Ball possession question?

jbm_11

Reaction score
If a defender(catcher) bobbles a thrown ball for a force out attempt at home and dives after the rolling ball that was not initally caught, is it considered possesion to have your hand on the top of the ball pressing it again to the ground while one foot contacted to the plate? Her hand was around the top of the ball but never lifted the ball to show possession prior to the base runner crossing the plate.

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
If a defender(catcher) bobbles a thrown ball for a force out attempt at home and dives after the rolling ball that was not initally caught, is it considered possesion to have your hand on the top of the ball pressing it again to the ground while one foot contacted to the plate? Her hand was around the top of the ball but never lifted the ball to show possession prior to the base runner crossing the plate.

I am not an umpire, but I would say it would be a judgement call for the blue if the catcher had actual possession of the ball while pressing it against the ground. Yes, it would of been better if the blue had said "show me the ball", but in this case did not, so he/she thought there was enough there to make a call.

I would say "OUT" if I saw the catcher press it into the ground as an infielder would on a play of a non-rolling or slow-rolling ball.

Again, not an umpire, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn this weekend.

gcg3refs

Reaction score
No, that would not be possession just holding the ball on the ground; just pull the ball up a millimeter and that would be good. Holding the ball on top of the base, that would be good if it is a force play.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
The fielder needs to demonstrate secure possession and control of the ball. As mentioned, they can do this by lifting the ball without having to adjust their hand or their grip.

I know that you said this catcher didn't lift her hand before the runner reached the plate, but that isn't necessary. She could lift it after the runner scored and that would still demonstrate control (again, with no adjusting the grip, further bobbling, shifting of the ball, etc).

If the fielder meets all that criteria, showing secure control after the runner reached the base demonstrates that there was secure control before the runner reached the base.

jbm_11

Reaction score
This is the play in question. I did mess with the color of the picture to protect both teams and players. This was called out at the plate by force out with bases loaded and no outs. I just don't understand how he can miss this call.

Attachments

• 20160620_115646.jpg
    20160620_115646.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 27

snoman76

Reaction score
The umpire is seeing this happen at real speed and we are seeing a still image so without video its hard to give an opinion but I will anyway. haha

I would have to assume the catchers foot was on the plate at some point because it doesn't look like it is here.... Regardless of that, based on where her thumb is on the softball, I don't see how she could have control of the ball. It looks more as if her hand is on top of the ball, not grasping it.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
The impression I get from the photo is that the ball was NOT fully grasped or securely held. But without seeing it in person it's hard to say.

Back to square one...was the catcher able to lift the ball from that position, without adjusting her grip on the ball or bobbling it? If yes, then out. If no, then safe.