2016 ASA Rules Changes

InSider

Reaction score
Now that everyone has had the chance to play under the ASA rule changes for this year, what do you all think?

If you are unaware, the playing rules aren't major rule changes. They got rid of the requirement for batting helmets to have chin straps. They also now allow on-deck batters to use either on-deck circle, depending on which side they bat from.

As far as code changes, there is some release clarification.
Article Number ChangeArticle 106 P 03
Player Release is for a player that has participated on a team in championship play. Theymay be released from a team after participating in Championship Play, but it shall be prior tothe State / Metro Association roster change deadline and shall have written approval fromthe Coach and Player / Parent Guardian ( if under age 18 ). For Junior Olympic Players, ifthe Manager / Coach and Parent / Guardian are one and the same, there needs to be anadditional Manager / Coach signature. For Adult Players if the Manager / Coach and thePlayer are one and the same, there needs to be an additional Manager / Coach signature.This Player Release Form must be approved via signature by the State / Metro Association Commissioner or his / her designee. A player may only be released one time. If arequest to be released is denied by the coach the player may appeal tothe Executive Director.

The rule changes also state that the top 10% finishers of the ASA/USA National Tournament get a returning berth. There are other items that were changed, but I don't imagine they effect the vast majority of teams.

I will say, I never understood why batters couldn't use either on-deck circle. I always felt if there were an advantage to be gained by this, it would be to the right handed batter. But that being said, I don't believe there really is an advantage, since players know how to time a pitcher from just about anywhere in foul territory.

Also, with the chin straps, I can't say I've ever seen a chin strap keep a helmet on a player. If they hit hard enough to knock the helmet off the head, then those chin straps were wholly ineffective. This is just my opinion.

What are your opinions? Have you been effected this year by any of these rule changes? Are there other changes that you would like to see?

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
I will say, I never understood why batters couldn't use either on-deck circle. I always felt if there were an advantage to be gained by this, it would be to the right handed batter. But that being said, I don't believe there really is an advantage, since players know how to time a pitcher from just about anywhere in foul territory.

Aside from "tradition", the thought was that you wanted to keep the on-deck batter away from "enemy territory". There was thought to be a possible downside to having a player over milling around by the other team's dugout, especially if there had been any bad blood between the two teams.

Timing the pitcher didn't have anything to do with this rule change. There is a perceived safety advantage to the on-deck batter being on the "open" side of the batter at the plate, with respect to getting hit by a sharply pulled foul ball. I'm not entirely convinced that this perception is accurate. I've seen some pretty wicked foul balls go to both sides of the plate, and the worst injury I ever saw to an on-deck batter was on the open side.

For what it's worth, ASA doesn't just randomly come up with this stuff. Rule changes are proposed by the player representatives and commissioners, then voted on by the general council. Somebody, somewhere, thought this was a good idea, proposed the rule change, and got it pushed through.

So far this year I've worked in a half dozen ASA tournaments, covering about 30 games, and have yet to see a single hitter use the opposite on-deck circle.

Also, with the chin straps, I can't say I've ever seen a chin strap keep a helmet on a player. If they hit hard enough to knock the helmet off the head, then those chin straps were wholly ineffective. This is just my opinion.

The newer helmets are light years ahead of the older ones as far as fit. The form-fitting padding that wraps around the checks does a lot better job of keeping the helmet in place, so chin straps aren't really needed.

I thought that the older helmets stayed on with a chin strap, if the chin strap was properly tightened. Usually I'd see the chin strap hanging down, not even touching the chin.

But...one less thing to worry about...

I have noticed during pre-game equipment checks that virtually every helmet still has a chin strap on it, so I wonder if most players are even aware of the rule change.

okiedad1961

Reaction score
Couple questions on the rule changes.
1.When is the Ohio deadline for roster changes
2.How do you determine or find out your in the Top 10% of a USA/ASA Event.
Thanks for the info

crystlemc

Reaction score
The way I read the post is that it's the top 10% of last year's national championship tournament. Maybe I'm wrong?

Reaction score
Story time!!!

Funny this post comes up after the on-deck circle rule came up over the weekend in my first game at the 5-Alarm Classic. From what I understand, the rule read that an on-deck batter may use either on-deck circle regardless of what baseline their dugout is in. When I read this change over the winter, it made a lot of sense to me. It was a clear way to maximize the on-deck batter's safety.

I have had 2 instances at ASA tournaments this year where an umpire refused to allow my batter to use the other circle. The most recent event at 5-Alarm got hectic and it should not have been. I get the all fields (and on-deck circles) are different. The field we were on had fairly close circles in proximity to home plate. My right handed 4 batter gets up. My right handed 5 batter comes to the 3rd base on deck circle to warm up. The umpire stops the game and makes her go to the other side. I told him that it is an ASA rule that she may use either circle. It is a safety precaution. I refused to give in because he was a chest bumper as it is. Ultimately my first base coach got thrown out of the game because of it. I will say the game started 15 minutes late because he was still getting his gear on at his trunk. Fans and coaches started riding him because of his lack of hustle and tardiness. So he was ticked off from the beginning. The bottom line is he either didn't know the rule or had superiority complex as the home plate ump. The sad part is it was all about the safety of an 11 year old girl. So....fast forward a few games on the same field. The same crew is doing the game but the initial home plate ump is now in the field. The opposing team that I was playing earlier was playing on the same field again and batting. They had an on-deck batter get hit with a line drive. Case closed. I hope that initial home plate umpire looked the rule up and apologized to the girls family who got hit with the line drive.

okiedad1961

Reaction score
The way I read the post is that it's the top 10% of last year's national championship tournament. Maybe I'm wrong?
No your right,that being the case you and everyone would know if in 10%.still would like a date on roster releases.

b lesh

Reaction score
Couple questions on the rule changes.
1.When is the Ohio deadline for roster changes
2.How do you determine or find out your in the Top 10% of a USA/ASA Event.
Thanks for the info
ASA put out a list of qualified teams from last year and you must have at least 5 returning players.

absolute59

Reaction score
So far this year I've worked in a half dozen ASA tournaments, covering about 30 games, and have yet to see a single hitter use the opposite on-deck circle.

At 5 Alarm last weekend I saw a lot of it.

Coach_Tom

Reaction score
I think the ASA rule changes for this year were all positive. Our batters have used the opposite on deck area many times this year - they prefer to be on the closed side, they feel that is safer than the open side, especially when they can tuck in a little deeper behind the batter.

The rosters being frozen after ASA States is a minor annoyance. Our States in PA started June 17 and ASA/USA is first week of August. That is a long time for injuries to happen and also in 18U you have a lot of seniors going off to college so some don't want to play first week of August and you need subs for them too. I am aware that you can still do 3 ASA-approved pickup players after States, but maybe 4-5 is needed, at least give teams a few more weeks to set the roster.

Speaking of pick-up players, I also don't understand the rule that a pick-up player has to be ASA rostered on another team to be used as a pick-up after ASA States deadline occurs. Why can't I just grab a girl from my High School team who does not play travel and add her to my ASA roster as a sub? Taking a girl from another team is OK, but taking a girl without a team and adding her to a team is not allowed. Makes no sense.

While I am ASA-ranting, I'd also like to know why ASA Photos IDs cost $7-8 more than ASA non-photo IDs each year? Does it really cost $7 in ink to add that 1inX1in photo in the corner? And if you go on the ASA website they will tell you how great and easy the Photo IDs are for check-in at States and Nationals - if it makes it so easy for the check-in staff then just put the dang photo on the card you are already printing and mailing out.

DJB11

Reaction score
What is the new rule about being hit by a pitch in ASA?

At 16u ASA States last week, we had a player hit by a pitch and was not awarded the base because the ump says she did not try to get out of the way. PLEASE NOTE that she was well within the batter's box and DID NOT lean into the pitch.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
There isn't a new ASA rule regarding batters hit by pitches.

They have the same rule they've had for 75+ years. Batters are obligated to make some effort to avoid a pitched ball and may not allow themselves to purposely get hit. If they don't try to avoid the pitch, then they don't get awarded first base, no matter where the pitch is located.

longball00

Reaction score
What is the new rule about being hit by a pitch in ASA?

At 16u ASA States last week, we had a player hit by a pitch and was not awarded the base because the ump says she did not try to get out of the way. PLEASE NOTE that she was well within the batter's box and DID NOT lean into the pitch.

I believe that is a rule for NFHS and not ASA is I remember correctly.

DJB11

Reaction score
There isn't a new ASA rule regarding batters hit by pitches.

They have the same rule they've had for 75+ years. Batters are obligated to make some effort to avoid a pitched ball and may not allow themselves to purposely get hit. If they don't try to avoid the pitch, then they don't get awarded first base, no matter where the pitch is located.

Thank you. The ump (actually both umps) said it was a new rule in ASA.

Reaction score
I get that a batter in the on-deck circle on the "pull" side of the field may be hurt by a foul ball, because a ball hit that way is hit pretty sharply. However, I have seen many more foul balls...some of them pretty hard hit to the "open" side, mostly when slappers are at the plate as they really practice that bat lag and keep the barrel back.
So....why is it that some umps allow the choice and some don't?
There is no advantage to be gained (for timing the pitcher) and there is certainly a safety advantage to be gained.
So....why would the commissioners not err towards safety?