ASA 'B' Eastern Nationals - Marion

First2Third

Reaction score
I need help understanding what's going on here.

There are 18 teams in 12U and 11 teams in 10U for the ASA 'B' Eastern Nationals in Marion this week. There are no other age divisions. On TournamentASA it says the event will take place on 13 fields. The format is 2 pool play games seeded into a double elimination bracket (4gg). On the Sunday before the event starts (i.e. yesterday) the pool play schedule comes out and it contains Thursday morning games. WHAT??? Who on earth could anticipate that Thursday morning games (or even Thursday afternoon games) would be necessary given fields of 18 and 11 teams, and 13 available diamonds to play games on??? How can people get off work on such short notice (especially when they shouldn't have to)?

Plus, they haven't even published the empty bracket schedules, but one can only assume that the double elimination brackets will start first thing Friday morning. Why??? At this rate, and starting with so few teams, how many teams could even possibly be left going into Sunday?

This is absolute insanity. :mad: Can you imagine being eliminated from a 4gg tournament with 11 teams by noon on Friday?

Is it just being stretched out as a money grab to make people pay the $35 per person entry fee for the entire tournament (vs. the rate of $10/day)?

Can anyone explain or justify this?

I don't get it.

Last edited:

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The dates have been set for a long time - so if you were gonna take off work - I'd say you would have asked off those days a long time go, as you did not know the numbers at the time.

People have planned to attend, so possibly finishing early would save hotel costs - as most should have set up they could be leaving once eliminated with hotel. But probably too late to cut days off in the front end........

Gives plenty of rain-out opportunities - Imagine waiting & then not getting event in cause of rain on Sunday?????

I saw 3-4 teams travel 700-800 miles to play in the 18U Eastern "B" last year - that was crazy. Those teams could have played "A" with lots of teams, but chose to go all that way to play 2-3 other teams. I'm glad to see the TD's cancelled the other age groups if that low of numbers.

Hope you have a good time!

AcePitching

Reaction score
I need help understanding what's going on here.

There are 18 teams in 12U and 11 teams in 10U for the ASA 'B' Eastern Nationals in Marion this week. There are no other age divisions. On TournamentASA it says the event will take place on 13 fields. The format is 2 pool play games seeded into a double elimination bracket (4gg). On the Sunday before the event starts (i.e. yesterday) the pool play schedule comes out and it contains Thursday morning games. WHAT??? Who on earth could anticipate that Thursday morning games (or even Thursday afternoon games) would be necessary given fields of 18 and 11 teams, and 13 available diamonds to play games on??? How can people get off work on such short notice (especially when they shouldn't have to)?

Plus, they haven't even published the empty bracket schedules, but one can only assume that the double elimination brackets will start first thing Friday morning. Why??? At this rate, and starting with so few teams, how many teams could even possibly be left going into Sunday?

This is absolute insanity. :mad: Can you imagine being eliminated from a 4gg tournament with 11 teams by noon on Friday?

Is it just being stretched out as a money grab to make people pay the $35 per person entry fee for the entire tournament (vs. the rate of $10/day)?

Can anyone explain or justify this?

I don't get it.

Are you dropping out?

First2Third

Reaction score
Good news! They posted the bracket schedules on TournamentASA!

Bad news! They didn't indicate which seeds from which pools would play in which games, so it's still quite the guessing game.

It does show, though, that there are no loser's bracket games until Saturday, so no one will be eliminated on Friday.

moodydog

Reaction score
Why not just ask him to stop crying and whining if you think that is what he is doing. Either way the guy has a right to say what he wants without haveing the likes of you bothering him. oh you must be the TD of the tournament.

Reaction score
You should try being the coach navigating a team and parents. As the coach I am bringing half my team with me as to parents have to work. we are also coming and its been not the most pleasant experience so far for us either. I did know about the tournament being drug out which I feel to not necessary but so be it. I actually canceled all my hotel nights because of the schedule being what it is. it is easy for us as my parents will most likely not stick around to watch anything but what we are involved in so no money will be spent by my team. I was even asked if I would prefer the tournament pushed into Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I was all for it but that did not happen. We will see as I hope it is a great experience for my girls as that is why we do this. I know the issues I have had would definatly make me think twice about even bothering with the national tournament. As far as the schedule is concerned the registration timeline was extended which delayed things. so much for "no exceptions" Bracket play schedule not being finalized is just poor on the efforts of the TD. We will see.

poden-smoden

Reaction score
This thread is funny!!!

Would love to start any "nationals" on a Thursday!!

The rest of us have to check in on the Sunday prior and play one game a day!!

Last edited:

jdcii

Reaction score
Ok dumb moron

This made me chuckle, I've never come across a smart moron. My father in law's name is Ron and he is always telling me the women are screaming at him all the time "More Ron". At least, that is his interpretation of it.

marion_ump

Reaction score
i am the tournament director for this tournament. ASA sets all the rules for this tournament. Nationals are alway a 4 day event. with thursday being pool play friday starts bracket play and no teams can go home before saturday. i only follow the rules that im giving. dont make them