base running question

RRB2

Reaction score
After the runner, runs through first base can they turn to the left and return to first in fair territory without getting tagged out? Myself and another coach were having this discussion and I said turn to the left and return in fair territory because you, by rule, can't be tagged out unless you make a move towards second and they said that you could get tagged out just by being in fair territory. If anyone knows the an exact rule that covers this that would be great. Even better if it proves me right.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yes you can turn left with no advancement or move toward 2nd and you should be OK... well, always depends on the UMP of course but its risky because you never know. you could address it at the pre game meeting with the umpires and get their take on it before the game starts.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
As long as she doesn't do anything that's judged as making an attempt to advance to second base, then after overrunning first base a runner can turn either way and return directly to first base without being in jeopardy of getting tagged out.

That you can be tagged out if you turn to the left after overrunning is one of those enduring rule myths.

Dawgsdad

Reaction score
Why would you turn left after running through the base for an infield hit? No reward for the risk with a variety of umps. I get it may put you a step closer to 2nd on an errant throw but as soon as you make that jerky move and the throw is backed up, you're toast. Just breakdown and walk back down the exact running path along the foul line.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
I'm picturing a turn that is more or less turning in place before returning straight to first base. That wouldn't matter if it was clockwise or counterclockwise.

If an umpire is interpreting that as "an attempt to advance" then I think that he is using poor judgment and misinterpreting the rule.

Also keep separate the actions of "overrunning" first base and "rounding" first base as they are two different things.

RRB2

Reaction score
Well we finally found the ASA rule for this question and it's kind of a mute point because according the the ASA rule:

upload_2018-5-7_15-2-50.png

So the way I'm reading it, once you make the move towards first you have to touch first before you can attempt to go to second. So I guess there is no advantage of turning left and having the umpire make a judgement call and possibly calling the runner out. I guess I will be teaching my girls to turn right tonight at practice.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well we finally found the ASA rule for this question and it's kind of a mute point because according the the ASA rule:

View attachment 2940

So the way I'm reading it, once you make the move towards first you have to touch first before you can attempt to go to second. So I guess there is no advantage of turning left and having the umpire make a judgement call and possibly calling the runner out. I guess I will be teaching my girls to turn right tonight at practice.
i think this rules doesnt state right or left turning but states committing back to first base after they run thru and after they stop change direction and head back to 1st base ( left or right). IF you head back to 1st base after the run thru regardless of which way you turn, you cant change your mind and decide to run to 2nd without touching 1st base again. notice i started with "i think" lol

Last edited:

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 2940

This rule doesn't make seem right - if a runner is heading back & their is action elsewhere on the field - why couldn't that runner do as deemed needed????

Captain_Thunder

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Back up a minute!

The rule posted above applies ONLY when the Look Back rule is in effect.

If the pitcher doesn't have the ball in the circle, etc, etc...then this rule DOES NOT apply!
Now that makes sense....

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Golf clap for BretMan2 !!!