another courtesy runner

jeremiah_250

Reaction score
I had a quick question on the rules regarding the use of a courtesy runner for the pitcher and or a catcher that isn't actively pitching or catching during the game. I have seen coaches who ask for a courtesy runner for their pitcher or catcher that is playing a different position during the current game. Most often it is granted which has me scratching my head sometimes to think that you can get a courtesy runner for up to half your team.

snoman76

Reaction score
Should not be allowed. That's the job of the scorekeeper to make sure that the sub or last out (whatever rule set being used) and that the girl on base is the CURRENT pitcher or catcher.

wvanalmsick

Reaction score
What age group? What type of tournament (was a berth to a Nation Tournament at stake)?

Just my take but if there is no berth at stake, then what does it matter? Especially at the younger age groups.

Comp

Reaction score
Pitcher and catcher are those players who last played the position. In the top of the first inning, they are the players listed on the lineup card as being the pitcher and catcher. If they were not the last players to have physically played the position, they are not entitled to a courtesy runner.