1st to 2nd steal throw down coverage

#4mom

Reaction score
Does everyone have the SS take the throw down from catcher on 1st to 2nd steal? Just curious, we’ve always taught our daughter SS takes the bag since having momentum for the play. But new coach is having second take the bag.

So just curious how other do it?

BigZ

Reaction score
Just depends on who the coach feels gives the team the best shot at the out.

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
Does everyone have the SS take the throw down from catcher on 1st to 2nd steal? Just curious, we’ve always taught our daughter SS takes the bag since having momentum for the play. But new coach is having second take the bag.

So just curious how other do it?

In 25 yrs, I' ve never seen any teams use there 2nd baseman to cover a throw down to 2nd base from the catcher on a steal from 1st to 2nd base. I'm trying to understand how any coach would even think that a smart move. There so many reason why you shouldn't do it, that I'm have trouble believing any coach would even consider doing it unless it some type of trick play.

#4mom

Reaction score
In 25 yrs, I' ve never seen any teams use there 2nd baseman to cover a throw down to 2nd base from the catcher on a steal from 1st to 2nd base. I'm trying to understand how any coach would even think that a smart move. There so many reason why you shouldn't do it, that I'm have trouble believing any coach would even consider doing it unless it some type of trick play.

No his DD plays 2nd. What you said is what I’ve always been taught and taught my daughter. Just wanted to 100% check there isn’t something new going on before I question it lol. Youngest still in learning years so I wanna make sure she is being taught right.

I know baseball will use 2nd baseman but this isn’t baseball.

JoeA1010

Reaction score
A decent number of college teams use the coverage in the video above when there is a slapper at the plate and a runner on first. This allows the shortstop to just worry about the slap. The danger is that the first baseman is playing back and the pitcher must cover a bunt on the first base side.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
As a base defence it should be the shortstop. The defence at times will and should adjust. Sometimes the SS will be up over or back further from the2nd base bag than the second baseman thus making it their coverage. I have also seen coverage from SS with throw downs to third. While rare, I have also seen it happen at first base as well when the corners are up and a opportunity presents itself for a throw to the second base covering first. All these situations are generally seen on the older 14u and above stronger teams.

jt7663

Reaction score
You answered the ? for yourself when you posted = "His DD plays 2nd" Another case of DaddyBall at it's Finest

BA824

Reaction score
We have our SS take most throws, but as others mentioned we do have it in our play book to have 2B take throw in some cases such as slapper at plate

Long Baller

Reaction score
A burner at first and a good slapper at the plate will destroy that defense every time. I've seen it happen more times than I can count over just the past couple of years. :confused:

Long Baller

Reaction score
I was referring to having 2nd base cover the throw in my above post. On offense, I WAN'T the defense to do that.

#4mom

Reaction score
I was referring to having 2nd base cover the throw in my above post. On offense, I WAN'T the defense to do that.
Seems like it takes too much time, especially the younger ages, for 2nd to get there then turn around to get the throw.

coachjwb

Reaction score
I have definitely seen it done both ways, though 90+% of the time it's the SS. It can depend on how the defense is lined up and if the 2B is closer to the bag, it can depend on the relative skills of the 2 players, etc. Sometimes, especially at the younger ages, the player playing SS has a much stronger arm to make the longer throw, but may not be more skilled to actually take a throw and make a tag. I don't think I ever had 2B cover on purpose anyhow, but just saying I have seen it.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can it work on certain situations? absolutely as seen in the video above. However, I have not seen any teams or heard of any that teach it as the way to do it in softball unless its a special defensive play. baseball... yes with a righty batter 2nd will usually cover the throw. maybe respectfully ask the coach what the advantage is for 2nd to cover.

Curious... what age group?

Doom Leader

Reaction score
Certain situations we use 2nd to cover , seems to work out most of the time?

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
A few situations that could result in second taking the throw down
1. Speed Slapper is up -- Power slapper we may play straight up
2. Dead pull hitter (pitch inside, ss deep in hole)
3. A bunt defense where 1st is staying home
4. 1st and 3rd situation, with 3rd baseman is way up for bunt and you are trying to throw out runner going to 2

Last edited:

Itaintsoft

Reaction score
Having 2nd cover steal is a simple way to free SS to focus on lefty batter. Most SS will "cheat" towards base on obvious steal situation opening up the 5/6 hole the batter's aiming at anyways. Just good softball sense. Don't matter who's DD is at 2nd. Silly point really.

#4mom

Reaction score
Can it work on certain situations? absolutely as seen in the video above. However, I have not seen any teams or heard of any that teach it as the way to do it in softball unless its a special defensive play. baseball... yes with a righty batter 2nd will usually cover the throw. maybe respectfully ask the coach what the advantage is for 2nd to cover.

Curious... what age group?
11u, it was not any special plays it was him wanting 2nd to take every throw down. After trying it in a couple games and another coach asking him why, well that decision has now been reversed.

#4mom

Reaction score
Having 2nd cover steal is a simple way to free SS to focus on lefty batter. Most SS will "cheat" towards base on obvious steal situation opening up the 5/6 hole the batter's aiming at anyways. Just good softball sense. Don't matter who's DD is at 2nd. Silly point really.
It was for every throw down, not any special plays or batters.