Akron Racers History Thread 2009 - 2013

Hey Everyone,
Hitting, Pitching, Catching and All Star Classes Start next week. There are still spots open. Email me to hold your spot. Hope to see you there!

radaramchugh@gmail.com

My daughter (Diamond Chix 13u) attended a couple of Radara's pitching clinics held for the Chix at our facility in Medina. We picked up a few new drills and practiced them for only 2 weeks and her fastball increased 1.5mph!! Changing her hip and shoulder angle just a bit made a HUGE difference.

Thank you Radara!!

JD
Diamond Chix

From Beacon Journal wire services.

The Akron Racers announced Wednesday that SportsTime Ohio will televise five of their women's softball games and five shows featuring the Racers this season. The team also will produce the Mid-American Conference title game for STO. The five games (June 14 and 18, July 25 and Aug. 2 and 9) will be broadcasted on a tape-delayed basis.

SportsTimeOhio to broadcast five games & five ?Insider? Shows Racers to produce the 2009 MAC Championship Game on STO

Akron, OH - Akron Racers, President/General Manager, Joey Arrietta announced today that the Racers have reached an agreement with SportsTimeOhio to broadcast five of their 2009 regular season games. The Racers will also be creating five half-hour ?Insider? television shows featuring the Racers, training tips and also focusing on the emerging amateur game. Additionally, the Racers will produce the 2009 MAC Championship on STO. ?This partnership with STO is a perfect fit for the Racers. I am particularly excited about developing our own magazine-type ?Insider? show to broaden our reach and to allow us to profile our players and our game for the STO audience,? commented Arrietta.

Four of the games will be tape delayed for broadcast on Sunday afternoon immediately following the Cleveland Indians at 4:30pm. Those broadcast dates are June 14, June 28, August 2 and August 9. The July 26th broadcast will air at 12:30pm prior to the Indians game from Seattle. ?I welcome the opportunity to broadcast our games in concert with the Cleveland Indians telecasts. I am confident that if the viewers stay tuned to our games they too will become fans of our game and in particular, the Racers,? noted Arrietta.

The Racers ?Insider? Show will air immediately following ?Tribe Report? on Monday nights at 6:30pm. ?We couldn?t have asked for a better time slot. This clearly gives us a chance to promote our team and our game,? said Arrietta. The air dates for the ?Insider? Shows are June 8, June 22, July 6, July 20 and August 10.

Arrietta brought the Mid-American Conference Championships to Firestone Stadium in 2002. Since then, Firestone Stadium has been the site of the conference finale five times in the past seven years. ?I have been talking to the coaches and league officials for several years about televising the championship game. We were finally able to obtain the rights to the broadcast and I am extremely excited to broadcast the MAC title game,? replied Arrietta.

?We are excited for the opportunity to partner with Sports Time Ohio, one made possible by the commitment to and support for MAC Softball displayed by Joey Arrietta and the Akron Racers. This provides a terrific chance to bring the Mid-American Conference Softball Championship into thousands of homes throughout Ohio and give people a chance to see our elite student-athletes in action,? noted Jeff Bacon, MAC Assistant Commissioner.

The Racers kick off the 2009 season on the road June 3-7 against the Rockford Thunder. The Thunder will travel to Akron for the Racers opening weekend, June 10-14. The Racers welcome the return of Two-Time Olympic Gold Medalist, Crystl Bustos and All-NPF selections, Angela Tincher (pitcher) and Kristen Butler (catcher). The Racers return to action at Firestone Stadium for a six-game home stand against Katie Burkhart and the Philadelphia Force beginning June 23. Jenny Finch and the defending NPF Champions, the Chicago Bandits, visit Akron July 22-26 followed by Taryne Mowatt and the Washington Glory, July 29-August 2. The Akron Racers will host the 2009 NPF Championships, August 19-23. Call 330.376.8188 for tickets to all Firestone Stadium events.

It's a good start. Hopefully there will be good ratings so that STO decides to expand coverage in 2010.

This is great news, and hopefully the start of something that will grow. We went to our first Racers game last August after getting the tickets from a Racers clinic and our dd, her buddy and my wife and I had a blast at the game. Great athletes playing a great game in a classic ballpark. We're going back this summer for more, and I'm going to try and take our community league team this time. Thanks Joey, for all your hard work and your undying faith in the sport.

Does anyone know if the Racers or NPF has any type of youth uniform program?

Our rec organization uses a very affordable MLB replica hat and shirt for our basesball teams.

It would be nice to outfit the softball teams in NPF team visors and shirts.

Any ideas?

Yes we do. I will send you the contact information for majestic.

The Akron Racers will host Ohio Fastpitch Connection Day on Wednesday, June 24. For this event, we will feature our Diamond Deals as well as give players from your organization the opportunity to complete the Diamond during our pre-game ceremonies. This will also give the first 24 players to register the chance to participate as bat kids during the game with both the Akron Racers and the visiting Philadelphia Force.

Currently we offer three different Diamond deals. They are as follows:

Dogs N Suds:$8.00
John Morrell Hot Dog
Dan Dee Chips
12oz Pepsi Beverage
$7 Stadium or Terrace Game Ticket

Pizza N Pop:$10.00
6" Gionino?s Pizza
12oz Pepsi Beverage

Chicken N Chips: $10.00
Chick-fil-A Sandwich
Dan Dee Chips
12oz Pepsi Beverage

Note: Diamond deals must be ordered by Saturday, June 20, by 5pm. Please contact Stacy Corp at (330) 376-8188 to order your packages and register for OFC Day.

Sounds like a good deal. Cheaper then our tournaments at Rivershore. Is Akron still in Ohio? Just Kidding.

So is anyone planning on going up for OFC - Day. I'm going to take the day off work if some people are planning to attend. Post a reply if you plan on attending I'll see if anyone else is going to attend.

God Bless
Ricky Moorehead

My Rec. team is going to be there, Ellet Cardinals 12u. Looking forward to meeting some of you!

I had the Racer section collapsed and didn't see this thread. I will try to go. Are tickets still general admission?

Had a chance to see the program on the Racers last night on STO. The segment on hitting with Crystl Bustos was great. DD and I stayed up and watched it together.

What an opportunity to see the greatest softball players up close:yahoo: Hope we pack the stadium. See you all there!