9u - First tryout question

Cincy Kid

Reaction score
Hi, my daughter will turn 9 in 2 weeks and has a few tryouts coming up this week and next. What should we expect drill wise for an 09 10u team? She has the talent to compete playing 2 years of kid pitch rec ball but my fear is her being nervous because of the unexpected. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
I will get to drill wise in a second, but please please please send her in a pair of softball pants, high softball socks, cleats and make sure she has a fielders mask, her own helmet, mit, and bat.

You should expect coaches to,
1. Quick meeting with the team for introductions, a quick schedule of what the players will be doing
2. Quick meeting with coach for parents for same with printed information with philosophy, how many they will be carrying, how many tourneys they will be playing, practice information, membership fee, travel and hotel stays, contact information, what to expect when a sub comes in, winter schedule, nationals information, coaches bio, playing other sports, other things
3. Closure to practice, securing the field cleanup and a short meeting from coaches telling what happens next, further tryouts, offers, when you will hear something

4. Drill wise
Running
- home to first stopwatch time
- home to home stopwatch time
- 2nd to home stopwatch time
Throwing/catching
- catches two hands
- short throw accuracy
- long throw accuracy
Infielding ball may be rolled or ball hit from bat to player at 3rd, SS, 2nd
-approach
-does she charge slow hit balls
-glove side movement
-backhands
-quick release
Outfielding ball may be thrown or ball hit from bat to player
- drop steps and throws left, right, and over the head
- ball hit does player not shy away, gets underneath
- at 9, it's more about tracking and doing the correct skills rather than actually catching the ball
- ground balls hit from a distance, moving toward ball
Hitting
- tee work into a screen
- machine probably around 43 mph to 48 mph
- also a short toss may be used
- bunting will also be assessed
Pitching
- velocity and control will be measured 20-25 pitches will be looked at
Catching
- pop time may be measured, from the time ball pops the catchers mit to the time the ball pops the 2nd baseman mit/3rd baseman mit
- blocking or framing may be measured from a coach tossing it or actual pitcher pitching

Cincy Kid

Reaction score
Thank you for this information. I greatly appreciate it.