws from third base

THROWING: 3-2-RUN GAME I got this game from the ohio fastpitch connectuon website. If anyone knows whose it is, I will gladly give them credit. It is a game we use almost every week. Place 3 balls on the ground evenly spaced, about 3/4 of the way from third base to home. The fielding team has...
  7. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Improve throwing accuracy and footwork in the infeild

THROWING: HIT THE BUCKET GAME To improve throwing accuracy and footwork in the infeild, I like to divide my team in two groups. Half are positioned at short stop and the other half are positioned at second base. We mark off a starting point that the girls must stay behind until a ground ball is...
  8. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders team competition practice

FIELDING: THAT GAME DRILL We have called this drill "that game" because my daughter and I don't have a name for it. You split your team into 3 teams it works well with 12 players and 2 coaches. One team goes to the outfield, one team playes the infield and the other team is up to bat. One coach...
  9. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Infielder's learning to get rid of the ball quickly

FIELDING: STAR DRILL GAME This is a drill that I think we all have used, it just slipped my mind when I was doing this site. Thanks to Scott Otto for bringing it to my attention!! You get your infielder's at their position (except the pitcher). The ball starts at the catcher, she throws to the...
  10. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Drill for the outfielders

FIELDING: STAR DRILL My name is Kate Earnest and I play for Galloway High School. I attended a fastpitch camp this summer and one of the drills that we learned was the star drill for the outfielders. The fielder stands about 20 yards away from the thrower. The fielder runs to the right and...
  11. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Work on three skills and keeps 10 players busy.

Quick Play - Drill Work on three skills and keeps 10 players busy. Hands and Eyes Coordination. Fielding Technique, Throwing, Thrown ball and receiving Thrown ball.
  12. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Relay throwing the ball

FIELDING: RELAY THROW DRILL Have the players line up in a line stretching to the outfield. Have the first player throw the ball to the glove side of the second player in the line. Do the same for the rest of the players. This teaches the proper location for the relay throw and also teaches...
  13. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Teaches them to be ready for anything

FIELDING: READY FOR ANYTHING DRILL Have someone to throw the ball and to catch. First you form a line about 30 to 40 feet away from the person that is throwing the ball. Tell the players just to charge the ball. Also tell them that they could expect almost anything. Grounder, Pop Fly, or a line...
  14. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Fun drill for fielder's

Ram Game Cones are set just behind baseline and 15-20 feet apart. Coach tries to hit balls past the two fielder teams. Bobbles are OK as long as ball doesn't pass the cones. When fielders miss ball, the next team is up. Fielders can either be at same depth, or one can move closer to the...
  15. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Field the ball with both hands and use soft hands

FIELDING: PADDLE DRILL For this drill we made paddles with straps out of ping pong paddles and stapled a strap on to the back of the paddle. Have the players strap on the paddles and hit them tennis balls on the ground. This teaches them to go to the ball with both hands and also to have soft...
  16. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Working on over the head balls

FIELDING: OVER-THE-HEAD DRILL Have the players line up and have one of them selected to field a ball hit over her head. Hit or throw the ball over her head and to the right or left. Make sure that she does not run with her glove up, but rather put the glove down and run to catch the ball and...
  17. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders FIELDING GUTS GAME work on fielding

FIELDING: GUTS GAME The girls have created their own names for this drill - guts, kill your teammate, the grounder game. Simply divide the girls into two teams. Have the teams form two lines about 40 to 60 feet apart, with players shoulder to shoulder three feet apart. Place something two feet...
  18. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders This drill is good for footspeed, fielding and personal effort.

FIELDING: GROUNDER FLYBALL GROUNDER GAME My favorite drill is called grounder Flyball grounder. It goes like this: Line all of your players up at third base. Hit a hard grounder to the first person in line. As soon as they throw it in to the coach throw a high fly to first. Make the player...
  19. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Get completely in front of the ball

FIELDING: FUNNEL DRILL This drill was one of the most helpful drills as a player, and now as an assistant coach. Players can do this drill after warming up their arms, with their partner. One player keeps their glove on, the other takes their glove off. The partner with the glove rolls them the...
  20. TheSoftballZone

Girls Softball Drills Fielders Outfielders fielding ground balls

FIELDING: CONES DRILL Set out some small cones in an arc in the outfield and then hit grounders to the outfielders. They must round the cones before reaching the ball. This teaches them to go to the path of the ball and keep there eye's on the ball.