Hitting and Hitters Discussion Batting Helmets

snoman76

Reaction score
We are looking for new batting helmets this year. We've used Easton in the past but the padding doesn't seem to hold up mainly around the ears. Does anyone have better luck with other brands or is this par for the course?

Shane

Reaction score
My son seemed to really like his evoshield helmet this season and it seemed to be durable.

JCellar17

Reaction score
We have used Rip It for 3 years and have had no problems.

Jw04coach

Reaction score
We used Boombah helmets this past year, but Rip It the year before that. Both helmets held up really well, but the Boombah face mask needs the screws tightened every couple weeks for some reason. No padding issues with either.

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
We've gotten Schutt AIR the last couple of years and they have held up better than any previous helmets -
Other helmets have tended to breakdown fairly quickly around the ear padding.

twogirlsdad

Reaction score
I second the Schutt Air! The only thing we have noticed is they tend to be a tad bit on the heavy side, however, it may have been the facemask we added to the helmet, there may be a lighter option.

Deen59

Reaction score
We used Schutt Air and the girls said they were very comfortable. Plus if you go to Schutt's store website, you can design your own helmet.

snoman76

Reaction score
We've gotten Schutt AIR the last couple of years and they have held up better than any previous helmets -
Other helmets have tended to breakdown fairly quickly around the ear padding.

Thats the problem we had with the Easton ones. They are terrible.

JoeA1010

Reaction score
I have used the Schutt Air and for the last few years the Rip-It. Both are good and hold up well. As someone above stated, the Schutt is a heavier helmet and the mask is a little harder to see out of than the Rip-It. I'd recommend the Rip-It of the two, but either is a good option.

MD 20/20

Reaction score
Schutt Air. Hands down. The reason that they are heavier is that they are implementing the Football helmet technology into the softball helmet. With the amount of time it's on their heads, I'll trade a little more weight for the protection.

Mshep

Reaction score
I agree 100% with MD! As much emphasis that is put on concussions these days Schutt is the best helmet out there. In my opinion. Most other helmets only have the one size fits all helmets with the same cheap foam padding they have had for many years. Helmets are the best place to spend a little extra money. Again... My opinion.

cincystorm

Reaction score
I always wanted Schutt Batting Helmets, one of the best reasons is that Capital Varsity in Oxford is an approved Schutt Reconditioner, we normally would take them up there and for a nominal fee they would clean them, re-certify them and repaint them. This included replacing any padding in the helmet that was loose or worn, the only thing we did was remove the facemask and then re install them if they were in usable condition, otherwise we would just replace them. Our helmets every year looked like new, but on average we got 3-4 years out of them, IMHO if you have a young team and plan on sticking together for a few years this is the way to go.