2009 NSA Rule Changes

Found this on the Ohio NSA Website:

1. Teams awarded "B"berths are no longer permitted to play up. Meaning: if you qualify "B", you are only eligible for the B State and B Nationals. However, you may continue to pursue an "A" berth.
a. You may not participate in the B State and then play in the A Nationals. ("B" can not move up). Qualify B, B State, B Nationals, Qualify A, A State, A Nationals.

2. The 18u and 16u divisions are permitted to wear metal cleats.
a. This rule is by division not the age of the player: If a 14u player moves up and plays 16u, that player is permitted to wear metal cleats while playing in the upper division.

3. 8 berths will be offered for each division at the State tournament.
a. Note: to participate in the State tournament, you must have played in another NSA tournament during the 09 season or an 09 qualifier.

3.8 berths will be offered for each division at the State tournament.
a.Note: to participate in the State tournament, you must have played in another NSA tournament during the 09 season or an 09 qualifier.

I can't for the life of me come up with any reasonable justification for Ohio teams to have to play in another NSA event prior to playing in the state event. I thought the USSSA requirement to play in a state event prior to playing in the Nationals was not well thought out, but I think NSA has topped them this time. Is there anyone out there that can tell me why either the NSA or USSSA requirement is good for Ohio teams?

Can these be different by state? I'm asking because, regarding 3.8 ... in PA, the NSA State Tournament is Memorial Day, the first tournament of the season for 16-18U.

Or am I misunderstanding this rule?

paragraph 3 is an Ohio thing I believe. Here are the rule changes from http://www.playnsa.com/pdfs/NSA_Fast_Pitch_Rule_Changes_2009-b.pdf

2008-2009 FAST PITCH RULE CHANGES​
1. Rule 3 Equipment
Page 106 Section 4​
Shoes with metal cleats are optional in the 16U and the 18U age divisions.
*Exception: When a ball park has specific rules that prohibit the use of metal cleats, the official park rules will take preference and be observed.​

2. Rule 4 Players & Subs
Page 110 Section 2- (a-4)
Delete: “and the use of the (DH) will be terminated for the remainder of the game and the original (DH) loses re-entry privilege”.​
Add:​
If the substitute is a pinch runner or pinch hitter other than the player being hit for, she must be a player who has not yet been in the game, “and that substitute then becomes the (DH). By substituting this way, the original (DH) retains her re-entry privilege”.

3.8 berths will be offered for each division at the State tournament.
a.Note: to participate in the State tournament, you must have played in another NSA tournament during the 09 season or an 09 qualifier.

I can't for the life of me come up with any reasonable justification for Ohio teams to have to play in another NSA event prior to playing in the state event. I thought the USSSA requirement to play in a state event prior to playing in the Nationals was not well thought out, but I think NSA has topped them this time. Is there anyone out there that can tell me why either the NSA or USSSA requirement is good for Ohio teams?

It has been that way for years. This is a NSA slowpitch by-law they forced into the fast-pitch game. Now if you are one of a certain state directors "pet" teams, that requirement goes out the window..............Same with the "alternate state" tournaments that all of sudden pop up when an organization of 3-4 teams decides they can't make the original state tournament the weekend of the 4th. This happened last year when metro Cleveland held an ASA National qualifier the weekend of the 4th of July.

And folks ask me why I left this glamorous organization............

If you pay the entry fee you can play in the NSA nationals... With all of the Classics teams, we have only done this 3 times over the last 10 years but I know teams that haven't played in a single NSAQ and gone to the World Series. there is something about greenbacks that change the NSA people's minds.

Last year they had an "indoor alternate state" and then a tourney in northern Ohio wasn't getting anyone to sign up so they made it an alternate state (then they cancelled it because no one still signed up)

What is the price difference between the sanctioning body's?