12U Coach's Poll - Week of 7/7/08

1st place votes in ( )

Rank ? ? ?Team ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Pts.
1Ohio ICE (6)102
2Cincy Doom '9589
3Stingrays (1)84
4Laser Gold (2)72
5Laser Silver63
6Valley Extreme - White (2)51
7Buckeye Heat '9537
8Ohio Classics30
9Roadrunners (Zanesville)20
10Ohio Danger (Braun)17

Others receiving votes
Emeralds - Black (13), SGS Magic Red (7), Wild Thangs (5), Ohio Top Guns (4), Scioto County Wild Thangs (3), Chain Reaction (2), Cincy Static - Black (2), Miami County Blaze (2),

Five of the teams in the top-10 will be at the Stingray Tournament this weekend, should be some interesting shake-ups!!!

Cincy Doom
Stingrays
Lasers Gold
Buckeye Heat ?95
Classics

Ice Silver would have loved to be at the Stingray tourney too (didn't get accepted).
We'll be playing up 14U in Niles.

Lasers Silver also - only one team from each age group could come - tough to be the new kids on the block - new team this year.

We ( Laser Gold 96 ) have seen six out of the top 10 and the Ice Silver are no doubt at the top, we are 1 and 3 against them with the only win indoors early. ( does that count ) ? All but 1 game was decided in the last inning by 1 run. With the addition of Miss Minnie their # 1 they will be tough to beat, she has become one of the top 12u pitchers anywhere, good kid who no doubt works really hard.

bold catcher thanks for the info on the ice -- I was curious if they had played either Laser team, Beating you guys any at all tells me they are the real deal. When was the last time you played them ? MD

We faced the Ice at Uncle Stans. Boldcatcher is correct, they are definitely #1 out of the teams that we have faced so far. We also played them in the Massillon all-nighter! ;D

laserdad , boldcatcher... check is in the mail ! lol see you guys at nationals..

Oh my bad, I thought this was a poll, not Laser Nation being the authorities. .... Just kidding:)

I do have a serious question. Why did Ohio Ice not try to go to ASA Nationals? Why not the Laser Gold? Laser Silver (RED) went when they were 11"s. I am not knocking these teams as they are good, I am just asking, since they are good teams, why not ASA.

I help you Lasers out ?;D and agree of the teams we have faced Ice is #1 in my book. We have played Silver,Stingrays,Danger and Doom also. Will get a look at a few more this weekend at Stingrays.

The Ice is a very good team, I think the only losses they have this year were to the Furies, Valley Extreme, Evolution and Lasers Gold @ 12u.

Don"t know for sure but I think all the losses came b-4 Caitlyn Minnie joined the team ? She can be a difference maker.

Here's a few thoughts based upon the Stingrays tournament, which was a great, great experience for the Buckeye Heat '95 team. Heat lost in pool play to Lasers Gold 8-3 (Gold hit the ball hard, Heat had too many defensive errors, and Heat just wasn't patient at the plate) and beat the younger Stingrays team 4-3. Then in the first round of elimination Heat played extremely well but lost 4-2 to the Cincy Doom '95, who clearly deserves one of the top three spots in the poll. One of the Heat pitchers came of age in that game, as she gave up only 1-2 earned runs (I think it was only 1, but I don't have the stats handy right now) against this great team. In the loser's bracket we played Lasers Gold again. Through 4 innings both teams played very very good defense and the score was 1-1. Lasers scored four in the 5th inning and that one is on the Heat coaches as we probably should have gone earlier in the inning to relief. Heat scored one in the 6th and time expired, giving Gold a 5-2 victory.

We didn't get to see the new and improved older Stingrays team play, but if they beat Doom '95 twice in championship play, then they are quite a team and probably significantly improved over the team we beat at Compuware. Classics also showed very well at Stingrays, with a big comeback win against Lasers Gold in the loser's bracket.

Heat played Lasers Silver at GAPSS and while we edged them out in that game and lost twice to Gold at Stingrays, I believe that Silver is a tad better than Gold, mainly because of pitching. But I'm splitting the proverbial hair quite finely here.

So while I haven't decided a specific order yet, I've got the Stingrays-Caton, Doom '95, and Ice Silver (who we lost to in the semis at Compuware) in my top three, with the two Lasers teams and the Classics in the next tier.

One final thought: Buckeye Heat '95 may drop out of the Top 10 in The Ringer's vaunted poll based on the losses at the Stingrays tournaments, but that's a trade-off I'll take any day. (Sorry Ringer). What a great experience to play some tight games against Ohio's best; I've got to believe that even with the losses ours is a much more confident team for having played. We almost assuredly won't be able to make the cut for the Stingrays field when we move up to 14U next year and we will definitely miss the buzz of playing in such elite and classy company. [Just had a thought: a round-robin friendly the week of Stingrays next year, with all the Ohio 13U teams who played in Stingrays 12U in 2008 but didn't make the cut for 14U 2009?? (and Ice Silver and Lasers Silver getting sponsor's exemptions?)].

PS: Ohio Danger will also be in my top 10 after their success against the Heat and Lasers Silver at GAPSS.

Lake Erie Diamond CHIX blue deserve a mention. They are a mix of 11s and 12s, beat the Classics (dd pitched complete game) in the Marion PONY championship game and have played well against the Ohio Ice in the two times they have met (Maple ASA and an N Ridgeville NSA). The Ice right fielder saved the game for them at Maple in the bottom of the final two innings with incredible plays on solid hits when runners were on. We were #1 seed and looking forward to an opportunity to play our friends on Lasers Silver at the Nailbiter but rain cut that short like everyone else.

I enjoyed reading the insights of cgs. It can be difficult to decide how to rank the teams. One might not have seen all the teams. A team might have had a good game or a bad game the one time one saw them. Does one base it on one game, one tournament, the beginning of the season, the overall season, or how the team did at the end of the season or nationals? Plus, sometimes the roster changes. We were missing Autumn (a good pitcher and hitter) this past weekend. Perhaps others were missing players, as well. Sometimes players are added to rosters during the season. I think Minney has helped Ohio Ice. Did a team play Ohio Ice before or after she joined them? That can affect one's decision. What does one decide when a team has two rosters, a NSA roster and a ASA roster that has a couple players from another team? The Stingrays got better by adding a couple Wild Thangs players to their ASA roster. Does the voter just think of the team's NSA roster or ASA roster when voting (or both somehow)? All these factors and more can be considered by voters. Are most of these teams going to be at the NSA World Series in Columbus? That might be the best chance of seeing them in one location.

Come on Laserleader. If you can comment, you can vote. You have until about 11:00PM tonight. Gimme your 1 thru ?10. :)