12U Coach's Poll - Week of 6/16/08

1st place votes in ( )

Rank ? ? ?Team ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Pts.
1Cincy Doom 95 (2)78
2Ohio ICE (2)76
3Laser Silver (3)75
4Stingrays (1)60
5Valley Extreme - White (1)55
6Laser Gold50
7Emeralds30
8Ohio Classics25
9Roadrunners (Zanesville)17
10Buckeye Heat 9516

Others receiving votes
Ohio Top Guns (6), Cincy Static - Black (3), SGS Magic Red (2), Miami County Blaze (1), ?Scioto County Wild Thangs (1),

Now this poll is very interesting for sure. I hope we see the Doom again. They beat us early in Berliner and then we got them back in Toledo. All very good teams. I just wish there was a tourney that the top 15 in the state would all attend. I would love to see a tourney, whether it is GAPPS, Berliner, the State Tourney in Fostoria, the Sting Ray tournament or whatever that would all of these teams would play in. If anyone has ideas of how to do that - I would be game.

Coach Murph

I have not seen the Ice , L.silver, or Valley ext white, Emeralds or Roadrunners. Any of those coming to NSA States in 2 weeks ?? Doom,Rays, Wild thangs are in for sure . MD

Static Black will be at the NSA States.

BTW: The Wild Thangs should get more votes than we did - they beat us 1-0 last weekend in Sluggerfest!!!

Kavin

12U Ice will see ya at Nationals.
Outside of Uncle Stan's the remaining tourney's are 14U.

Heat 95 has a LOT of improvement to achieve before they could crack the top five in the state (have to get past those pesky "walk-about" innings where we play as though we are an entirely different defensive team), but the girls are working really hard towards the goal of being in the same class as the Doom, Ice Silver, Lasers, etc.

Heat 95 will be at Stingrays and GAPPS. What other 12U teams are playing Stingrays? It IS too bad that there doesn't appear to be one tournament where most of the top teams will play.

cgs said:
Heat 95 has a LOT of improvement to achieve before they could crack the top five in the state (have to get passed those pesky "walk-about" innings where we play as though we are an entirely different defensive team), but the girls are working really hard towards the goal of being in the same class as the Doom, Ice Silver, Lasers, etc.

Heat 95 will be at Stingrays and GAPPS. ?What other 12U teams are playing Stingrays? ? It IS too bad that there doesn't appear to be one tournament where most of the top teams will play. ?

8 teams are at Stingrays...........

1. Stingrays (Canton)
2. Stingrays (Douglass)
3. Finesse
4. Buckeye Heat `95
5. Ohio Classics
6. Team Indiana
7. Lasers Gold
8. Cincy Doom `95

GULP . . . I just checked the Stingrays web site, which says that there are ONLY 8 teams in 12U for the tourney. No easy games for anyone in that draw!

bummer for us, the Furies 12u, as we applied,in October, and were not accepted. Would've loved to have been there, win or lose, to play most of those teams.

Heard via the grapevine today that the 12U draw was confined to 8 teams because the TDswanted to expand the field in 16U and 18U in light of the many college coaches that are now attending the Stingrays tournament. That makes sense. And the decisions on the applications to play are made in early winter/late fall, so I guess it is pretty likely that the selection process will end up with an anomaly where a young team like Ice Silver, who is playing so exceptionally well this summer, is not part of the field.

Ice silver is a 2nd year team and I think Ice 11U had a good season last year led by the same coach. Our 1st year with the team.

By "young" I was just referring to the 12U category and the fact that it probably received less attention in the application process that the older age groups. I'm as bemused as anyone as to why Ice Silver was not invited. My intended point was that once a decision was made to only have an 8 team draw, it was almost inevitable that a team who would go on to have a really, really successful summer was left out.

Re: Laser's GOLD?

Who has Lasers Gold beaten of significance? Is that the team that was in the Marion Rebellion 12u division?

Re: Laser's GOLD?

Hitman said:
Who has Lasers Gold beaten of significance? ?Is that the team that was in the Marion Rebellion 12u division?

Calling ManitouDan...Hitman could use a little advice here. ;D :cool:

The Gold team is very solid and there was some chatter early on that they were the better team between the Silver and them. After seeing them play a very good common opponent (Indy Thunder). I have to give the edge to the Silver.

Gold 0
Thunder 3

Silver 6
Thunder 0

The Gold however, will once again be THE force next year in 12U.

I seen them tie the Roadrunners and barely lose to the Ohio Ice (Ice won in the bottom of the 7th) in Massilon earlier in the year. Looked pretty solid to me.

So far the Lady Laser Gold have beaten among the ranked:Roadrunners, Top Guns, SGS Magic Red, Scioto County Wild Thangs, and the Classics. They beat the Ice indoors early but lost a close one to them at Massilon in the all nighter. They also went 3-3 this past weekend playing up in the 14u division at Whitehall losing their 3 games by a total of 3 runs. Could not be more proud of how they are handling themselves as a young 12.

I'm confused

Which one of these laser teams does coach murph coach? I believe that is the team that will be at ASA States- correct? And are they the younger or older 12-U team?

Thanks
OP

Gold is very solid, for a team of 11's they hit better than 90% of the 12's I've seen. We have not been beaten soundly all year except for the Lasers Gold game. They drilled us (Wild Thangs) 14-1. Needless to say we did'nt play our best ball but that does speak to their abilities. Cincy Doom 95 beat us 7-4 and 3-0. All in all I'd say they are ranked about right ---top 5 in my book.BUT I have not seen the teams up north (Roadrunners Emeralds Top Guns etc etc and our org doesn't vote due to that ) FWIW I have not seen their # 1 pitcher either. MD