14U Coach's Poll - Week of 7/7/08

1st place votes in ( )

Rank ? ? ?Team ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Pts.
1Slammers (12)120
2ICE (Richards)85
2Lasers - Red85
4Tigerlillies67
5Miami Valley Express 59
6Valley Extreme (Kieser)42
7Cincy Doom - 9338
8Lasers - White30
9Ohio Wave (Rosinski) 29
10Stingrays (Seeds)26

Others receiving votes
HOH Force (24), Miami County Blaze - Gold (20), Akron Sapphires (5), Valley Extreme (Pierce) ?(5), Diamond Dominators (4), Buckeye Heat - 94 (4), Cincy Storm (4), Ashland Blaze (3), NWO Lady Irish Gold (3), Gahanna Lady Lions (2), MOV - Flamin' Fury (2),

Six top-10 teams will be playing at the Stingrays Tournament this weekend, in addition to four others receiving votes. Should be very interesting to see what happens.

Top-10 Teams
Ohio Ice Richards
Lasers- Red
Miami Valley Xpress
Cincy Doom 93
Ohio Wave
Stingrays- Seeds

Others Receiving Votes
Heart of Ohio Force
Akron Sapphires
Buckeye Heat 94
NOW Lady Irish Gold

You are correct coach. Whoever makes it through this meat grinder probably deserves the spot right behind the Slamma's

Not sure how Ice - Richards continues to receive such a high ranking. I know it was 50 minute games, but I saw them live for the first time this weekend and they are not even near one of the top 5 or so 14u teams I have seen this season. I guess they are being ranked on last year's success even though we are near the end of THIS season. I'll take the rankings for what they are - opinions. ::) I guess this wekend will be more telling than a mockery of a state championships.

its really hard to make a firm opinion about any team when we see them for only one game or one weekend. these kids have ups and downs just like anyone else, and you never know what true level they are really at. overall by the end of the season everyone should have a good feel for the order of these teams. stats don't lie at some point and it appears that most of the teams listed in the top 16 or so have played a nice schedule and plenty of decent teams.

this wekend at stingrays should sort out things a little but even then it is doubtful that most of these teams will actually play eachother. There are a number of excellent teams from many other states.

Looks like scott finally got his parents to vote.lol keep up the good work.

I thnk that only coaches vote in these polls. not 100% sure but thats what I read somewhere.

Looks like scott finally got his parents to vote.lol keep up the good work
HONK!! HONK!! ?He is always tooting his own horn. ?If the truth be know he probably has 4 logons.(lol)[/quote]

Some personal observations ...

We're done, went 2-3. In pool, won one & lost one on tiebreakers, then lost opening bracket game in a heartbreaker after leading 3-1 going into last inning versus Ohio Wave which went on a roll (beat Stingrays Seeds), then we sent Compuware home 2-0, then played Lasers Red tight before being forced into a few errors and losing 4-0.

Then, watched Lasers Red get beaten by a nearly PERFECT team in Ft Wayne Fire 1-0. Ft Wayne Fire was so perfect in fact, that they were down (5-1 or 7-1) in a rematch with Lasers Red a few games later after they fell back to the lower bracket. I though they might be the best team here when I saw the first game. Barring a BIG late rally once that game resumes, Fire will be a VERY good team leaving early.

Stingrays Seeds & Cincy Doom were also locking horns in a 2-0 game, with the trailing team facing elimination but with a rally going win the rains came also, while Ice Richards was close to finishing off the Finesse. Pittsburgh Spirit was looking great also, despite a tough pool loss.

There are numerous "logic failures" all over. I am simply amazed at how good and balanced the 14u division is this year. There are definitely a handful of teams winning more than others and the poll is a pretty good representation of who is doing better, more often, but I am pulling my hair out trying to grasp a true heirarchy - THERE AIN'T NONE!!

Would have been nice to do better, but as a younger 13u team swimming with the sharks it is still great watching so many solid teams hack away at each other, and be a part of it all, priceless experience! Could be as many as 8 teams truely "good" and "deep" enough to win 14u, and that could change if replayed next week. Whoever does win it deserves a LOT of credit, it is indeed a MEATGRINDER - no breathers!

I have to agree with Pickle dad. I was on field duty so I got to watch about every team at one time of another. After watching the Slammer's play this year I still put them first, but rest can move up and down on any given day. This was my first time watching the Miami Valley Express. I knew with Coach B as the coach they would be good. We had a rough first day playing Rich's Wave team then the Pittsburg Spirit in our fist two games. 13U's gained experience for next year.

pickledad, I agree. Your team is very well coached and solid all the way around and really enjoyed playing you guys over the winter. We have played over 30 different teams this year, some of them16u, and most have been solid. There's not much wiggle room for errors, just one can be costly. Slammers are in a class by themselves and the others in the top 10 at this point I believe have been more consistent throughout the year.

The Miami Valley Xpress-Pearson team was honored to be selected to play in the 2008 Stingrays Tournament and very pleased to represent Ohio in the Championship Game. The Game was outstanding softball with excellent pitching and defense. The final score of 1-0 represents two fine teams making it thru excellent competition. The Xpress went 7-2 this weekend with both losses by scores of 1-0. WAY TO GO LADIES OF THE MIAMI VALLEY XPRESS 14U !!!

Kat21 you guys did look very good this weekend. Way to represent Ohio and I wish that you guys could have gotten it done. The Indy Dreams team is the one that knocked us intot he losers bracket on sunday and they were the best team that we played there. I know that you guys got them in pool play 5-0 so they are lucky that you had to work your way back to them in the championship game. It definately helps to go thru and wait for someone to get back to you on a hot sunday afternoon.

We were also honored once again to be selected to play in this excellent event. It is the one that we looked forward to all season long. Hands down the best level of competition in the state. Without playing in this event you really don't know where you stack up in your age group. Our number one priority for next season is to get selected once again to attend this event next year.

Thanks to the entire Stingrays organization for hosting this event and doing such a fine job even given the weather situation on saturday. Job well done.

Rich
Ohio Wave

I didn't get to watch too many of the 14U games this weekend due to my duties at the tournament, but I did get to see the scores and listen to some of the coaches comments about their competition (I did sneak away and watch some of the MV Xpess and Stingrays-Seeds game :(). ?The Ohio teams did really well. ?There were some moments of loss of focus, but all-in-all I think the teams were able to use this as a good measuring stick to see where they are and what adjustments to make with the NSA WS starting next week. ?

I would like to thank all of the 14U teams for their cooperation during the rain delays and the changes following the rain delay. ?You guys made our job a lot easier.

Valley Rage Gold 14u played up at the Loudonville 16u Tourn. this weekend and won it!!!!! They beat the Ashland Blaze 16u 2-1, Pheonix 16u 3-1 and Tidalwaves 16u 3-2. VRG is definitely a good team with a record of 53-8-1, they have won two 16u tourn. outright. They have a very strong lefty pitcher and the catcher calls the games. So when you hear talk about the top 16 teams at the 14u level and a team such as VALLEY RAGE GOLD is not mentioned, I think you have alot of coachs voting for each other. I think the tourn. that is being talked about is great because once you are in the dirt the buddy system is out the window. Everybody will find out, just because you can sell your organization as one of the best, doesn't make it so. I've seen some of the teams listed play and I would suggest they pee in a cup to see what kind of drugs they are on. The slammers are very strong and the lasers are solid. I thought we might get to see the lasers white, but they didn't stick around long enough in Loudenville 16u to play us. I mean no disrespect, but when you start talking about the BEST, there sure is alot of good ones out there. I'm sure VALLEY RAGE GOLD is definitely one of them and given the opportunity to prove it, we will.

PS: Please respect the game and keep it real

r

Bout XXXX time someone called it out. Been at 3 tourneys were some of these 14u teams have went up and got knocked out pretty early ( Like 2 games). I was waiting!!!!. Still playing!!! I respect the chance they take playing up, and its good for the girls sometimes. Most of all I think the coaches do it be they think they are just as good as the older team that might be doing well and they think thats what they have to live up to. Kudos to you VALLEY RAGE GOLD for making a statement in the polls. ;) Keep up the good work ! !!

MMKSOFTBALL: ?First of all, Congratulations on your win this weekend. ?As far as the poll, ?it's just for fun....it doesn't mean anything....there is no prize to win by being in the top 10. ?People simply vote on teams they have seen. ?I personally have never heard of your team. ?It doesn't mean they are not a good team, it just means you are not at the tournaments that I am at. ? Voters can't vote for team if they have not seen them play. ?Are you going to Nationals? ?That's where it counts. ?Don't get wrapped up in a silly website poll, ?just be proud of what your girls are accomplishing!! ?

You had mentioned that the Laser White team did not stick around long enough to play you this past weekend. ?I am not a coach of this team, or even a parent, but I was talking to one of the parents and they have been playing wounded this year. ?This past weekend, they did not have thier lead off hitter (very fast) due to shin splints...they also have been playing all year without their starting 2nd baseman and probably one of the best hitters on the team due to broken leg in high school....they also have been playing for the past 4 weeks without thier starting pitcher due to stress fracture (leg). ?So maybe you shouldn't talk down about a team when you don't know the circumstances. ? How well would your team do in a 16-U tournament, or any tournament, without your "lefty" pitcher, your best hitter, ?and your lead off hitter playing?? ?

Just something to think about!

i'm from cleveland area, but have gone to a lot of top tourneys around the state and have to admit i haven't seen valley rage this year
what tuornaments and finishes does valley rage have this year
and now the BIG question -- what did they do against the slammers?

Like Scoremore says, this is just for fun, and a way to generate even greater interest in following softball around the state. It's a fun way to track the successes of the teams that are perceived by the general consensus to be having the best season, notably by playing in higher profile tournaments against the perceived better teams. I can also tell you that I pay a lot more attention now to what is going on around the entire state. Our team has been competitive with most teams in the top 10, but is not in the top 10, but we certainly enjoy the challenge of identifying the teams that seem to be among the best around the state or at least the "most consistently" good, and measuring ourselves against them. Our 13u team finished 2nd out of 30+ teams in the winter high school Spano League (18u) losing to 18u Ice in Champ Game, but is not "ruling" 14u like that might suggest. That was "fool's gold", especially since teams are at full strength and more polished now.

Sounds like you have a very nice team to do so well in a 16u tournament at THIS time of the year when most teams are forming up strong for the Showcases like Compuware, Stingrays, and States & Nationals. Your team appears it should get to the bigger tournaments in your age group to get the measurement and respect you deserve, if that is important to you, otherwise you fly beneath the radar. For fun, I will keep an eye out for your team now that I know about it. Good luck with the rest of your season!

I'm with pickledad on this one (does that make me sour or kosher? :p) anyways, while we can debate the accuracy/meaning/importance of the OFC ranking until our icon is blue in the face, what's more important are the hits these threads are producing.

i think with these polls, you'll have more fans/other coaches more inclined to watch someone else play on a whim rather than pack it up and leave (and the coaches all know each other anyway, so it's not like they are suprised/fooled by someone's ranking or wins). The more hits and interest OFC gets makes US stronger. The polls (not poles--those are for the kentucky border girls--if you get my drift :cool: ) are a sign of progress, nothing more. We (nation, not just ofc-philes) value competition and discusssion on who is the "best of the best". Just look at how many polls (once again, not poles--those are people frm Poland ::) ) there are that rank college football teams on ESPN.....plus, with all the hubbub, maybe some teams will be more prepared going into a game...I have been noticing less blowouts and more nailbiters...someone is listening/reading because the competition sure is fierce, wether to get INTO the ranking or to prove someone wrong

beleive me, if we could we would do a fan poll (for the third time, it's not a pole like "i wouldn't touch ringer with a ten-foot poll), but I'm afraid of rummaging through several hundred posting on my pm's, that ricky would have to give me my own server! until then, long live the coach's poll (once again, not a pole, that's what firefighter's shimmy down :-X )

peace to ya brother!