ASA Rule Changes

spysoftball.com has posted a list of the rule changes adopted for the 2006 season. Among them
Gold pitching distance will change to 43'.
National championship will return to a 2 pool play, followed by double elimination format.
An updated definition of the flex, player, designated player, and double base usage.

Has anyone heard that ASA umpire fees are going from $26 a game to $30 a game?

Just spoke with ASA. Fees have indeed gone up for umpires, 15% to $30 a game. This puts tournaments at a pretty big deficit, since we couldn't even plan for these changes. Other TD opinions would be nice. GAPSS is not happy with this "late in the game" change.

Maybe GAPSS could use all the money saved on umpires last year for this years fees.

Obviously Purple you have never ran a tournament. If you have something constructive to offer, then say it. Fyi, Gapss took the money from umpires $$ saved from last years tournament and reinvested it back into the tournament. What is the name of your team? I will make sure you never play in our money-hungry tournament.

Thanks Troy.

I am in the middle of reading it, but I haven't seen the information on all of the tournaments he has run........I am sure it is in there somewhere.

You are in trouble now PurpleJack. Hey, I checked out your site. Is that photo one of mine? ;D

lol, that is one of the funniest things I have ever read on here.

Take your ball and go home lmao!

I applaud ASA for moving pitching distance at 18Gold to 43 feet
It makes for a better overall game (you could see some offense and there will be more balls to field) and better helps to prepare kids for the BIG step to college.

Mike:

If purplejack was coaching WYBSL (Westerville fall ball) he missed half the games. My DD has played for several years, and we usually play a dozen games. His record of 6-0 and 5-1 are only halfway good.

GAPSS is a class tournament, and adding $4 times a zillion games is more than a small budget impact. And the fees are always in line with other tournaments, expecially considering the top-notch conditions of the fields and the very reasonable concessions. I can't tell you how nice it is to sit on my own personal cooler full of bottled water (which I can pour into my DD between games) without having the prison guards tell me that no personal coolers are permitted, and please buy lots of $3 bottles of water for the girls.

Hang in there.

Sideliner,

Thanks for the kudos. I think anyone that knows me knows that I try my a** off for the kids and the teams. I am not in this for the money, obviously. Smart cracks like Purple's make TD's think twice about having tournaments at all, as I talk to other TD's who have had enough of trying to please everyone. But I will tell you this also, it is the support of most of the people on this site that keeps me going. Funny I haven't seen Purple's tournament directing credentials yet. However, I haven't completed reading his website yet. ;)

ps sideliner,

$4 increase is times 2 umpires, or $8 increase per game. We figure on having close to 350 games played, so that is a decrease in revenue of approx. $3,000 (factoring in also that we have 3 umpires for semi's and finals). Putting it in that perspective, most tournaments need that extra revenue to continue making their tournament top in the field. I can't speak for other tournaments, but any extra revenue is pumped back into our tournament.

Flan--maybe you can clarify this--did you add the $4 increase or plan this increase into your fees or is this something that coaches pay you per game? I'm a new head coach and am a little confused. I've heard nothing but great things about your tourney, so kudos to you, btw.

Loveforsoftball2,

That is the whole problem. ?We knew nothing about the increase when we did our entrants fee proposal to our board (in all fairness, maybe ASA knew nothing about the fee increase in September, but I would think that there would be talk about it at least in the fall leagues). ? ?I guess that is one problem with announcing the 2006 tournament date so early. ?We would have had time to plan it.

We aren't the only tournament that will be effected by this. ?I would think the Stingrays, Gahanna, SGS, etc etc will all have these extra expenses that they did not budget for.

This gets back to having an active commissioner within ASA (see seperate topic on Ron Sanders) who can coordinate with all of the ASA tournaments, what is going on within ASA, from scheduling to fees to availability of umpires, etc. etc.

To answer your question, only Buckeye Heat has to pay the extra $8 fee per game (as I continue to send JoeA some big-time money-making law cases), ? ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, we would never ask any team to pick up the extra umpire fee for 2006. ?Cost of doing business, as they say. ? Just buy some extra $3 water ?;D ;D ;D