Hitting and Hitters Discussion Batting / Hitting clinics

wendyc5056

Reaction score
I'm searching for some hitting clinics for my daughter but I'm having trouble finding some. I found maybe two here and sent one email for a softball academy. My DD has a hitting coach but we're moving very slowly and between two coaches for different teams and her hitting coach, all with different ways, she's in a huge slump trying to put all these mechanics into play. Does anyone know of a good place to find camps and clinics or anyone know of any upcoming clinics in Ohio?

Thanks for any input :rolleyes:

Stedman00

Reaction score
ok. i'm a little confused here. Sounds as if your DD is making slow progress due to conflicting instruction she is getting, but you are asking for additional camps to send her too??? Why would you send her to receive additional, potentially conflicting, instruction??

IMO, find her the best hitting instructor you can, take her to multiple weeks of lessons, make sure that she does all the assigned homework from said instructor, and politely ignore the respective coaches advice.

Bottom line- coaches don't care what she looks like at the plate, as long as she hits the ball solidly and is productive. helmet on backwards, crossed hands, step in a bucket, etc. ALL criticism of swing will disappear if shes cracking the ball all over the field.

just my .02

tjsmize3

Reaction score
Bottom line- coaches don't care what she looks like at the plate, as long as she hits the ball solidly and is productive. helmet on backwards, crossed hands, step in a bucket, etc. ALL criticism of swing will disappear if shes cracking the ball all over the field.

just my .02

Lol... so true! Seen plenty of less than perfect mechanics at every level up to D1 power 5... just not helmet on backwards!!!

I would add that slumps are largely psychological. If she is really thinking in the box about her mechanics this is extremely counterproductive to what you are trying to accomplish. Sometimes just keeping the swing simple, for example limiting pre-pitch movements or striding, can help her focus more on just getting barrel to the ball and less about the 25 different things she's been told to work on mechanically. With my kids when "slumps" came we did the following: never talk about it or say "slump", increase front toss reps during the week, eliminate big stride/open stance/excessive pre-pitch movements/etc... and stay perfectly on balance throughout the swing (i.e. hold finish with no falling over in any direction). Obviously anything that can help your daughter keep it simple, stay balanced and not think in the box is going to improve results. As Stedman00 said, going to more clinics and putting more voices in her head may not be the best approach.

Dougk30

Reaction score
My opinion... one million swings in a cage with no coaching. As long as her swing is not way out of wack. Coaches will try and fine tune to the nth degree and put to many thoughts in the kids head. Just by throwing her front toss will greatly help her hand, eye coordination, and the biggest result will come from the confidence they get from working so hard at it.

Last edited: