Are Injuries up this year??? Reasons why? Bad luck?

Rocket8

Reaction score
We have been unfortunate to be hit with a rash of injuries this season. Broken ankle, fingers, arm (to the growth plate) which when did every break involve a growth plate? Broke quite of few bones growing up and Dr never mentioned a growth plate to me. May be why I am 5' 7".

Then this weekend we had another player go down with what appeared to be a very serious knee injury at Queen City showdown. Appears no ligament damage but MRI scheduled so fingers are crossed..

Seems like injuries are up this year any thoughts on a reason why?

Four girls down at the moment - but no quit in our ladies. And I would like to give a big thank you to those that have subbed and filled in for us!!!!

Rodney Hoffman
Mason Thunder 00

Softballdad48

Reaction score
I would agree that the number of injuries sure seems alot higher this year. I haven't talked to one coach over the last two weeks that hasn't been affected by some type of injury. So many teams down to 9 players right now, its crazy.

Reaction score
The girls have to condition on their own, point blank. Lack of conditioning leads to injuries.

steelerpride

Reaction score
These girls play more games in one year than most of us did in our entire career growing up.

Westler33

Reaction score
They also play all year around and not just in the summer like back in the day so their body's never get the rest like us old people did. lol

steelerpride

Reaction score
Agreed...my oldest always has an ailment of some sort...the worst part is I always say you are 14 how can you always have something bothering you... Of course at the same time I'm constantly making her stretch, ice, and put muscle rub on.

bucketime

Reaction score
Our Team has two injuries which is huge to us; My DD being one of them who pitches well and can hit nice too, and who knows after six weeks they may say come back in two. Basically she over used her knee (torn Patella??) but no surgery required. She also goes off to play college softball in August and at this time that is most important to get her healthy. As a coach it just sucks to try to find someone every week, I have a pitcher committed to us after the fourth but until then...Also after 10 years of coaching travel ball and my DD last year in this (most likely) it would have been awesome to have that last year with her , to coach, and to watch her play. As a team we went to a ...I feel super confidante as a team to....barely have a team...ggggrrrr

freddieball

Reaction score
I think some of it is due to these girls are more aggressive than the past. Don't take it the wrong way. There has always been aggressive girls, but the overall sports competitiveness have these girls working harder than ever to be seen as the best and the overall group is stronger, faster, and more aggressive than say 10 years ago.

Fairman

Reaction score
I suspect that the injuries to the ankles and knees has a lot to do with putting high school kids (as young as 14) in metal spikes. The old cleats slipped and didn't put all the impact into the ankles/knees. It would be interesting to compare the stats if lower body injuries before and after metal spikes where allowed in high school/travel ball.

I also put a lot of blame on 12 month training regimens of all sports which is very hard on our girls. Give 'em a brake.

(There is another thread asking about an 'Ideal Coach' How about one that doesn't hurt his players...that they get stronger and avoid injury..certainly a critical attribute of an 'Ideal Coach')

ThompsonUSSSA

Reaction score
Seeing the injury bug big time with our group also... 3 Pitchers out hurt (1 is trying to play limited duty as position player), another position player with hurt arm...

Started out season 'blessed' with Pitching depth, truely had 4 felt could get the job done.
Now we are playing the "Pickup player" search just to get us out on the field on the weekend - - VS - - the dreaded dropping out. (Do not want to do that!!!)

We gave some break in late fall/winter, don't go overboard with practices etc...
but in todays world with so many "options" of things to do, they will go play something else given the time.

I'm also a firm believer in good stretching regimen off season and when playing, and we condition and run for fitness (wall sits etc to help core training also in winter).

Sometimes, you just get hit with the injury bug...!! SUCKS! :mad:

Fastball19

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This is the farthest into a season my daughter has gotten without injury to her drive foot! She stretches it much more this season 2 tournaments left!

Heavy Hitter

Reaction score
I also put a lot of blame on 12 month training regimens of all sports which is very hard on our girls. Give 'em a brake.

To me this is a big issue for girls and boys. They need a break even if it is playing another sport for a couple of months. Personally I am happy my girls play volleyball it give them a break from the long grind of the softball season both mentally and physically. It gives them a chance to unwind ,still stay active and play another sport they really enjoy. An added plus is when they play another sport they are also working other muscle groups then what they primarily use in softball.

LADY lOOKOUTS

Reaction score
Training for athletes should be sport specific. Movements used in basketball, as an example, are not the same movements used in softball ext. Softball athletes should be stretching properly, light weights or kettlebells and working on mobility routines. A lot of speed and agility programs only get your
DDs tired, sweating and fatigued. Parents need to research programs and make sure they are sport specific. Lots of hips and leg power for hitting, pitching and quick movements left and right. Strong quads and hamstrings breed healthy ankles and knees. Thera bands, kettlebells, yoga, core and proper breathing techniques are essential. Its all about keeping mind body and movements on the same page. This can be achieved in proper training routines.

DW@SBC

Reaction score
We have been unfortunate to be hit with a rash of injuries this season. Broken ankle, fingers, arm (to the growth plate) which when did every break involve a growth plate? Broke quite of few bones growing up and Dr never mentioned a growth plate to me. May be why I am 5' 7".

Then this weekend we had another player go down with what appeared to be a very serious knee injury at Queen City showdown. Appears no ligament damage but MRI scheduled so fingers are crossed..

Seems like injuries are up this year any thoughts on a reason why?

Four girls down at the moment - but no quit in our ladies. And I would like to give a big thank you to those that have subbed and filled in for us!!!!

Rodney Hoffman
Mason Thunder 00

I think there are massive differences in the level of play between tournament teams. No lower level tournament team wants to play the top teams and get beat 10-0 and no hit. And no higher level tournament team wants to beat a lower level team 10-0 and never have to field a ball.

Get the teams separated into competitive divisions and might have less injuries as a side affect.

The other thing is obstruction. Umpires not recognizing and calling obstruction causes a lot of collisions. Even with the safety bag on bunts we had an opponent straddle first base and the first base safety bag 6 times in one game. Zero obstruction calls or even warnings and 6 collisions.

momdadmrg

Reaction score
You are correct when it comes to the metal cleats. My DD suffered a groin injury right around the time she switched over. It has been a pain in the butt to try and get it better.

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]Get the teams separated into competitive divisions and might have less injuries as a side affect..[/QUOTE]

- I agree - As a coach you look at tournaments that have the SAME level of teams as yours only to have two or three "Gold" teams with all January Birthdays swoop in to do treasure hunting.
[/QUOTE]The other thing is obstruction. Umpires not recognizing and calling obstruction causes a lot of collisions. Even with the safety bag on bunts we had an opponent straddle first base and the first base safety bag 6 times in one game. Zero obstruction calls or even warnings and 6 collisions [/QUOTE]

Had that happen just this weekend - with interference rather than obstruction our 1B was on her side of the safty bag with the ball and a girl ran straight in to her with intent - No Call
Our girl is fairly strong but just got back to pitching after a month long back injury - So I WAS NOT HAPPY