Base Runner Hit by Thrown Ball and is out

TClarkson

Reaction score
So this is an interesting one: Batter hits a smoking line drive to the fence, rounds second makes her way back to second when is hit by the ball that is thrown from the center fielder. Runner is still at least 8 feet from the bag and the throw is not to anyone (fielder) even close. Home plate ump calls the runner out!

Conference with ump and his ruling is that runner is out due to the ball hitting her. it's explained to the ump that the runner did not attempt to maliciously impede the thrown ball (even though there was no fielder even close to where the ball was being thrown). His statement was that she was hit by the ball, therefore she's out period. I then told him that I didn't realize we were playing whiffle ball and based off his "rule" that I should just have my infielder throw the ball at a passing runner to get them out. His blank stare and the repeating of She's out is all I got.

Couldn't necessarily find this scenario in the rules, but Major league baseball says you can't be out by a thrown ball unless you intentionally try to impede the throw by hitting it, kicking it,, etc.

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
So this is an interesting one: Batter hits a smoking line drive to the fence, rounds second makes her way back to second when is hit by the ball that is thrown from the center fielder. Runner is still at least 8 feet from the bag and the throw is not to anyone (fielder) even close. Home plate ump calls the runner out!

Conference with ump and his ruling is that runner is out due to the ball hitting her. it's explained to the ump that the runner did not attempt to maliciously impede the thrown ball (even though there was no fielder even close to where the ball was being thrown). His statement was that she was hit by the ball, therefore she's out period. I then told him that I didn't realize we were playing whiffle ball and based off his "rule" that I should just have my infielder throw the ball at a passing runner to get them out. His blank stare and the repeating of She's out is all I got.

Couldn't necessarily find this scenario in the rules, but Major league baseball says you can't be out by a thrown ball unless you intentionally try to impede the throw by hitting it, kicking it,, etc.

Hahahahaha, thats the first thing that came to mind, Classic wiffleball!!! Bottom of the inning, weak grounder to first, first baseman pats the ball a few times and throws a seed at the hitter 2 steps from the bag and lights her up..... smh

Last edited:

Stedman00

Reaction score
Only 1 ump I assume? Homeplate rules about player on 2b?

so the next play where the runner slides into the base and the ball hits her versus being caught and tag applied, said base-runner is out???? You sir were a victim of an idiot.

Comp

Reaction score
You had an umpire that needs to go back for some basic training. A base runner has no requirement to avoid being hit by a thrown ball, they simply cannot intentionally interfere with a thrown ball. The play as described should have been nothing but a live ball.

coachjwb

Reaction score
Yikes ... that's something pretty much everyone should know ... was this in high school ball, travel ball or what?

TClarkson

Reaction score
High School in Central Ohio. This particular ump is arrogant and thinks he knows everything. At the end I said, "Sir...you couldn't be any more wrong" and walked away.

TClarkson

Reaction score
2 umps, and I asked why he was ruling on a second base play when the field ump was right there. Of course he wouldn't refer to his colleague who had said the runner was not out after the game. SMH

Only 1 ump I assume? Homeplate rules about player on 2b?

so the next play where the runner slides into the base and the ball hits her versus being caught and tag applied, said base-runner is out???? You sir were a victim of an idiot.

lewam3

Reaction score
You had an umpire that needs to go back for some basic training. A base runner has no requirement to avoid being hit by a thrown ball, they simply cannot intentionally interfere with a thrown ball. The play as described should have been nothing but a live ball.

Reggie!!!!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvWKWvrVfrI

This reminds me how much fun MLB used to be! Love 2:28

Comp

Reaction score
Now thats a different situation. That was a retired runner that got hit by a thrown ball. Retired runners cant simply disappear but the question then becomes umpire judgement as to if the runner stood there to purposely get in the way of the throw.

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, Lewam3. The play where Reggie Jackson intentionally interferes with the throw to 1st to avoid the DP.
Sorry, OP...you were being called by somebody who got their umpire's license from a scalper.
Sheez.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
High School in Central Ohio. This particular ump is arrogant and thinks he knows everything. At the end I said, "Sir...you couldn't be any more wrong" and walked away.

Oh, no! That's my unit!

I didn't think that we had anybody that bad...and it wasn't me, either!