A mere symptom of what's wrong with travel softball

Reaction score
This was included in a post today by a coach seeking players: "If you're not happy with your current situation or it's not the right fit for you, give us a try." A coach actually advocating that a player quit her team, at this late date, to join his team. I'm not interested in arguing about this with anyone. It is flat-out wrong on so many levels.

Xrayaries

Reaction score
You may not want to argue about it. You can't know every player or situation that is happening outside of your team. There are many reasons why a player needs to look for a new team. If they need to move on and this coach is willing to provide a new home where they may fit better what harm is it really.

Two players absolutely hate each other.

To many players in her primary position.

Just don't like the coach.

HS coach wants you to pitch needs you to get mound time in the summer. This happened to my DD 4 years ago. She was 3B on her travel team had to leave to get mound time.

I can think of many more. Especially with new player coming into a new team and situations. Girls aren't quick to accept the outsider especially in the 10-14 age groups.

Just my 2 cents. I'm not here to argue.

Reaction score
It is wrong to quit a team -- at this stage -- nine months after the team likely began its 2020-21 season. It is even more wrong for a coach to post, practically inviting a player to do so. All your rationale above would be reasons to leave the team AFTER the season.

Rerun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing I will add to this discussion is this. I’m aware of one program that was planning on dumping 50% of its players in favor of bringing a new coach from another organization and 50% of his players. All the players stuck it out through the season because they loved playing for this organization and at tryouts it was clear changes were coming. The Coach told them after the tryout they were no longer needed and shipped them down the pike. I believe if you want to leave a team that’s the best time to leave and not waste another minute. Get out of dodge because teams and organizations don’t have a problem sending you down the road.

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing I will add to this discussion is this. I’m aware of one program that was planning on dumping 50% of its players in favor of bringing a new coach from another organization and 50% of his players. All the players stuck it out through the season because they loved playing for this organization and at tryouts it was clear changes were coming. The Coach told them after the tryout they were no longer needed and shipped them down the pike. I believe if you want to leave a team that’s the best time to leave and not waste another minute. Get out of dodge because teams and organizations don’t have a problem sending you down the road.
I agree. Anybody who's been in TB long enough has seen similar situations. Commitment goes both ways and if a coach or organization has no commitment to a player, whether it's to develop them in their primary position such as being a pitcher, then I feel there shouldn't be commitment by a player or family as well. After all, there's only so much time before a pitcher has to perform at a high level whether it's for a HS team or even at the college level. Either way, they need as much circle time as they can get and wasting an entire season not getting any is detrimental to their development. Then again, that's also on the player and family for not choosing a team that she could get some time in the circle unless the coach reneged on his original commitment to giving her some when offered the position at tryouts.

Families nowadays have to look after their own first and foremost because as TB has grown into more of a money grab than anything else, more teams and organizations are looking to win so they can tout their record. How many times have we seen a player replaced mid-season by a better player so they can help them win more games? Turnabout is fair play IMO. If I as a coach do not honor my word, do not continue to develop my players, give them ample playing time, etc, I should fully expect them to leave at any time.

With that said, I agree that a coach shouldn't have worded the post that way. Simply posting 'Looking for a few to finish out a quality roster' or some such would have just as easily sufficed,

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On a different but similar topic, what about the coaches and teams already announcing in May, basically right before the main part of the season - that they are already moving to another organization???
What kind of example is that setting? It's one thing doing it in July, but in May, it's a bit of a slap in the face.
The sad and hated part of softball - in the end, everyone is basically only looking out for #1!

I talk to a parent and rumors fly that I'm trying to get their kid, when never even discussed!
Yet I have seen Coaches that I thought a lot of trying to poach players from other teams and coaches that I thought they liked and respected. That sure does show respect...LMAO

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
even worse... a parent with parent goggles on gets pissed because their kid isnt starting so they leave the team. Not only leave the team but then go to various tourneys over the next few weeks to bad mouth the ORG. Facts are that his kid wasn't good enough to be the starting position or one of the top 3 or 4 in the batting line up, so now he wants to start his own ELITE team and goes about trying to poach players from other orgs at tourneys... again talking trash at the same time about the org, the org president and coaches he just left because he thought she should be playing more and hitting in the top of the line up. BUT in reality the kid wasn't playing at that level as all other players on the team. Remember its not all about just your kid. Its a team sport, a team atmosphere, teams win and lose together as 1 TEAM. Parents please take off your mommy and daddy goggles. If you leave an org... keep your opinions to yourself because if you haven't realized it yet... fastpitch is a very small world and word travels fast and furious!!

snoman76

Reaction score
You may not want to argue about it. You can't know every player or situation that is happening outside of your team. There are many reasons why a player needs to look for a new team. If they need to move on and this coach is willing to provide a new home where they may fit better what harm is it really.

Two players absolutely hate each other.

To many players in her primary position.

Just don't like the coach.

HS coach wants you to pitch needs you to get mound time in the summer. This happened to my DD 4 years ago. She was 3B on her travel team had to leave to get mound time.

I can think of many more. Especially with new player coming into a new team and situations. Girls aren't quick to accept the outsider especially in the 10-14 age groups.

Just my 2 cents. I'm not here to argue.

IMO, none of those are good reasons to quit a team mid year. Physical/verbal abuse are just about the only reason to quit a team or straight up lied to about what you're getting for your player fee. Also if your coach was Billy07, no explanation is needed for that one...

I've coached plenty of girls that HATED someone else on the team but during practice/games they got along. As far as too many players in her primary position, that's on the parent or girl depending on age group. Do your homework before you commit or work harder so you're the best one for that position. Don't like the coach, again do your homework. I get there may be extenuating circumstances on that last one but whatever. A non pitcher on her TB team leaving to be a pitcher on what I can only assume is a lesser team to appease their HS coach? To each their own but there's no way in hell I would ever recommend that.

It's a 1 year deal both ways. Once a commitment is made, it most instances, it should be honored.

No disrespect to you on your opinions, I just see it differently.

Morgan Sky

Reaction score
My daughter quit her team last week. 100% her decision. Was the team the 'right fit'- Yes. Did she play almost 100% of innings-Yes. Did she bat in the 4 hole-Yes. Did she play on one of the top 12u teams in Ohio- Yes. Why did she quit? As these girls are maturing as young women, some things they just don't respond to anymore. She love her coaches and teammates?- Yes. But as these girls get older there comes a time when the decision has to be theirs, 100%. I might not agree with it 100%but have to support it 100%. She is the one on the field playing, and I'm not living through her successes and failures, I had my own 30 years ago. I just love to watch her play and do her thing on the field, win or lose. So in my eyes it's ok to quit at anytime, they can't play tight and scared.

Stedman00

Reaction score
My daughter quit her team last week. 100% her decision. Was the team the 'right fit'- Yes. Did she play almost 100% of innings-Yes. Did she bat in the 4 hole-Yes. Did she play on one of the top 12u teams in Ohio- Yes. Why did she quit? As these girls are maturing as young women, some things they just don't respond to anymore. She love her coaches and teammates?- Yes. But as these girls get older there comes a time when the decision has to be theirs, 100%. I might not agree with it 100%but have to support it 100%. She is the one on the field playing, and I'm not living through her successes and failures, I had my own 30 years ago. I just love to watch her play and do her thing on the field, win or lose. So in my eyes it's ok to quit at anytime, they can't play tight and scared.

I hope you support her as well when coach cuts her for no legit reason if she's luck to get on another team Or no team picks her up cause the drama or departure turmoil just not worth it.

snoman76

Reaction score

Quitting on team "because she doesn't want to play anymore" is bullshit. See your commitment through.

Rerun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
She's playing on a different team already...

I agree with supporting them and not pushing them to play but that's not the case here.

I’ve seen that happen a lot, girl decided to quit playing and after a few week or little longer they really miss the game and come back and play. I’m just not going to take the side of being loyal to a team. So much bull crap goes on between Coaches and organizations leader. The whole loyalty thing went out the doors years ago. And it not because of the players or parents. It due to big organizations and coaches poaching whole teams and players. They don’t even understand what the word loyal means anymore. But yet these same Coaches and organizations are preaching all about being loyal once they made all their back room deals.

snoman76

Reaction score
I’ve seen that happen a lot, girl decided to quit playing and after a few week or little longer they really miss the game and come back and play. I’m just not going to take the side of being loyal to a team. So much bull crap goes on between Coaches and organizations leader. The whole loyalty thing went out the doors years ago. And it not because of the players or parents. It due to big organizations and coaches poaching whole teams and players. They don’t even understand what the word loyal means anymore. But yet these same Coaches and organizations are preaching all about being loyal once they made all their back room deals.

"Loyalty" only has to last for 1 year on both sides.

Morgan Sky

Reaction score
God gave us one thing. The free will to make a choice. That applies to everything in life, including travel ball. It Is What It Is.

Last edited:

Tallmadge Force Gold

Reaction score
I think loyalty is dying in the sport of softball all around. That is the reason that Athletes Unlimited used a structure of meaningless games and silly points for individuals. Things are just different today. It would be great to return to the good old days when softball was a pastime and the top players were just as good as the year round players today. Everyone is looking for their "spot" and if things aren't quite right, they go searching again. Coaches are always on the lookout too.

Even this site is a disappointment. I would love to come to this site and read about the results of games, tournaments, and players that are doing well. Instead, it is mostly about facilitating these player/team movements.

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think loyalty is dying in the sport of softball all around. That is the reason that Athletes Unlimited used a structure of meaningless games and silly points for individuals. Things are just different today. It would be great to return to the good old days when softball was a pastime and the top players were just as good as the year round players today. Everyone is looking for their "spot" and if things aren't quite right, they go searching again. Coaches are always on the lookout too.

Even this site is a disappointment. I would love to come to this site and read about the results of games, tournaments, and players that are doing well. Instead, it is mostly about facilitating these player/team movements.

Tallmadge, youve been around forever, do you have any recommendations as to how to improve the site?

snoman76

Reaction score

I think loyalty was just as bad 10 years ago, there just wasn't as many teams/people doing it. You can agree or disagree but once the Outlaws blew up into this mega Org. is when the shit really hit the fan. They were ruthless when it came to getting players or entire teams. The unfortunate thing is that several others have adapted this style and it's almost become second nature anymore when players leave mid year or a team switches Orgs.

Rerun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tallmadge, youve been around forever, do you have any recommendations as to how to improve the site?

I’m sure the admin would be more then happy to make it better for everyone.