A parent's "cheat sheet" on NCAA rules

Strohbro

Reaction score
From Student Sports Softball:

The tough part of being a recruit and her family is you usually only go through the process once so there's a lot to learn and a steep learning curve!
One mother (who has asked to remain anonymous) has learned a lot as her daughter was being recruited and ultimately signed with a Top 25 university.
Today, she often speaks to younger players and teams about NCAA rules and what is important to know as a prospect and family.
She says, ?I often get the same common questions from recruits? parents about NCAA rules and thought it would be helpful to answer the ones most frequently asked. The rules change often so be sure to verify these with a university?s compliance officer as you do get recruited or check with the NCAA directly to get the official answer.?
Also, note that there may be variations in rules between levels (Div. I, II, II, NAIA, etc.) so be sure to research if you have any other questions! Note that she is not an official
Here are some of the questions she frequently receives and what she tells the prospects and their families?

When can schools contact you?
In writing, September 1 of your junior year; by phone, July 1 of your senior year.

When can I call a college coach?
You can call a school at anytime. However, the coach may not return your call. Tip: in your message to the coach, give a date and time you will call back and be persistence and follow through with the repeat call.

What?s the difference between an Unofficial versus an Official Visit?
An Unofficial Visit is a campus visit with all expenses paid for by the recruit. As an example, don?t be surprised if you are taken to a tailgate area and asked to pay $10 or $20 to attend the tailgate. The coach must split the expenses of the tailgate by all attendees and ask you to pay your pro-rated family portion.

What is a ?verbal? and does this take me off the market?
In softball, there is a coaches? ?gentlemen?s agreement? to not contact recruits already verballed. Some coaches do, however, ignore this unwritten rule. There is no NCAA rule that says once a recruit commits that others coaches cannot contact her so technically you are still ?on the market.?

Is a verbal binding? Can a coach put my offer in writing before Signing Day?
A coach may not give you a written offer. They may outline the offer and out of pockets expenses but they cannot give you a formal written offer until Signing Day (which is the second week of November in your senior year).

What if I do not sign during the early signing period?
If you don?t sign in that November early period, you must wait until the Spring signing period.

If you navigate the recruiting waters well, you may end up with a smile as big as the one shown here by Erika Leonard who signed with the Univ. of Maine.
If you navigate the recruiting waters well, you may end up with a smile as big as the one shown here by Erika Leonard who signed with the Univ. of Maine.
Is texting in recruiting ever legal? If so, when?
Like phone calls, a prospect can reach out to a coach via texting, but the same contact rules apply from coach to recruit. New technology like texting and tweeting has been debated and discussed and the rules aren?t always clear?in basketball, texting by coaches has been allowed in certain circumstances but the other sports are still waiting on clarification.

What risks are there to the athlete if a coach violates a rule?
It depends on the intent and severity of the violation. In worse cases, the school can no longer recruit the athlete. If it?s a minor violation it can results in a small penalty. For instance, one school accidentally butt-dialed a player and the coach self-reported the contact to the NCAA after we called them and let them know. The consequence was that once the full-contact period began, the school had to wait a week to call her!

When and what is full contact?
The key dates is July 1 after a player?s junior year, which is when a coach can contact a prospect off the school?s campus and also begin making one phone call per week. The previous Sept. 1 (early in the junior year) a coach can send info such as media guides, brochures, hand-written letters and so on, but it?s in the summer before the senior year when contacts can be made in-person and by phone.

If we see a coach at a tournament or showcase, can we talk to them?
Parents often do not know they can NOT talk to coaches at events?it puts the coach in a compromised position! I always remind them of this. One parent can be a designated brochure giver, but his or her name should be on the brochure as the ?team manager? and they should not talk about his/her own kid. I recommend this parent as being the one that tells a program that a player has verballed to a school and is off the market.

Is a Letter of Intent a binding contract?
Technically yes, but you may appeal to be released which is what some have done. A school can release you with no restrictions, release with restrictions (often can?t play in same conference without sitting out a year), or refuse to release the athlete.

I?ve heard LOI?s are written for one year only. What happens if my athlete does not perform well or gets hurt?
Actually, a hidden fact is that LOIs may be written for four years. Most schools only write them a year at a time to not lock in the money. Most coaches honor the offer for four years verbally. But beware, if coaches need money for a transfer or a stud recruit they may alter a current player?s percentages. Tip: ask for four years on your LOI; all they can say is ?no!?
- See more at: http://www.studentsports.com/softba...eat-sheet-ncaa-rules-88/#sthash.F7E7CdGu.dpuf

mike_dyer

Reaction score
Re: A parent?s ?cheat sheet? on NCAA rules

When can schools contact you?
In writing, September 1 of your junior year; by phone, July 1 of your senior year.

Be careful posting things like this. I think around 10 or 12 of my thumbs down were from talking about this sort of thing. Not that I care. Give me more.

However, and you'll find this out quick, it's a well known fact that there are plenty of 12 year old kids out there who have full scholarships. Ask almost anyone who posts here.

JoeA1010

Reaction score

Some of the information from Student Sports Softball in the top post is out of date. For example, Division III coaches can contact a recruit almost any time. Div. II can contact them beginning June 15 after a girl's sophomore year.

And the Official and Unofficial Visit information is not a very good summary for a cheat sheet. A school can pay for transportation and lodging for a recruit on an Official Visit, but paying for transportation is going to be uncommon at Div. II and III and maybe even many Div. I schools. Recruits can spend the night in a dorm on an Official Visit. At Div. II, recruits can practice or work out with the team for one two-hour period on an Official Visit, but this isn't permitted in Div. I and III. There are many specific rules on meals, entertainment and other things for Official Visits, but it quickly devolves into minutiae and not fit for a thick rulebook, let alone a Cheat Sheet.

SoCal_Dad

Reaction score

I think the cheat sheet is geared towards D-I and SSS acknowledged that up front by saying the rules vary by division. The info that is out of date is when D-I call phone - it just moved up to Sept 1 at start of junior year.

13.1.3.1 Time Period for Telephone Calls?General Rule. Telephone calls to an individual (or his or her relatives or legal guardians) may not be made before September 1 at the beginning of his or her junior year in high school (subject to the exceptions below). ...

Here is a better "cheat sheet" that covers all the divisions - NCAA Recruiting Overview Chart 2014-15

Strohbro

Reaction score

JoeA, .
maybe we could get a cheat sheet for D1, D2, D3 and NAIA. Any ideas where to find it?

mike_dyer

Reaction score

Just hit up a coach at the next 8u college showcase you go to. They swarm to those things. ;)

JoeA1010

Reaction score

Stroh: That one posted by SoCalDad is pretty good.

I think the main things to know at each level are the dates for contact, what type of contact is permitted and some basic rules for Official and Unofficial Visits. There are a zillion other rules, but those are the ones that we all deal with all the time.

Not that anyone with any power cares, but if it were up to me I would eliminate all of the rules about contact and visits.

ApogeeDemon

In the Penalty Box
Reaction score

Is Pat Murphy doing recruiting trips to elementary schools? I guess you gotta find talent in gym class now!

fastpitchdad

Reaction score

SoCal_Dad

Reaction score

NCAA has a basic primer for College Bound Athletes.. It has a table towards the end that is basically same as SoCal Dad Link (which is strong) but for the first timers.. the brochure also has definitions...
I originally looked for that because I've recommended it before, but didn't see a free copy of the latest edition was available for download. Here's a direct link to the free copy - 2014-15 Guide for the
College-Bound Student-Athlete

Softball Addict

Reaction score

I originally looked for that because I've recommended it before, but didn't see a free copy of the latest edition was available for download. Here's a direct link to the free copy - 2014-15 Guide for the
College-Bound Student-Athlete

thanks for the info :eek: I have an older daughter that played Div. 11 in college, and we were late, and didn't do alot of things right in the recruiting process. We took her to the Kent State Showcase her senior year and she got 14 colleges emailing me within 2 days, and then she made her decision. Now my youngest daughter we are trying to do the right things in recruiting. She wants to play at the Div. 1 level.

wvanalmsick

Reaction score
NCAA Division I Softball Recruiting Rules

From Recruitlook.com I am not endorsing the website, I just thought that these tables would be helpful.

NCAA Division I Softball Recruiting Rules

As a Sophomore in high school

Recruiting TacticAs a Sophomore
Recruiting MaterialYou may receive brochures for camps and questionnaires.
Telephone CallsYou can call the coach at your own expense.
Coach cannot call you.
Off-Campus ContactNot Permitted
Official VisitsNot Permitted
Unofficial VisitsUnlimited
As a Junior in high school

Recruiting TacticAs a Junior
Recruiting MaterialYou can begin to receive recruiting material and information from the coach on September 1st.
You can receive one per week starting September 1st of your Junior year.
Telephone calls are unlimited during contact periods.
Off-Campus ContactAllowed July 1st after your Junior year.
As a Senior in high school

Recruiting TacticAs a Senior
Recruiting MaterialYou can receive material and information from the coach
Coach can call you once per week starting September 1st.
Telephone calls are unlimited during contact periods.
Off-Campus ContactAllowed but no more than 3 times.
Official VisitsYou can start official visits on the opening day of your classes.
You get one per college and a maximum of 5 visits to D1 schools, and unlimited for D2, D3 and NAIA schools.
Unofficial visitsUnlimited

Other important information

• College coaches have 50 days in which to evaluate you. They cannot exceed that number.
  • College coaches can evaluate and/or contact you no more than 7 times during your senior year.
  • During your senior year a college coach cannot contact you more than 3 times.
  • In those states that play high school softball season in the fall, evaluations shall be permissible during those seasons, except during dead periods.

Last edited:

wvanalmsick

Reaction score
NCAA Division II Softball Recruiting Rules

From Recruitlook.com I am not endorsing the website, I just thought that these tables would be helpful.

NCAA Division II Softball Recruiting Rules

As a Sophomore in high school

Recruiting TacticAs a Sophomore
After June 15th coaches can call, text, and email you unlimited.
Off-Campus ContactAfter June 15 of your Sophomore year, these contacts are unlimited.
As a Junior in high school

Recruiting MaterialYou can begin to receive recruiting material and information from the coach.
College coach can call, text, and email you unlimited.
Off-Campus ContactUnlimited

College coach can call, text, and email you unlimited.
Off-Campus ContactUnlimited
Official VisitsYou can start official visits on the opening day of your classes.
You get one per college and a maximum of 5 visits to D1, and unlimited visits to D2, D3 and NAIA schools.

• Division 2 does not have any rules on the number of evaluations per student athletes.
  • College coaches cannot contact you on competition or practice days until your event is finished, and you are dismissed by the proper authority (like your high school coach or athletic director).
  • During a contact period college coaches can make only one visit per week to your high school.

Last edited:

wvanalmsick

Reaction score
NCAA Division III Recruiting Rules

NCAA Division III Recruiting Rules

As a Sophomore and Freshman in high school

Recruiting TacticAs a Sophomore and Freshman
You can receive recruiting information and material from college coaches.
College coach can call you an unlimited number of times.
Off-Campus ContactNot Permitted
As a Junior in High School

Recruiting MaterialYou can receive recruiting material and information from the coach.
College coach can call you an unlimited number of times.
Off-Campus ContactAllowed after your Junior year.

College coaches can call you an unlimited number of times.
Off-Campus ContactAllowed
You get one per college.

• Division III does not have any rules on the number of evaluations/contacts per student-athlete.
  • College coaches cannot contact you on competition or practice days until your event is finished, and you are dismissed by the proper authority (like your high school coach or athletic director).
  • During a contact period college coaches can make only one visit per week to your high school.
  • A college coach can evaluate a potential recruit at all-star games throughout the year. There are no limitations for the college coach except that the game has to occur within the state that their university is located.

Last edited:

wvanalmsick

Reaction score
Current NCAA Div I and II Recruiting Calendars

The current NCAA Division I Softball recruiting calendar runs August 1st, 2014 through July 31st, 2015.

08-01-14 thru 11-26-14Contact Period *with the following exception (i)
(i) 11-10-14 thru 11-13-14Dead Period
11-27-14 thru 01-01-15Quiet Period *with the following exception (i)
(i) 12-03-14 thru 12-07-14Dead Period
01-02-15 thru 07-31-15Contact Period *with the following exceptions (i) and (ii)
(i) 04-13-15 thru 04-16-15Dead Period
(ii) 05-26-15 thru 06-03-15 (noon)Dead Period
Evaluation PeriodDuring high school regional and state championships competition that does not occur during a dead period.

The current NCAA Division II Softball recruiting calendar runs June 1st, 2014 through May 31st, 2015.
The following dates are the dead periods and a list of the recruiting tactics that are allowed. There is no recruiting calendar outside of the established dead periods.
11-10-14 thru 11-12-14Dead Period
04-13-15 thru 04-15-15Dead Period

Last edited:

wvanalmsick

Reaction score
NCAA Recruiting Terms

NCAA Recruiting Terms

Before you start the recruiting process it?s a good idea to review some of the recruiting terminology.
As you start getting information from colleges you will need to know why coaches can and cannot do certain things. The NCAA has rules in place that limit a college recruiter?s exposure to high school athletes. Knowing what these terms mean will help you understand recruiting process. For more information visit the NCAA.

Contact

A contact is classified as a face-to-face encounter between a college coach and the student athlete (or their legal guardians or relatives) where more than a greeting occurs. Anything beyond a hello is considered a contact. Another form of contact occurs when a college coach has any contact with you or your legal guardians at your high school, or any other location where you are competing or practicing.

Contact Period

College coaches are allowed to have in-person contact with you or your legal guardians. This period means coaches can watch you compete anywhere, and the coach can write and make telephone calls.

Dead Period

The college coach cannot make in-person contact with you or your legal guardians. This prevents the coach from making any evaluations of you whatsoever. However, the coach can make telephone calls to you or your legal guardians.

Evaluation

This is the process where a coach watches you compete in a game or practice, and makes note on your athletic abilities.

Evaluation Period

It is permissible for the college coach to evaluate your playing abilities at your high school or any other place where you are competing. During this period the coach cannot have off campus in-person contact with you or your legal guardians. The coach can still make telephone calls to you or your legal guardians, and you are allowed to make campus visits during this period.

Official Visit

Any visit to a college that is paid for by that university. You and/or your legal guardians will have your transportation to and from the college paid for. Also paid for by the college will be your room, meals (three per day), and entertainment expenses. Generally you will receive three free passes to that college?s home game the weekend you are in town.

Quiet Period

During this time a college coach cannot watch you compete at any location. It is allowed for the college coach to make in-person contact with you or your legal guardians if it occurs on the coach?s campus. The coach can still make telephone calls to you or your legal guardians, and you can make visits to college campuses during this time.

Telephone Call

An electronically transmitted voice exchange is considered a phone call. That includes videoconferencing and videophones. Emails and faxes are not considered a phone call.

Unofficial Visit

Anytime you or your legal guardians visit a college campus that is funded by you. You can take as many unofficial visits as you would like. During dead periods you cannot speak to any of the coaches while visiting the campus. Three free tickets to a home game is the only thing a coach can give you during an unofficial visit.